09 Vibe 1.8l vibration @ highway speed

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
taimat

09 Vibe 1.8l vibration @ highway speed

Post by taimat »

Anyone else notice this? When cruising at 60 - 70 mph (anywhere in there, just hold constant speed) I get a one and off vibration mostly in the floor, but you feel it in seat and stearing wheel. Passenger can feel too. It's not unbalanced tire - I know what that feels like. It's almost like driving over very small rumble strips placed equally apart.. rumbleeeeeeeeee... off.... rumbleeeeeeee. off.... rumbblllleee.... etc.It's enough to annoy me, but not enough to suggest an emergency problem.Just my little automatic 1.8l? or accross the board?Thanks!
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I haven't noticed it. I'll pay attention to that to see if it's there in mine.
"Draco" 09 Steel Blue Base Vibe 1.8, auto, moonroofR.I.P. "FROST" 06 Frosty White Base Vibe, auto, Moonroof and Monsoontotalled when a bus t-boned us.
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

I have noticed that with mine too at highway speeds. 1.8L automatic. Its like someone going Hummmmm .. pause .. hummmm.. pause... etc etc and you can feel it in your hands and seat. I just assume that its the way the motor runs in 4th gear, its been like that since i got it. It can be rather annoying tho if you focus on it...
Paleogirl2003

Post by Paleogirl2003 »

I also notice this vibration and it is driving me nuts! I have an hour commute each way to work and my hands and arms are starting to ache because of it! I mentioned it to the dealer, and they went up to 70mph and claimed they could not feel it. I do not know what to do - I have had balances, rotations, and alignments, all to no avail.Anyone else having this issue or know how to resolve it? I have also noticed that when braking, the steering wheel visibly vibrates back and forth, and sometimes it pulls to one side or another.
Love my 08 Vibe
joatmon

Re: (Paleogirl2003)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by Paleogirl2003 »I have also noticed that when braking, the steering wheel visibly vibrates back and forth, and sometimes it pulls to one side or another.vibration when braking is often related to a brake rotor. Probably not the cause of the hum pause hum pause though.
Paleogirl2003

Re: (joatmon)

Post by Paleogirl2003 »

Thanks Joatmon, Next time I have it in I will make sure they check that, thought the checklist they give you when you have it serviced always says everything is fine.~Kelly
Love my 08 Vibe
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

I have never found it to be bad enough to cause discomfort, I have had out of balance tires and this is nothing like it. It just seems to be the drone of the engine when driving at highway speeds. If the vibrating is increaseing during braking then it is definatly the tires. But this humming has nothing to do with the tires it is definatly the engine or at least something related to that.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

The noise is the road surface when it was constructed and the OEM tires.hummmmm [pause] hummmm [pause] hummmmm ^^^^^^^^------------^^^^^^^---------- ^^^^^^^^^One Section----------One Section----------One Sectionof pavement---------of pavement----------of pavement This is a crude diagram, but the hummm noise is on the pavement and then there is silence or a pause this is then the break in between sections when they were constructed/poured. A different tire would be quieter; suggest looking into that.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
ajconover

Re: 09 Vibe 1.8l vibration @ highway speed (taimat)

Post by ajconover »

Mine is a '06, but I notice a similar phenomenon. Do you notice it when cornering as well? I actually notice a bit of a "grind" like hum mostly when veering left at about 45 mph.I also get a similar -- but very subtle -- vibration/hum at highway speeds, but it is more noticeable on concrete than asphalt... I thought it was the wheel bearings at first, but having those checked out, I suspect that it might just be tire tread "hum" resonating through the suspension.I've also found that the Vibe is pretty sensitive to the tires being even slightly out of balance. I had a steering wheel vibration even after having the tires balanced at local shop. (They are good guys, but have some pretty old equipment). When I finally had the tires "run-out" balanced, the steering wheel vibration stopped... but I still get the "hum" which seems to resonate through the floorboards.
2006 Stealth two-tone Vibe -- Automatic -- "Preferred Package" -- Otherwise, stock.
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

I tried listening for it today and the noise has deminished quite abit since about 2000 km ago (my cars at 7000 km now). I could barely notice it and only felt it through the gas pedal rather then also through your hands and seat like when i first got the car. The type of pavement seems to make no difference, i drive the same stretch of highway everyday and there are now lengths of new pavement and old, and it makes no difference. And i only notice it when increasing speed or holding the same speed. If i take my foot off the gas the humm disappears. I'm sure its just the drone of the engine... either way i'm not concerned about it.
taimat

Re: (GenuineVibe)

Post by taimat »

I drove 200 miles across Ohio with cruise set. Pavement didn't matter. It seems like it could be the torque converter - possibly... although, it is possible it is the tires, especially if you say yours has slowly gone away. I am still only 998 miles as of today.Thanks for all the replies! MY Stealer felt the vibrations, and was going to test the first 1.8l auto they got in again to see if a 1mile vibe would do it also.
Easton091

Re: (taimat)

Post by Easton091 »

Have them they check the fuel lines off the motor. We had one in the other day that had fuel lines loose causing a vibration
09 Red Hot Metallic Vibe GT
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

let me know what the dealer finds out.
ou.grizzly

Re: (Easton091)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Easton091 »Have them they check the fuel lines off the motor. We had one in the other day that had fuel lines loose causing a vibrationWhat dealer do you work at? It is Somerset?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

Ok, I was wrong, the humming is still there, was really noticeing it today. If anyone find out what that is that would be great.
markus

Post by markus »

just bought new 2009 vibe...and also feel it invibriations coming through floor and stearing wheel...at highway speed...did anyone found out what's causing it?...thanks...
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Putting money on the tires.
ou.grizzly

Re: (markus)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by markus »...but it sounds like "vibrations" coming out of engine...Like a cell phone vibrating? Can you describe the type of vibrating for me please.
Silversn95

Post by Silversn95 »

Is it only the automatics? I have had ours on the highway a few times and there isn't anything out of the ordinary. Could it be the torque converter locking and unlocking?
2009 Pontiac Vibe - 1.8L 5-speed 1SB Carbon Gray Metallic with 20% tint
Caretaker

Re: 09 Vibe 1.8l vibration @ highway speed (taimat)

Post by Caretaker »

taimat, you are dead on. It only seems to occur between 60-70. After 70, I don't hear the resonance anymore. I have the 1.8 automatic.
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

It appears to be the 4 speed automatics that are doing it. I dont know anything about cars so if it is the torque converter is that a bad thing? At 9000km its still making the noise at highway speeds (100 - 120km/h). Its hard to explain the humming its kind of like a cellphone i suppose but it is continueous... hummm...hummm...hummm drone of the engine until you drop below highway speeds.
safooma

Post by safooma »

Are the 2.4s mated to the same auto tranny as the 1.8? I ask because my mother-in-low will be storing her 09 matrix at my house for a month while she travels back east. It's a 2.4 auto. I'd be willing to take it for a few test drives and listen for the vibration.....
Silver 2009 Base 1.8 5spdMPG info for my vibe: http://www.cleanmpg.com/index....=2758
daffod

Post by daffod »

Damn right i have 09 vibe 1.8L and auto trans and i feel that hummming at high speed. its there and i noticed from 700 KM today i have 1100 KM and its pain in neck hurts my hand now. i am taking to dealer and i will show him this thread and ask for some solid explanation.
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

If someone can get it solved, i will have my car in to the dealership asap, hopefully it will turn into a mass recall if we can get it fixed.
markus

Post by markus »

SOLUTION...to all that have this problem...GET YOUR VEHICLE to your Dealership!!! because GM does not know it is a probelm!!! and haven't received any complaints!!!..so don't wait for a solution because IT STARTS with YOU!!!!...
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

Its not a big enough issue for me to bother with the dealership right now. 90% of the time they just waste your time and give you the same "we didn't hear anything", or "we couldn't re-create the problem" or whatever, meanwhile they have had your car for 3 days to "look" at it. You know how it goes. I'll get them to check it when it goes in for its routine maitanence in a few months.
daffod

Post by daffod »

thing i noticed was even i am cursing at 80 miles and take my foot off the gas that humming goes away. comes back up as soon as i press gas but at any lower speed than 100 Km/hr or 65 miles i get no hummming. start at 65 and above and stays on as long as i keep my foot on gas.
Caretaker

Re: (daffod)

Post by Caretaker »

you are correct daffod; the vibration goes away the moment you take your foot off the pedal. Mine occurs between 60-70 mph. I was going 80 yesterday and had no vibration. As soon as I entered the zone with my foot on the gas, I could feel and hear the resonance. It definitely is NOT the tires, and has something to do with the tranny or engine.
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

It is the same for me... right now i haven't really heard it but my winter tire noise is overpowering the humming noise, since we have no snow at the moment.
Caretaker

Re: (GenuineVibe)

Post by Caretaker »

Does anyone know if Matrix chat pages are reporting the same thing, and if they have heard of any action taken at Toyota?
jasonvibe

Re: (Paleogirl2003)

Post by jasonvibe »

Paleogirl-"I have also noticed that when braking, the steering wheel visibly vibrates back and forth, and sometimes it pulls to one side or another."Paleogirl-That shake happens to many of these...Mine has gotten worse. I am dealing with it and going to fix it in the spring. Since you are under warranty. It's time to be a pain. Get in the car with the dealer on a warm day. Have him drive it at 60+ then hit the brakes on an off ramp. Or better down a steep hill.High speeds, and down hills heat the brakes and show the problem. I suspect with many of these Vibes.... "Shakey , shakey" in the steering. Tell them to fix the thing.If he does not feel the shake. Knee him, and ask him if he feels that? Shake when braking is not a normal thing for any new car.
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
markus

Post by markus »

similar problem?....link:http://townhall-talk.edmunds.c...5194f
beaks

I have this now

Post by beaks »

2009 Pontic Vibe, 2.4 AWD3,103 on the ODOGrinding, vibratingFirst time was a horrendus grinding, My wife and I plcace it comming from midline of the car. It happened after driving HW speed with no issues. We were at a stop light and it changed green. Pulled into a lot and crawled underneath, found nothing. Pull out of the lot and no issues. 1 week later violent vibrating at 50 MPH + only go worse at higher speeds. Like hanging on to my Stihl MS441 through oak. Gave me a headache. Parked it in the garage for class and drove home, no issues.I can't duplicate it or cause this. It's not road conditions, tires in or out of balance. Suspension is tight, wheels are tight. I suspect something in the drivetrain.Please tell me someone has the fix.
sdavis

Post by sdavis »

everytime I have this issue its either been a warped brake rotor (cheap chinese-made), or alignment is slightly off.Solution: get alignment if alignment related. Check rotors by jacking car and spinning tire... if there is resistance at a certain point in rotation, then rotors are warped. Spend extra few $$ on quality Canadian or USA made rotors.
sdavis

Post by sdavis »

here is another post that may offer a suggestion for automatic trannies; bad belt???:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=28261