vibe's hurt, took a few hits on the chin (pic heavy)

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
bodhi_tree777

vibe's hurt, took a few hits on the chin (pic heavy)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

What a day. We had some pretty serious, 50-60 mph winds here last night. My wife, daughter and I pulled up in front of our house just before the storm hit. Got the family in the house, turned around to grab some stuff out of the back just in time to see the wind pick up fiercely and just in time to see several bent pieces of metal fly out of nowhere and slam into my car (and yard and house). I stayed on the porch and watched pieces of this stuff fly into traffic and soar down the street. Power goes out. Storm dies down, so I go out to investigate. We have a restaurant 3 doors down from our house and it lost a chunk of its' roof. The debris flew all over the place, and nailed the Vibe on 3 sides. Nobody was hurt, and I took the opportunity to snap a few pics last night with the debris still stuck under my car. This morning, I took some daylight pics and found scratches *everywhere*, including a big gouge on the windshield. Took it to the dealership body shop for an insurance estimate today, and got an estimate of nearly $3000. The windshield, mirror and several pieces of plastic trim will need to be replaced, and there's quite a bit of painting to be done. PITA. See photos below, and you guys would ****** if you saw the itemized cost of some of these parts. Oh, and to top it all off, we drove it to go get dinner during the outage and my stock, weakling battery finally died in the Quiznos parking lot. Time for a new one Lots of pics:
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
BlueCrush

Re: vibe's hurt, took a few hits on the chin (bodhi_tree777)

Post by BlueCrush »

Jeez, It looks like every freakin' body panel has damage...Sorry to hear, man. hope you get her fixed quick. The impotant think is you and your family are ok and didn't get hit with that stuff while getting out of your car!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Man, that sucks! Got the crap kicked out of her! That was a nasty windstorm yesterday, it roared through here before it made its way to you.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

All our Vibes share your pain.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
bodhi_tree777

Re: vibe's hurt, took a few hits on the chin (BlueCrush)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Jeez, It looks like every freakin' body panel has damage...Sorry to hear, man. hope you get her fixed quick. The impotant think is you and your family are ok and didn't get hit with that stuff while getting out of your car! 45 seconds earlier, and we would've been in the line of fire. phew.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I wonder of the restaurant's liability insurance would provide any coverage.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
joholste

Re: vibe's hurt, took a few hits on the chin (jake75)

Post by joholste »

i feel your pain bud.i'm trying to get my car back, and the repairs just keep piling up, everytime they put it on the alignment machine they need to order something else....i miss my baby
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »I wonder of the restaurant's liability insurance would provide any coverage.Unfortunately, no. "Act of god" type of incident, no way to hold the restaurant liable unless you could somehow prove that the shoddy workmanship on their roof was to blame, or they had received some sort of warning about it prior to the storm and didn't act. That's the really lame part in all of this, is that I get socked with a $250 deductable that I can't really afford at the moment. I may have to forego some of the repairs, maybe, to try and recoup that money. Lesson learned to all you guys who try to save a few bucks a month by having a $500 or $1000 deductable. I just recently changed mine to the $250, luckily. Should hear back from the insurance company's adjuster today.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Dam man, could you imagine the gouge you woulda had in your head, had you been out getting thing out of the car when that hit... it's just a car, but you are you, and having all your bits is what counts..
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I have always had $500 ded on collision but $50 ded on comprehensive which I think is the coverage for this type of damage.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

so I might end up getting a check for some of this, in addition to some repairs. The insurance company, sometimes, will pay off to the owner instead of doing the repair if both parties consider it "tolerable damage" (i.e. cosmetic stuff, like the gouged up cladding). I might go ahead and get the windshield and paint taken care of, and just lived with some dinged up plastic.All of the cladding that is damaged has to be replaced, it can't be repaired due to the texture. Just the little piece that arcs halfway over the rear tire (the pic with the big gouge, above), goes for over $500 apparently. I find out monday what their offer is. So would you guys take some of the $$ to cover the deductible (and pay off some of the car), or would you get it all fixed?
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Just got off the phone with my insurance adjuster, and they've corrected their quote to $4062 in damage. $2000 of that is for replacement of 4 pieces of plastic cladding, the rest is for paint on almost all of the rest of the car, as well as a new windshield. I cannot believe that the cladding costs that much, that's crazy. I'm going to try and talk the bank into letting me live with the scratched plastic and plunk that money down on the car itself, but we'll see. I'm also going to be without vibe for 5 days while they sort all of this out.
bodhi_tree777

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

little update, I had a glass company come out and replace my windshield and surround while I'm at work (they're out doing it as I type this). Got to go out on my lunch break and watch, was interesting to see what some of those unseen bits around the glass look like. Was also interesting to note the rust building up on some of the framework down in the guts behind the dash ..it's the same kind of surface rust that some of you probably have on various brackets in your engine bay, just untreated metal courtesy of NUMMI. Hope that doesn't cause problems down the line, but it's not too advanced. Wish I had a camera. On the upside, my new glass is the kind with the nifty blue-ish tint that fades down about 6" from the top (rather than the thin, pixelated kind I had before). Cost the same as the no-tint version. I'll get pics up when I get the chance (I had to laugh, it occurs to me I've been reading this forum for over a year and the first pics of my car that I've posted were the ones above, with storm damage. None too pretty . The paint repairs will happen next Monday, and my bank was good enough to let me forego the cladding replacement and pay down my loan by a good two grand instead.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ouch. pics and events like that make me happy I have a garage. we had some severe wind storms in Jan that took off our satellite dish off the roof and one panel of the fence in the backyard. can only imagine the damage the cars would have taken if they had been outside.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

Oh man, that sucks...
NascarXprt

Re: (Amtron)

Post by NascarXprt »

man that sucks, about a month ago we had a nasty storm cut through here with nasty hail, my windshield got chewed up with small nicks but it doesnt effect my driving so im good right now. hope everything gets sorted out and for the best was well.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
bodhi_tree777

Re: (NascarXprt)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

finally got my car back yesterday (woohoo)! I ended up having the roof, hood, front fenders and front bumper repainted and the windshield replaced. I skipped the touchup painting on the doors and hatch (minor stuff), and skipped the replacement of the cladding. It looks like a brand new car if you don't look at the doors too closely (and gives my front side paint a new lease on life), and I got to shave $2400 off of my car loan. Sweet. Act of god is right, I needed that little bit of help pics coming soon, need a day off.....