Ventalation system is making a weird knocking noise.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Fredrick_NP

Ventalation system is making a weird knocking noise.

Post by Fredrick_NP »

When pulling in air from the outside, it makes a consistent knocking sound about once every second. I opened the glove box and there is this sponge / filter like thing in there, and that seems to be the source. You can feel it moving. It keeps retracting and snapping back (which is when it makes the knocking sound.)Does anyone know what that thing is or why it would be doing that?
MrDoopey

Re: Ventalation system is making a weird knocking noise. (Fredrick_NP)

Post by MrDoopey »

Since I park under a tree regularly, the "cabin filter" (as its called) often gets things stuck in there. Have pulled it out? it pops in and out fairly easily. sometimes it takes a bit of "jimmying" but it should come out. I have had twigs, pine needles, ... all sorts of stuff in there. Although, nothing large enough to make any noise. You might have a really big twig in there.
MrDoopey 2003 base model, two-tone abyss, automatic, with power package, 6 speaker package
Fredrick_NP

Re: Ventalation system is making a weird knocking noise. (MrDoopey)

Post by Fredrick_NP »

Well it seems very mechanical. It's weird.Ill clean it out though. Do you have to take the glove box door off? How do you do that?
kevera

Post by kevera »

Here ya go,Just remove the phillips screw on the right side shock type thing(You will have to open the passenger side door).Pull out the glove box door and your into that picture.Hope this helps.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=982
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
Fredrick_NP

Post by Fredrick_NP »

Ok, it wasn't the filter. That sponge looking thing above the filter is whats ticking. It moves.... but only when the air is set to come from outside.I tried making a video but there isnt enough light, and my camera doesnt have a lamp.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Maybe it's loose from on the cowl area.Lift the hood,see that big black trim just under the windshield,see if that's loose.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Fredrick_NP

Re: Ventalation system is making a weird knocking noise. (joatmon)

Post by Fredrick_NP »

Thanks. They do sound like similar problems.This sucks.
kevera

Post by kevera »

I totally forgot about that one,it's been a while since that has happened.I would say that's your problem.Joatmon to the rescue.