Window Recall

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Vibe_dude

Window Recall

Post by Vibe_dude »

Just wondering if anyone has recieved their recall notice yet..still waiting on mine.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
ToolGuy

Re: Window Recall (Vibe_dude)

Post by ToolGuy »

Not here, none for me yet...
awfavre

Re: Window Recall (ToolGuy)

Post by awfavre »

I contacted Jim Waldron Pontiac in Davison, Michigan (where I have most maintenance done) about the recall back when it first happened. Last week, they contacted me & said they spent some time trying to get official word from GM about the recall, but GM still won’t officially tell them anything about it. However, they offered to go ahead & fix it gratis without waiting for official word from GM. Pretty classy of them, I thought.
stynkmonkey

Re: Window Recall (awfavre)

Post by stynkmonkey »

This is a quote from http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 16, 2008 TO TOYOTA OWNERS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON MAY 21, 2008, FOR PONTIAC OWNERS. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-888-270-9371 OR PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668
w8_4_me

Post by w8_4_me »

being new to this....what is happening with the wndows?
sloth

Post by sloth »

I haven't gotten a notice yet, however my dealership was just notified of the Recall on Tuesday.My dad is the Parts Manager and I asked him about it on Friday. The warranty guy there said that he can see that something is coming on Friday but they haven't got anything official...until Tuesday morning.
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

Just made my appointment for next week.......happened to be in the dealership for mudflaps and thought i would look to see if the recall had come out yet..she asked me when i wanted to bring it in.lol.....so i guess its out here in Canada.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
ToolGuy

Re: (w8_4_me)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by w8_4_me »being new to this....what is happening with the wndows? Hey! There are many threads on this here is one for example...http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=28290
DiveNut

Post by DiveNut »

Got mine today.
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
RSTuningFactory

Post by RSTuningFactory »

just got mine today,question : I can just go to any pontiac dealer, or I have to go back to the one where I purchased the Vibe?
2003 Vibe GT.
ColonelPanic

Re: (RSTuningFactory)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Any Pontiac dealer will do!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

i just got mine. i'm going to try and take it in today. probably not going to happen until next week though.
None. Vibe is gone.
breezd

Post by breezd »

Got mine yesterday. Tried settin up an appointment yesterday, but the local dealer said they won't have the parts in til the middle of next week??? So I have to call back on Wednesday to schedule my appointment.
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

got mine friday.gonna try to make an appointment next week. woohoo
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

I got a phone call from Turpin yesterday informing me my Vibe was under a recall. They left a voicemail so I didn't get a chance to tell them I don't have it anymore.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
June

Post by June »

Funny to see this thread. I just got mine in the mail today too. I remember searching this very same issues months ago just thinking it was another one of those common things on the vibe. Looks like I have to go ahead and schedule the service. It'll sure be nice to close the window without hearing that awful crunching sound.
June04 Neptune Vibe, Auto, Monotone, Moons/Tunes, 43k
soonerfan

Re: Window Recall (tribalman)

Post by soonerfan »

I just purchased a 05 Vibe yesteday and love it! I discovered this forum last night while searching for info and ran across this topic. I checked my front windows and they have the same issues as others have reported. I also noticed my rear windows are very loose as well. Any idea if the recall pertains to them as well, or is it the front only? Thanks for all of the great information!!
kostby

Post by kostby »

My letter just came in the mail today. Soonerfan, I believe the recall is for '03 and '04 models and front windows only.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

Still waiting on one for Kari's car, hopefully they haven't forgot about hers... I think she wants to wait until they get reeeal good at doing these repairs so they don't tear anything up anyway. Her windows are fine for the moment so that's good...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
W2ZXN

Post by W2ZXN »

Got mine yesterday (Saturday) morning. What a pain in the you-know-what.
Raivis

Post by Raivis »

day and noticed that any of you guys that paid for it need to file a claim and get your money back also it says that even if you have had it fixed befor you need to have it done again
You got owned by a wagon..... Life is a sexually transmitted disease!!! check me out at http://www.myspace.com/raiviskysdad
VivaVibe

Post by VivaVibe »

Got the notice two days ago. I've never had an issue with the windows, so I'm reluctant to have them mess with it. I bought it used, so it may have already been fixed. What to do... hmmm?
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
Blueridge9

Re: Window Recall (VivaVibe)

Post by Blueridge9 »

I got my recall letter a few days ago! The return address says:Pontiac PO Box 900998Milwaukee, WI 53209-9989. It is a white standard size window envelope with a red stamp saying "safety recall notice". So tell your family or house mates to watch for that.I had already called the Dealer before I got the letter and it took them a few days to get the parts so now I need to make an appt. to get it done. It didn't matter that I bought the car elsewhere.It's recall # 07273. For more info contact Pontiac customer service 1-800-620-7668.It also includes a letter that says "If you paid to have this condition corrected prior to this notification, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement" and includes a claim form but you must provide a receipt with it. Contact 1-800-620-7668UPDATE: I got an appt. today/May 27th and it took about an hour and they also did a FREE 27 point inspection and a car wash. While there I got in a 2009 Vibe and looked it over - sweet.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ZubenElGenubi

Re: Window Recall (Blueridge9)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Glad to see this issue finally being addressed. I've had a problem with my driver's side window for about six months, but frankly have been too lazy to try and fix it myself.I got my recall notice today and will set up an appointment tomorrow.
Toasted7

Re: Window Recall (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by Toasted7 »

Still no love for us 05+ owners that are having the same problem? Just hope my window doesn't explode.
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
WD0AFQ

Post by WD0AFQ »

Got my notice Monday. Went in today. Parts are on order. Expected 10 day wait.Dan
Dan GreggDexter, Mo.03 GThttp://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
ToolGuy

Re: (WD0AFQ)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by WD0AFQ »Got my notice Monday. Went in today. Parts are on order. Expected 10 day wait.DanGot my notice on Sat. Car going in next Monday, my dealer has plenty of bolts so no wait at my dealer. Not sure if it is because I am in Mich or not for the parts.
WagonMafia

Re: (ToolGuy)

Post by WagonMafia »

I went to the stealership yesterday and there telling me I might have wait up to a month for the parts to come in. (removed)
Neouka

Post by Neouka »

I just got a notice today.. I'm in no hurry, but hopefully the dealer I decide to go to doesn't (removed) me around I actually tightened the bolts myself last year, but might as well take it in for the freebie anyway.
03 Abyss Base, not 5 .. 6spd!2012 Focus soon...
torque2k

Re:

Post by torque2k »

Funny story.Just bought my 2003 AWD in early February, and didn't really use the windows until warmer weather visited Michigan. I noticed the crunchy noises on the driver's side, but didn't think too much about it. A friend forwarded the recall info in an email the first day it hit. Two days later, I hit the auto-down button on the window, turn aside for an instant, and heard a deep clunk. I whipped my head around in time to see the front of the window take a dive, and as I instinctively grabbed at it to pull it back up, it shattered in a bazillion pieces in my hands. And of course, the wind just HAD to be blowing 15-20 knots straight into the driver's side window. Glass everywhere, down my shirt, up on the roof, under the seats on the passenger's side, in the kids' car seats (thank God they weren't in the car at the time!), in my hair... Not fun.Local Pontiac dealer was quickly contacted, and though they hadn't heard of the recall yet, the manager told me to drive it down that evening and pick up a loaner while they figured out what went wrong. Great service. They set me up in a Yukon, told me not to refill the tank, and I had it for a few days while they ordered parts.They ended up replacing the window regulators on both sides per GM's recommendation, and the glass on the driver's side, and of course any bolts as well. Cause per documentation: front bolt on run channel came out. Part #s: 88969903 Regulator, 88969777 F-WDO F/S/D (I assume that's the glass), 88969902 Regulator.Even though it was out of warranty, and the recall really hadn't gone into effect, this was "goodwilled" by GM as safety-related concern. This happened on 4/18, and I received my recall notice this week.For all the years I've stayed away from American cars, this is as good a reason as any to appreciate what pressure from foreign manufacturers has done to the Big Three. GM and their dealer network seem to understand customer satisfaction. Of course, at the end of the day, it's still a Toyota. Great forums, all. I'm excited to read some of these threads!
indyerf

Re: (WagonMafia)

Post by indyerf »

My window exploded roughly 5 weeks before I got the recall letter on 5/23/08. Exploded is a good description. Little bits of glass ended up on top of the car (it was in the driveway at the time) in the back seat, all over me and the front passenger, all over the driveway. The wife came home and wondered why I was vacuuming the driveway - it was the only way to get all the glass up! - Anyway, took it to dealer Thursday morning, they ordered part, had it ready Friday afternoon - would have had it Friday morning but the parts truck was delayed due to an accident on I70. They gave me a car in the meantime - all with no charge. I would think that since it is a recall they would cover a car for the time they have your Vibe.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Does anyone else think the timing on this recall is a bit suspicious? Just in time to check out the '09s.Do the Toyota Matrix or Corollas have the same window regulator parts/recall?Do you think all the discussions on this board help to get the recall?Fixed mine myself a couple years ago and posted a how-to on this site.In general I do not trust most Dealerships to perform quality repairs. So I tend to do them myself.I would guess that the techs will get more profecient at this repair the more they do it. It may be wise to let them practice for a month or so.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=24086
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
ArcsVibe

Re: Window Recall (JohnC)

Post by ArcsVibe »

Got my letter on Friday and going to the dealer this Wednesday. Was informed by the adviser that it was the first they heard of this recall lol...stay tuned!
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

dennisdrive

Post by dennisdrive »

got my recall notice a couple of days ago set up appointment today and got it done at the dealership.
2004 Salsa Base ATPower PackageSports Package Rear Mid gate & Upper Spoiler.
sloth

Re: (dennisdrive)

Post by sloth »

Got my notice a couple days ago as well...however I talked to my Dad who runs the parts department at my dealership several weeks ago. He ordered the parts and they still haven't come in.I have a feeling it's going to be quite a while before I get it done. I'm surprised that my windows haven't had the problem yet. I drive on a lot of dirt roads and roll my windows up and down quite a bit.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

my sister got the notice a week or two ago (maybe more) to get it in for the recall. I never once in 3 yrs had issues with the windows though...
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Got mine taken care of yesterday. Two other Vibes in as well as mine. I was home for an hour and the dealer called to say the car was done! Fastest dealer experience of my life!I do not notice any thing different and I did not have window issues to begin with but at least now I know it has the updated parts.
ArcsVibe

Re: (ToolGuy)

Post by ArcsVibe »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »Got mine taken care of yesterday. Fastest dealer experience of my life!Shh don't say that I took the day off lol!!!
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

statmanmi

Window glass slipped, but dealership said not because of recall.

Post by statmanmi »

Has anyone experienced my situation? I received the recall notice for my 2003 vibe just before Memorial Day. I'd been hearing clunking when I used the drivers window for a few months, but hadn't thought much of it. It all made sense after getting the letter.Then the morning after Memorial Day, the window glass slipped while I was running it up after using an ATM. Luckily, I caught it in time to avoid any breakage. I was able to finagle it back in place, ran the motor button upwards to wedge the glass closed, and left it alone.Called the local dealer that day, and got the same answer as others, that the parts were maybe one or two weeks off...so call back then. Service Advisor wouldn't take an appointment even when I noted that just that morning the glass had slipped out of the channel. "Just don't run it down more than 4 inches, because that's when the glass flexes and can shatter," was his advice. I knew enough to not use the window at all.Called again yesterday (6/4)...parts are in, so scheduled an appointment for this morning (6/5). Dropped off the Vibe and reminded the Service Advisor that the glass was out-of-place, so be careful.Okay, here's the interesting part: Received a call from the Service Advisor stating that my glass slipping wasn't because of the recall. Per him, my regulator bolts are all secure. Yes, they can proceed with replacing these free-of-charge.But the reason for my glass being loose is because of both "sash clips" breaking off, just from normal use. Very possible, I guess, since I bought the car with 55K on it, and it's at 120K now.So the dealer can do the repair work, but because the clips are part of the entire "glass assembly", the whole thing needs to be replaced. And of course at dealership prices. I mentioned that this struck me as a safety issue, but no goodwill was offered. I told him I'd call him right back after making a couple of calls to check his price.Sure enough, the local glass company with the "Little Red Trucks" quoted me a price that's over $100 less to replace the entire assembly. And they'll look it over to see if a repair without glass replacement could be done even more economically once they're into the door.So I've left a voicemail back to the Service Advisor to proceed with recall work only, and wedge the glass back in enough so I can proceed with my other repair arrangements.I liked one comment above, "stealership".Update: Service Advisor called back saying my recall work was complete. So total time between drop-off and completion was 2:15. So very speedy, especially considering the delay I induced with calling around for a better price.Bummer at the moment is that the glass isn't seated as well as I had it, so the 1/8 inch crack let in some of the drops of a driving rainstorm as I drove back to work from the stealership.
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

got my recall done in less then 45 mins...pretty sweet.my bolts were a lil loose he said.but I showed him how loose my glass is and he told me it was normal but would look to see if there was anything else loose.they looked and found nothing.the window moves up and down and left to right when pulled on.never had a window do this before.and if the window is half down and you shut the door ,it sounds like it will shatter.He told me its the way it was made.stupid toyota design.
ToolGuy

Re: Window glass slipped, but dealership said not because of recall. (statmanmi)

Post by ToolGuy »

Sounds like you are one of the minority but I can see how the timing of your window possibly breaking and the recall is not good. I suppose you have to believe the dealer since the window did fail on you but you are at their mercy. I think you did the right thing in the end though!
sloth

Re: (Vibe_dude)

Post by sloth »

Quote, originally posted by Vibe_dude »got my recall done in less then 45 mins...pretty sweet.my bolts were a lil loose he said.but I showed him how loose my glass is and he told me it was normal but would look to see if there was anything else loose.they looked and found nothing.the window moves up and down and left to right when pulled on.never had a window do this before.and if the window is half down and you shut the door ,it sounds like it will shatter.He told me its the way it was made.stupid toyota design.I windows are very solid when shutting the door. How's the seal between the door and window, sounds like it might be bad and letting the window rattle against the door itself.My bolts have been on order for quite some time, at least my windows are still in good shape.
jsimon63

Re: (sloth)

Post by jsimon63 »

I got my recall a week and a half ago. Looking for the repair bill to fix my "rattle" at a body shop. They should reimburse my expenses I guess I will see how that works out!
04 Salsa Monotone base, SUPERCHARGED! Auto trans , 6 disc 200w stereo, Alloys, K&N filter, Moons and Tunes, Silver Stars in both fog and head lights, And now Magnilow Cat back exhaust! 06 Lava Monotone Base Auto trans, 200w single disc XM, On-star Alloys, Moons and Tunes Loaded 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD Built trans #0 fuel plate and secret adjustments!
SinisterMind

Re: (jsimon63)

Post by SinisterMind »

Recall work on my Vibe is becoming a headache. My wife will need a loaner, but the dealer doesn't provide any for recall work. On Friday they had parts and today they are backordered. They need a VIN to order parts. I'm at work and don't have access to that. Another dealer has moron working who has no idea about a recall on Vibe. Sounds like a secretary than service rep. We had that clicking sound for over a year. I'm just hoping that nothing breaks. If I get pissed enough, I'll get rid of the POS.
owens2024

Recall and still a problem?

Post by owens2024 »

I have a 2004 Vibe with about 65k miles. I just noticed a click when rolling my driver's side window down (the click occurs at about 2/3 of the way down) in early May. It has seemed to get slightly louder. The glass is loose after the click but seems secure before it.Anyway, I had just noticed this when I got my recall notice. I took it in last week (Sewell Pontaic in Dallas, TX) and while I had to wait a couple of days for parts I recently got it back. The problem is that the clicking is still there (as described above) ... Is this clicking normal? Does it sound like the dealer didn't do it right? Should I be worried?
breezd

Post by breezd »

Just got the recall fixed today. Never experienced a problem with the windows, but figured I would get it done anyways. In and out of the stealership in less than an hour! And a free car wash too!
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
sloth

Re: (breezd)

Post by sloth »

Finally got mine fixed today. After waiting 15 days for the dealership to get the bolts in. Had an oil change done as well. With the change, washing and recall I still had the car back in about an hour and a half.
mm car forums

Re: (Vibe_dude)

Post by mm car forums »

It's interesting you reported a problem after having the recall done. I took my 2003 Vibe in today and the repair was done. The driver-side window has been clicking when opening for several months. Unfortunately, after I left the dealership I discovered the window still pops the same way. This was disapppointing since I expected the recall repair would fix this. Car has just under 100K miles. Going to call the dealer tomorrow to find out what's up.
Pigger

Re: (mm car forums)

Post by Pigger »

I've got a 2003 GT with power windows, but have not received a notice in the mail yet. Can I still have my dealership fix the problem without a notice or do I need to call Pontiac to get a notice mailed to me?
ToolGuy

Re: (Pigger)

Post by ToolGuy »

Quote, originally posted by Pigger »I've got a 2003 GT with power windows, but have not received a notice in the mail yet. Can I still have my dealership fix the problem without a notice or do I need to call Pontiac to get a notice mailed to me?Now that is is public and launched I am sure you can just take it in but I would call your dealer first and ask, especially to make sure they have the parts on hand. You do not need to call Pontiac...