HVAC actuactor replaced, didn't fix problem

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
meem

HVAC actuactor replaced, didn't fix problem

Post by meem »

Pontiac had a TSB on this problem with recommendation to replace HVAC door actuator that lets outside air into the car. I did this but the noise persists. Mechanic thinks the problem is in the switch that determines recirculated air or fresh air. Has anyone else verified this?
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

whats the problem your having? is it a rattling in the dash?
joatmon

Re: (northvibe)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »whats the problem your having? is it a rattling in the dash?http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=23946
binary

Re: HVAC actuactor replaced, didn't fix problem (meem)

Post by binary »

Quote, originally posted by meem »Pontiac had a TSB on this problem with recommendation to replace HVAC door actuator that lets outside air into the car. I did this but the noise persists. Mechanic thinks the problem is in the switch that determines recirculated air or fresh air. Has anyone else verified this?Well... have Mr. mechanic disconnect the switch and take it for a drive.I could do it in about 20 seconds + drive time.
sunny3388

Post by sunny3388 »

Same problem with my 04 Vibe, I don't have a way to fix it. Its out of warranty 43K miles , I hope to find a way to fix it.Do you need to remove the HVAC housing to change that HVAC door actuator ?Whenever the climate control is set to receive outside air, there is a steady tapping noise coming from the passenger airbag area. There is no tapping noise when inside air is recirculated. Outside air will be pretty important this winter, would like to get this fixed now. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Guy in PHX

Re: HVAC actuactor replaced, didn't fix problem (sunny3388)

Post by Guy in PHX »

Sounds like the same problem I had. It was fixed under warranty. This is how my invoice reads:"Cause-D1810 Actuator and/or motor1 #88970277Replaced air inlet door actuator asm, internal failure gears stripped."I don't know if "actuator" and "actuator asm" refer to the same part or a larger assembly, but it fixed my problem.Good luck with it.
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
meem

Re: HVAC actuactor replaced, didn't fix problem (sunny3388)

Post by meem »

I've tried two actuators and the problem is the actuator continues to actuate (closes outside air flow) even when the switch is set for outside air. My mechanic said this will burn out the actuator again so we left it disconnected. The problem seems to be in the switch rather than the actuator but I have not seen any reference to this on the forum.
tinder

Post by tinder »

Did you ever get the tapping sound fixed? My '04 developed the same problem about 2 months ago. I ordered the part and am trying to figure out how to replace the unit. However, it appears to a very involved process to gain access to the mounting screws - possibly requiring the removal to the passenger air bag?Do you or anybody have any idea on how to replace the part?Thanks.
tothebone

Re: HVAC actuactor replaced, didn't fix problem (tinder)

Post by tothebone »

I fixed it. Go here for information: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=29575
You can't just force a "Yeah, Dude."Satellite 2-tone with some other junk....