screw in tire...possible to patch/plug? - photos included

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
justoffthecoast

screw in tire...possible to patch/plug? - photos included

Post by justoffthecoast »

I've been losing about 10psi/week on my rear passenger tire, so I took it in to NTB this morning to get a patch. They told me they couldn't patch it because it's too close to the sidewall. I'm no tire expert, but it looks to me like there's a solid inch or more between the screw and the sidewall. These are also the same guys that mounted a directional tire backwards for me, so I tend to be skeptical of anything they say.http://freshzive.com/misc/tire.JPGhttp: ... ire3.JPGIs this feasible to patch? What are the odds that another mechanic would do it for me? Has anyone had success with do-it-yourself kits, and if so, what do you recommend?
star_deceiver

Re: screw in tire...possible to patch/plug? - photos included (justoffthecoast)

Post by star_deceiver »

That should be a simple 10 minute job for any tire shop. Take it somewhere else, especially if they can't figure out which way the direction arrow goes...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Whitegts

Re: screw in tire...possible to patch/plug? - photos included (justoffthecoast)

Post by Whitegts »

I have been plugging my tires for years now. I have never had a failure doing this. I just buy the one kit you can get at any auto parts store or even wal-mart. There is plenty of how to's on the net. And yes that should have been plugged by them, it doesn't look to close. Thats kinda why I started doing it myself since they would always try to sell me a new tire instead of fixing it.
2004 Moonstone Base A/T
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Take it somewhere else, especially if they can't figure out which way the direction arrow goes...Take it somewhere else. I wouldn't go back to a shop that can't install a directional tire the right way.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Tires 1 and 3 are not fixable too close to the shoulder or edge of tire.Tire 2 is close and should be fixable with a plug.there is a picture I have seen at shops and cant seem to find on the internet that shows the safe areas that can be patched on a tire.
justoffthecoast

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by justoffthecoast »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »Tires 1 and 3 are not fixable too close to the shoulder or edge of tire.Tire 2 is close and should be fixable with a plug.there is a picture I have seen at shops and cant seem to find on the internet that shows the safe areas that can be patched on a tire.They're all pictures of the same tire.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

I'd fix it if it were mine. Got the materials in my garage, swing on by!My money's on that they want to sell you a new tire.I HATE incompetence in auto repair / service!!!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

And another site states different...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I'd plug it, unless the screw is long and angled out towards the sidewall. I carry a plug kit and compressor in the car, have only needed it twice in the Vibe, really handy when you need it.Shops around here won't plug tires, they unmount them and patch the inside. I have had good luck with plugs though.
jake75

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »Tires 1 and 3 are not fixable too close to the shoulder or edge of tire.Tire 2 is close and should be fixable with a plug.there is a picture I have seen at shops and cant seem to find on the internet that shows the safe areas that can be patched on a tire.All pic of same - priceless!
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
TONY TAT2

Re: screw in tire...possible to patch/plug? - photos included (star_deceiver)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

I would have my S-I -L do a inside patch. I just use the plug type untill I can get the tire over to him. Way back I had some1 ice pick the sidewalls on my new 79 El Camino,I had the sidewalls patched from the inside & had them install Radial Tubes,no problemes with the tubes at all,ran them till it needed new tires.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

You're pretty much at the outer edge of repairable area but it is fine. I carry a plug kit with me and usually plug em without even taking it off the car. Buy a kit at the auto parts store for $5 and do it yourself, then carry the kit with you.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Even a person can do a patch-plug themselves at home and have the shop re-mount the tire later on at a different location.day.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I'd plug that in a heartbeat... FYI, the plug kits with the T handle tools are SOOOOOOOOOO much easier to use than the straight handle screwdriver type tools... Make sure the kit comes with rubber cement, it both lubes the plug, so it's easier to insert and it also glues it in place, once it's dried... FWIW, I've NEVER once had an issue with a plug job I've performed... I've done them on my Subaru, in which I used to rally around on the dirt roads out here all the time, on plugs.. I've not been easy to some of my tires... lol..
cq358

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by cq358 »

I've work in the dealership for 5 years .. I plug few hundreds tires in this toyota dealership. Base on my experience, all 3 tires can be plug. Spend 10 bucks and buy a T handle plug kit should be good enough.Just remember to pump the tire to 45 psi before you plug it.. so it will make your life easier. ( it easier to plug a fully inflated tire .. but never exceed the side wall maximum pressure)Try cut off a coroner off (Bevel)from the rubber strip so you can insert into the hole on the T handle more easily.put lot of glue (came with the kit) on the rubber stripPull the nail out use the (removed) screw tool and try enlarge the hole a little bit..by pushing in and out two times..Fully plush the T handle into the hole all the way inmake a half turn (180) on the handle and pull the T handle thing out as fast as possible.Cut off the excess rubber strippour soap water on the repaired are and confirm nothing leakif still leaking air then use a side cutter and pull the rubber strip out again and re do the procedure
Sublimewind

Re: (cq358)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by cq358 »Fully plush the T handle into the hole all the way inmake a half turn (180) on the handle and pull the T handle thing out as fast as possible.Cut off the excess rubber strippour soap water on the repaired are and confirm nothing leakif still leaking air then use a side cutter and pull the rubber strip out again and re do the procedureI agree with everything up to this point Sir... i've had plugs fall off inside of the tire on my when I pushed the plug ALL the way through.... I like to push the plug in 3/4 of the way (slowly, it can be difficult), turn it 1/4-1/2 turn and yank it back out... That way I KNOW, the plug is in place and in place GOOD.. Otherwise, yep...
cq358

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by cq358 »

Thanks Sublime,3/4 way in also good too.. it really depends the quality of the rubber strip.. I wish I can buy those grey and smooth rubber strip that made in japan.. somehow my shop foreman manage to get it from a tire supply store.but since i don't work in the dealership anymore and have to rely on those black sponge like cheap rubber patch strip which sometime do get stuck and never come out even you pull it slowly. It is just way too thick for needle eye on the t shape tool to slice it properly..enough complain but we still manage save at least 80 bucks from patching it in the tire shop.It is on God's script that we need to run over the nail some day. we are just following God's plan and have to learn how to deal with it..
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Forgot to mention this, but worst case is have a shop dismount the tire from the rim, take the tire home, plug-patch it yourself, and then take the tire back to another shop, have it mounted and re-balanced + installed...
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

And even if the manager refuses to do business with you, have a chat with the guys actually doing the work. Cash under the table and/or beer can get a lot of work done!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)