Really need some help

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
GoodVibErations2004

Really need some help

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

So my drive to work yesterday morning was uneventful. Ecept for the 1/4 inch layer of ice i had to scrape off every window before i began my drive. * hours later I got in my car to drive home(it was raining) and when i started backing out my attention was grabbed by a somewhat copious amount of water leaking from just above the A pillar. It wasnt coming from the window(as i first thought) but from the headliner. Has anyone else had this problem or know what I can do to fix it? Im guessing its a leak caused by moisture freezing, opening a crack, and thawing leaving an open hole for more moiture to enter. I also am guessing I will have to take apart that corner of the headliner and look to see just what damage is done. Ive enclosed a picture of the moisture. also it seemed the rain did not add to the amount of moisture leaking inside. What i mean is it seemed to stop leaking by the time i got to my destination even though it was still raining

Attached files
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
keithvibe

Re: Really need some help (GoodVibErations2004)

Post by keithvibe »

the leak could be miles away. The back of the headliner has a very slight coating on the fibers to keep them together so the water may have just rolled to that location. Do you have a sunroof? If so I would bet the water is coming from there there, or the door frame itself, there isn't any else close to that area that would cause that unless your winshield rubber gasket gave way a bit to alow the water in. If you don't have side airbags you can simply pull your "a" pillar cover off. I would suggest that if your going to try and look above the headliner that you drop it entirely. If you need help doing that, let me know I can walk you threw it.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
GoodVibErations2004

i will definitely need help with that..... lol and some warm weather on saturday. just need to know what all needs to be removed to take it down
dianebrat

Post by dianebrat »

I had a similar looking leak in a previous car about 10 years ago, have a sunroof? that was the root cause of mine, blocked sunroof drainage passages.
last of the '06 AWDslava red monotone, preferred, sport, and side airbags
kunkstyle

Re: (dianebrat)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by dianebrat »I had a similar looking leak in a previous car about 10 years ago, have a sunroof? that was the root cause of mine, blocked sunroof drainage passages.+1. I had that happen this spring. Try thawing the car out, too. It may have been ice blocking said passages.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
GoodVibErations2004

hmmmm that may be what it was. got themoonroof.(which reminds me what's the difference between the sunroof and moonroof?) The car thawed past few days but we'resupposed to be below freezing now through next week. so is this going to be a repeat problem? and how do I go about solving it? like clearing the sunroof channels
ColonelPanic

Re: (GoodVibErations2004)

Post by ColonelPanic »

IIRC there's a couple TSB's about roof leaks but I can't find any at the moment. One was very specific to the leak above the A-pillar, maybe someone else can help.One TSB involves a plugged moonroof drain tube. There are four, one in each corner.The other pertains to a defective seal for a seam in the roof which lets water leak into the inside of the car...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by GoodVibErations2004 »hmmmm that may be what it was. got themoonroof.(which reminds me what's the difference between the sunroof and moonroof?)"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.Hmmm, so all moonroofs are sunroofs, yet not all sunroofs are moonroofs? We found further clarification -- "sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back that nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).True sunroofs, those made just of metal, appear to have gone the way of 8-tracks in automobiles, and these days, most "sunroofs" are really "moonroofs" -- panels of tempered glass, usually tinted, that tilt up to allow a flow of air, or slide back into the roof entirely, giving the car occupants a brief but tantalizing glimpse of life in a convertible.Looks like your going to have to drop the headliner to check all your drain tubes.Hit me up in PM if you need some help.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
kunkstyle

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »True sunroofs, those made just of metal, appear to have gone the way of 8-tracks in automobiles, and these days, most "sunroofs" are really "moonroofs" Some cars still have sunroofs. And a CD player, no 8-track
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
GoodVibErations2004

so it was raining hella hard this morning and guess what! im leaking again. same spot. Ill have to take her apart this weekend and investigate...... yay 4 leaks!!!!!! gah
hskater26

Post by hskater26 »

this happens in my car too i cant figure it out so i just tell my gf to watch out when i make corners after it rains and goes all over her haha
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
hskater26

Re: (hskater26)

Post by hskater26 »

althlough i dont recommend my way because i have some nasty water stains on my seats now
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
jake75

Re: (hskater26)

Post by jake75 »

Precisely why I do not care to have a sunroof/moonroof. Paying $1,000 extra for a potential water leak just isn't my cup of tea. But then I have a phobia in regard to water leaks, whether it be in a carm my roof, my dishwasher etc..
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
bodhi_tree777

Re: (keithvibe)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.Hmmm, so all moonroofs are sunroofs, yet not all sunroofs are moonroofs? We found further clarification -- "sunroof" is the term originally used to describe a metal panel that would only allow light or air in when opened. A "moonroof," on the other hand, is a glass panel that can allow light in even when it is closed (provided, of course, you slide back that nifty fabric-covered panel to expose the glass).True sunroofs, those made just of metal, appear to have gone the way of 8-tracks in automobiles, and these days, most "sunroofs" are really "moonroofs" -- panels of tempered glass, usually tinted, that tilt up to allow a flow of air, or slide back into the roof entirely, giving the car occupants a brief but tantalizing glimpse of life in a convertible.Looks like your going to have to drop the headliner to check all your drain tubes.Hit me up in PM if you need some help.I wonder if I started referring to them as a "skyroof" if it would catch on? What do you think guys, skyroof? yeah?
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by GoodVibErations2004 »so it was raining hella hard this morning and guess what! im leaking again. same spot. Ill have to take her apart this weekend and investigate...... yay 4 leaks!!!!!! gahget yourself a 10mm socket and 14mm socket and a screwdriver (flat and a #2philps) and you are set to drop the headliner.Remove the sunvisors, with the phillips head screwdriverpop off the A pillars (if you have side air bags disconnect your battery and then turn on your head lights to drain any power left behind)Unbolt the B pillars bolts that hold in the upper seatbelt 14mm socket here.Pry back the B pillar trim, and lift up it's connected by tabs in the center.Pop off the trim on the light up by the rear view mirror and remove the screw (phillpshead)Then open both front doors pull down the door weatherstripping to alow the headliner to move a bit.Then get in the back seat and do the same pull down the weather stripping. You may not need to go any further to allow access to the drain tube. If you do PM me and I can give you the rest of the instructions to drop the headliner.
4azdmunky

Re: Really need some help (GoodVibErations2004)

Post by 4azdmunky »

Some of the Mini Coopers here in Denver are having a similar problem. The problem here is Magchloride (sp?) getting between the seals and causing leaks. Its also has been getting into the sensor plugs and causing issues there too.Might just need a good pressure wash, in addition to what has been posted here.
GoodVibErations2004

I didn't really do anything except jiggle a drainage tube. but I guess that worked because we've gotten quite a bit of rainsince and no leaks.... KNOCK KNOCK(on a wooden type surface)
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by GoodVibErations2004 »hmmmm that may be what it was. got themoonroof.(which reminds me what's the difference between the sunroof and moonroof?) The car thawed past few days but we'resupposed to be below freezing now through next week. so is this going to be a repeat problem? and how do I go about solving it? like clearing the sunroof channelsThe original sunroofs were canvas covered holes in your roof that slid back and gathered at the rear. Think old Citreon or VW bug and Van. These ended back in the 60's though Jeep did just bring out a fabric sun roof once again.As mentioned moon roofs have a glass panel, sunroofs have a metal roof panel.Before ripping out your headliner locate the drain tubes and make sure they are clear. A small wire can help to dislodge a small blockage. Be careful not to push the rubber tube off of the metal nipple. You may find a piece of leaf or other tree debris clearly blocking the drain hole.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)