The Battery Issue

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
joatmon

Re: (MiVibe-ToolGuy)

Post by joatmon »

anyway to get a softcopy? (email instead of fax?)
etoop

Post by etoop »

I just IM MiVibe - Toolguy to fax me. I'll post as soon as I get it.
~Eric2004 Base SalsaAutomaticTwo TonePower PackageM & T Package
etoop

Re: (etoop)

Post by etoop »

Thanks MiVibe-ToolGuy,Got the Fax today. Here is the copy. It isn't a TSB but a VME? But looks good enough for me.

Attached files Vibe.pdf (36.9 KB) 
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: (etoop)

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by etoop »Thanks MiVibe-ToolGuy,Got the Fax today. Here is the copy. Thanks to both of you for this doc!Quote, originally posted by etoop »It isn't a TSB but a VME? But looks good enough for me.A VME is essentially a Voice Message (Voicemail) that is sent to dealers to clarify and notify them of problems, etc. The battery issue was essentially sent out this way at first when the problem was addressed by GM. Dealers 'should' have access to these but as you can read in previous posts in this thread, some don't understand or use the 'voicemail' system.This copy will definitely help!
VibeSalsa

Re: The Battery Issue

Post by VibeSalsa »

Thanks MiVibe-ToolGuy and etoop!With your document, some members info and the fact that the 2005 Vibe have a higher CCA battery, I got the replacement of mine too.I wrote a letter at the beginning of the week and the service manager of my dealership called me a few minutes ago. He ordered my new battery and I will go next week to have the piece of crap (310 CCA)replaced!YES!!! FINALLY!!! I will send you more info after this visit to my dealer!
2003 Base Vibe, Salsa, 5-speed, Power PackageLow pitch hornPic of my Vibe
VibeSalsa

Re: The Battery Issue

Post by VibeSalsa »

Replacement done this afternoon after a long process with the dealer...I'm very happy! Just waiting a temperature drop to test this new battery!
Raven

Re: The Battery Issue (VibeSalsa)

Post by Raven »

[QUOTE=! Just waiting a temperature drop to test this new battery! [/QUOTE] You can wait my friend, be patient, it will come soon enough here in the wilds of Quebec!
VibeSalsa

Re: The Battery Issue (Sunny)

Post by VibeSalsa »

Quote, originally posted by Sunny » You can wait my friend, be patient, it will come soon enough here in the wilds of Quebec!I know, I know...But this new battery have more chance to be suitable for our climate. It is . See the picture attached:

Attached files
SCTM

Post by SCTM »

Back from my dealer.Even with all my documents from other customers (from genvibe) and many arguments, they did not changed my battery. They performed a test on and considered this 310CCA as "normal". I heard again this: "...it's the first time we"ve seen this, nobody else complained yet"Also got the same answer with the "cladding issue" !!!Next step, writing a letter to GM, cross fingers and hope again...Why some of us have to fight more than the others to get this satisfied.
SCTM QUÉBEC Base 5spd Satellite, 20-35%back-tint, 3M film, HiddenHitch, Motegi Racing MR8, Orbit Remote Starter/5Doors, Winter GoodYear UltraGrip ice... and Lawnmower 310CCA battery !
AKLGT

Re: The Battery Issue (SCTM)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by SCTM »Back from my dealer.Even with all my documents from other customers (from genvibe) and many arguments, they did not changed my battery. They performed a test on and considered this 310CCA as "normal". I heard again this: "...it's the first time we"ve seen this, nobody else complained yet" same here. got that all last winter.... "you're the only person w/ a vibe that's complaining." but i find it hard to believe. they say, "well, you have a block heater so just plug it in." the way i see it, is i shouldn't have to have a block heater in anchorage. never had to plug in any of my other cars to start, so why should i have to now? i need my battery to leak like phil's so they'll replace it! lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: The Battery Issue (trdvibe)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

I had to fight hard with my dealer to have mine replaced.I also called the GM roadside assistance 3 times within 1 month for boosting.So with this they finally agreed to chage my battery.
VibeSalsa

Re: The Battery Issue (SCTM)

Post by VibeSalsa »

Oh no!SCTM, please feel free to use what I sent you to push GM doing the same thing as me. But it's not very easy. It tooks me 2 winters...Don't give up!Bonne chance!
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i want my battery!!! today, installing my body graphics on the vibe in a HEATED garage, had the radio on, no big deal as usual. was snowing today so the temps were a little lower than they have been. all the sudden the radio started to crackle and went silent. i thought, oh must be a fuse. then the power goes out in the garage. i think i'll put the headlights on so i can see. go to turn them on and they were really really dim. thought it was just my fogs... but no. then they flicker and go off. so i try to start the car and nothing happens! it's deader than a doorknob!so i call roadside assistance and tell them my car's dead... and where the hell's my battery? last year it died on thanksgivng day in my driveway (outside mind you). and this time it's only 38F outside so not even super cold for winter, in a heated garage mind you and the battery is dead! guy came out to fix it and said, "wow that's one really tiny battery!" as he pointed out "that's really really dead!"then i call pontiac customer service and they are closed! what great service! grrr! i'm going to call on monday and demand i get my battery!!! and whenever it dies, i'll call them so they have to keep coming out
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

i go in on saturday to have the battery checked out and an oil change. i sure hope they do somethign about this battery! no way it should die in a heated garage!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
ewakko

Post by ewakko »

I was wondering what exactly the symptoms of the Battery issue is.My vibe is barely two months old and a couple times last week it wouldn't start. It would make the noise its suppose to before it starts, but never actually start (turnover). I've been stranded 5 times. The circumstances are:I was dropping off my sister at school. After driving for a little more than an hour we stopped and got some fast food, and when I got back to the car it wouldn't start. Right before I was going to call Roadside Assistance it started.Twice I've gotten stuck at work, the first time after getting a jump I was able to start it, the second time that didn't work. I took it to the dealership and they said the replaced the battery, but I got stuck at work again and had it towed to another dealership.They said they were able to start it with no problems. I'm two more service trips away from declaring it a lemon.It's starting to get cooler here, but not close to freezing temperatures.
Raven

Re: The Battery Issue (ewakko)

Post by Raven »

That does not sound like a battery problem but more likely a charging or short problem. The "Battery Issue" is a problem with the 310 CCA battery that was put in pre 2005 Vibes. When it is very cold the engine cranks very slowly or not at all. The replacement is a 560 CCA I believe.
Mavrik

Re: The Battery Issue (Sunny)

Post by Mavrik »

Yup, the issue is the stock battery is not strong enough. Technicly and this is everyone's problem is that the battery works as designed perfectly... Of course its not strong enough in cold weather but as long as there isn't an actual fault in the battery, good luck getting it replaced.Now mine was replaced at the MI meet under warranty because it was leaking. They gave me the big 560cca battery. I was hoping for a CSI report from them so I could commend them... never got one.Now for your vehicle not starting every now and then and having to get it towed in by roadside. Any more info? like did it crank and not fire? was there security lights on? Did there seem to be a lose of electrical power before hand? It could be an ignition problem if its not cranking and no power yet it will start up again later? Cause a dead battery is a dead battery.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ewakko

Post by ewakko »

Thanks for the replies. I have an 04 Vibe. It cranks but doesn't fire. The radio was on when I turned the car on, but then I shut it off when it doesn't start hoping that would help (it doesn't). I'm picking up my car tomorrow, and I'll just have to wait until the mofo strands me at work again. I'll start a new thread because it doesn't sound like the battery problem, and I don't want to get off topic.thanks
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I've noticed that the Vibe is turning over a bit sluggishly after it has been sitting for a while... Any chance of getting the battery replaced if you're out of factory warranty? I still have the GM extended warranty covering the car. Probably not is my guess.. I'd like a bigger battery than they would give me anyway, so I probably won't even bother with getting them to replace it. lolEDIT: Oh yeah, I need to get a battery before it starts to get too cold... She just barely turned over the other morning after the temp dropped into the 40's...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Raven

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by Raven »

If you plan a trip to the dealer for a battery definitely bring a copy of the VME. The service rep was very surprised to read it. The dealership had no knowledge of it and this document was instrumental in having my NEW 560CCA BATTERY installed. WOOHOO!
VibeSalsa

Re: (Sunny)

Post by VibeSalsa »

Congrats! Another satisfied consumer with very useful information...
SCTM

Re: (Sunny)

Post by SCTM »

How lucky you are SunnyHad a copy of this VME and few invoice from other members shown to my dealer and DSM but they still say NO !
SCTM QUÉBEC Base 5spd Satellite, 20-35%back-tint, 3M film, HiddenHitch, Motegi Racing MR8, Orbit Remote Starter/5Doors, Winter GoodYear UltraGrip ice... and Lawnmower 310CCA battery !
etoop

Re: (SCTM)

Post by etoop »

Got the same from my dealer.... They won't change the battery until I have issues with it!!! Grrrrr Nothing like saying "we won't help you until you are stranded"
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I wonder what the odds would be if i could get them to give me cash value for replacement battery and then i could apply that to the cost of a RED TOP Optima
ragingfish

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »I wonder what the odds would be if i could get them to give me cash value for replacement battery and then i could apply that to the cost of a RED TOP OptimaI'd say nonexistent.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
tetazoo

Post by tetazoo »

I was able to get my cladding and my stronger battery by responding to a service follow-up letter the dealer had sent to me. I replied in an email that unknowingly went to the dealership owner! This is an excerpt of what I wrote:" The battery issue is just another problem waiting to happen. As I've had this problem last winter during the one week cold spell, I would like to get this 310CCA battery replaced with a stronger battery that is suggested by the Voice Message alert. This is a simple measure to prevent this problem from re-occuring. However, this request was denied and I'm making a point that I'm not happy. ...For me to be Completely Satisfied 80-100% for the service, the molding must be fixed properly and the battery must be replaced with a stronger battery."Within a week, I was notified by the DSM to bring it back in. Battery was ordered and put in today! Molding also looks great. It did take about three months - started in August, but if you're patient its worth it!
SCTM

Re: (tetazoo)

Post by SCTM »

Another satisfied (and canadian!) customer. Hope my turn will come soon !!! My DSM said "NO" twice and now trying with the help of our "privileged contact" Jeff Strausser in USA.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

yesterday morning i was late to work because the battery didn't start. i plugged it into a charger for 20 mins to let it warm up enough it'd turn over. this morning, it started but took about 5 mins to warm up enough! i CAN'T AFFORD to get fired from my new position, so tomorrow i will be biting the bullet and purchasing a red top optima battery! i can't tell you how extremely DISPLEASED i am with GM and thus when it does come time to replace my vibe w/ an AWD vehicle, it will most likely NOT be a GM. I called the 800# once again today to let them know how unhappy i am with this crappy (removed) battery situation! the dealership here told me nothing is wrong with the battery which is true. the problem is it isn't STRONG enough to start the engine, not that the battery doesn't hold it's rated "power".
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
SCTM

Re: (trdvibe)

Post by SCTM »

I know what you mean trdvibe, I'm working for CoastGuard and sometime I have to go for replacement within the next hour. I only hope that my Vibe will start anytime on cold winter times coming. GM Canada is not listening the same way everywhere. Some got their car corrected and some not - at the dealer or DSM discretion. Non-sense to me and no respect. As you said: they do not deserve our next purchase and I'll go somewhere else next time, may be. It's not our last car, we will get many others in near future but probably not a GM.
wagon lover

Post by wagon lover »

My wife had only owned her Vibe for a week or two when we went away for a few days, came back, and the car wouldn't start until I charged the battery. I thought maybe we had left a door open or something, then I read that after 20 minutes, any interior lights etc. will shut down to save the battery, so it was nothing we did. I'm glad the dealer replaced the battery, or I would have been furious. But it didn't seem to 'hold it's charge'. Now, I've been waiting 7 weeks for a response to a problem with my new Dodge truck, getting the runaround, looks like they've all got problems. But this battery issue is a known problem; they should fix it without asking twice!
Raven

Re: (wagon lover)

Post by Raven »

I wouldn't buy a different make of car just because of an $80.00 battery. But hey, I already got mine replaced for free, so I'm jaded.
wagon lover

Post by wagon lover »

To be fair, though, it's not about the battery; it's about paying 15 thousand or so for a car that is unreliable as sold (cold starting, anyway), and the callous attitude towards their customers by GM!
AKLGT

Re: (wagon lover)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by wagon lover »To be fair, though, it's not about the battery; it's about paying 15 thousand or so for a car that is unreliable as sold (cold starting, anyway), and the callous attitude towards their customers by GM!that is exactly the point! and no, changing make of car because of a battery issue isn't WHY i'd be going elsewhere, just adds to to it. besides, i replaced that POS crap with something MUCH MUCH better!Optima Red Top Battery, 720 CCAand yes, i know the engine bay is dirty! it's winter, what do you expect?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
SCTM

Post by SCTM »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »and yes, i know the engine bay is dirty! it's winter, what do you expect? ..expect: Rustproofing, unless you don't want to keep your car long time, or there's no salt spreaded over roads in your area! On this part (Quebec) of the country there's mountains of salt used during winter and... this season beginning right now and my car been rustproofed once more this year. (I do it myself with compressor+spraygun and proper stuff - Little dirty but it's almond's smell )
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

already have undercoating on the car. and they use sand, not salt here. salt is used on people's own driveway or at various businesses. but the roads are sanded because it does less damage to the roads themselves. too bad i get little rocks and things flying thru the air and hitting my front end! but last night i came out from my friends house after about 6 hrs, it's cold right now, 4F. went to turn the car on and it hesitated a little before starting. hmm.... so i know they tested the alternator, but that makes me a little worried since it didn't just start right up.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
rebbierae

Post by rebbierae »

Wow, I sure am lucky I went through a small-town dealer! I've been reading about the battery issue here in the forum and got a little worried--I just got my Vibe a few weeks ago (slightly used) and knew nothing about the small battery. I live in South Dakota and it gets cold here, so I asked my Dad to check with the dealer back home (where I purchased the vehicle) to see if he had heard of any battery issues. Dad told me that the dealer HAS heard of such problems, but since we live in the midwest and it gets cold here in the winter, he orders all his cars with the cold weather package which includes a different battery. Thanks for the forum for bringing this to my attention though--I would have never known otherwise. I love this site!
ColonelPanic

Re: (rebbierae)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm definitely a fan of the small town dealerships! I know the one I go to takes pretty good care of me. Wish I would have mentioned the battery issue to them before the factory warranty ran out. Hasn't been a problem up until now. And in all honesty, it still isn't that big of a problem - still turns over, albeit sluggishly. But I'm sure that will change this winter.Now, I just have to figure out what kind of battery I want to throw in the Vibe.... Gotta figure something out soon before I find myself in trouble.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
POLO

Re: (VibeSalsa)

Post by POLO »

wish me luck guy"s i will go to oil change,i will try to convince to change the battery,i will show all documentation,...to help my cause. cherm"s,fingure cross.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

good luck, paul!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
SCTM

Re: (POLO)

Post by SCTM »

Let us know if the agreed to change your battery, then may be I'll go visiting Montréal Dealer next time I go there. (What about your 2 tone cladding?)
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Tell us which dealership you tried it at! I have an oil change lined up in two weeks at Boisvert Pontiac...maybe I shall try the same for the battery
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

Jahntassa

Post by Jahntassa »

As of tonight, I too have the battery problem! Went to remote start the car, and it proceded in clicking. Checked the voltage meter, it was down from the usual resting 11.9 to a mere 8.3!Obviously time to invest in that red-top.Outside conditions: Clear. Temp 37 F (car reads 41 F)It was about 62 during the day, and about 40 last night, but I had no problem starting it other than that... There wasn't enough power to run the Nav system..
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
AKLGT

Re: (silverawd26)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by silverawd26 »With your new battery Hope, you should have no problems.it still hesitates a little, but then starts right up! just like it should have in the first place!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

figured it'd be good to get the red top since i have my amps and sub, speakers, seat heater (not much power) and whatever else little power sucking gadgets in the car! lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
POLO

Post by POLO »

I think the luck didn't enough with this ignorant people.When i went to a oil change,i talk about the battery problem,the guy watch me like i'm talking about ufo,he was all surprised,he say to me you thing showing som paper i will change the battery like this,gm will not pay to us to change,so if your problem is in gold weather,bring a days of gold weather we will see how the car start,if we see a problem,then we will see how we can solve the problem.Until then i can't help.
ArcsVibe

Re: (POLO)

Post by ArcsVibe »

Quote, originally posted by POLO »Until then i can't help. Seems to be the stance of GM when it comes to problems?
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

SCTM

Post by SCTM »

Quote, originally posted by trdvibe »..., seat heater... Was there any seat heater option available? Or aftermarket installation. May be heated seatcover with 12v plug?... Which one do you have and how much... I should have a pair on mine, it's getting colded every day now. May be a Xmax gift
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

lol. no heated seat options in our vibes. perhaps the 05 w/ leather may, but not ours. i'm sure you can ask your local custom car shop or car electronics (alarms, dvd systems, etc) if they can install heated seat pads in yours. i got the kit for the drivers side only but should have installed one for the passenger side while i was at it. this was with my katzkins leather interior kit so i had the seats taken apart anyways. here, i can get it done for $150 a seat.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Dan

Post by Dan »

Quote, originally posted by VibeSalsa »Oh no!SCTM, please feel free to use what I sent you to push GM doing the same thing as me. But it's not very easy. It tooks me 2 winters...Don't give up!Bonne chance!Hi VibeSalsa, I've call my dealership, and like SCTM, they didn't want to replace my battery !! I really don't understand why... it's a really cold temperature down here. Could you help me and send me the stuff that you send to SCTM ???Thanks !
Base 5 speed Satellite Orbit Remote Starter/5Doors
VibeSalsa

Re: The Battery Issue (Dan)

Post by VibeSalsa »

Quote, originally posted by Dan »Hi VibeSalsa, I've call my dealership, and like SCTM, they didn't want to replace my battery !! I really don't understand why... it's a really cold temperature down here. Could you help me and send me the stuff that you send to SCTM ???Thanks !No problem Dan! Check your e-mail... It's a pleasure to help a friend!