Headlights won't turn off when car turns off?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
RobTheEnchanter

Headlights won't turn off when car turns off?

Post by RobTheEnchanter »

Ok I'm having a problem with my headlights here. I turn the car off, and when I do, the headlights stay on, and so do some of the interior lights (around the A/C dials). If I leave the key in with the car off, it beeps, and if I take the key out, it just makes a constant tone. I had to take one of the battery cables off so my battery wouldn't go dead overnight. Any ideas here? Is this the same problem people were having with their headlights turning on randomly during the night?My Vibe is a 2003 base with 37,000 miles.Thanks Rob
millster

Re: Headlights won't turn off when car turns off? (RobTheEnchanter)

Post by millster »

You know, I just have to ask this... Is the headlight switch set to off?If so, sounds like it's time for a service call. Something must be wrong with the switch.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
RobTheEnchanter

Re: Headlights won't turn off when car turns off? (millster)

Post by RobTheEnchanter »

Oh man, do I feel stupid. I had no idea there even was a headlight switch, since they come on automatically (DRL). I am glad though that I don't have to give up my car to the dealer for service
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

This sounds a bit different than the issue people were having with the headlights turning themselves on... In those cases, I believe it was just the high beams, no other lights came on. And I believe it really only happened when it was cold... The DRL module was to blame for that issue.If the switch is off and all of the lights are still on, I would vote for a bad headlight switch. It could be the DRL module also...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I'm with millster; if it isn't the headlight switch that's on, then something probably isn't right with the ignition switch.Normally when the key is in, and if the door is open, it will beep about twice a second constantly. If you turn the key to the ACC (accessory) position, it will beep five times and stop.The headlamps will often remain on after the engine has stopped if the key remains in the ACC position. Turning the key off and then back to ACC should turn off the headlights.
millster

Post by millster »

Quote, originally posted by RobTheEnchanter »Oh man, do I feel stupid. I had no idea there even was a headlight switch, since they come on automatically (DRL). I am glad though that I don't have to give up my car to the dealer for service Hey, no problem. That's why I asked if it was on. I found myself forgetting it was there on the Vibe too. You get kind of spoiled by the auto headlights.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Oh, gotcha. No need to feel stupid. In some cases, certain cars will allow you to keep the headlight switch on all the time, but the lights are switched with the ignition. Anything is possible, so it never hurts to ask...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Quote, originally posted by RobTheEnchanter »Oh man, do I feel stupid. I had no idea there even was a headlight switch, since they come on automatically (DRL). I am glad though that I don't have to give up my car to the dealer for service Don't feel bad; it's one reason some of us have disabled the DRLs. That way you have control of the headlights.Good call, millster. You nailed it.
BlueCrush

Re: Headlights won't turn off when car turns off? (millster)

Post by BlueCrush »

I almost asked that same question. I agree, we do get spoiled with the auto headlights. I had turnd mine on manually once a couple months ago and I turned off the car and had the constant tone. I'm like, ok, what's wrong with the car? Yeah, I did the same thing as you...
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
DavidPIL

Re: Headlights won't turn off when car turns off? (BlueCrush)

Post by DavidPIL »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I almost asked that same question. I agree, we do get spoiled with the auto headlights. I had turnd mine on manually once a couple months ago and I turned off the car and had the constant tone. I'm like, ok, what's wrong with the car? Yeah, I did the same thing as you...hehe.. yeah, me too
Steve41337

Re: Headlights won't turn off when car turns off?

Post by Steve41337 »

This community is such a great resource. Just wanted to post another big thank you.

Whoever said we get lazy regarding our headlight switch is correct. I recently had the problem described in this thread. There was one big difference that had me worrying it would be an expensive fix. Fortunately I found the simple fix here.

My headlights would remain on after turning-off engine and removing key. BUT when my headlights remained on they were very dim! Turning the headlight switch to off got my Vibe back to normal.

I assume the headlight remaining on very dim is not normal? Even if it isn't normal I don't plan on fixing anything since things are working now as before. But if anyone can offer an explanation why the headlights remain on dim (barely noticeable other than the amber parking light) instead of normal intensity I would be interested to know.
2006 Two-Tone Frosty AWD with Sunroof
Purchased June 2016 in Loxley AL
Steve41337 Tucson Arizona :D
joatmon

Re: Headlights won't turn off when car turns off?

Post by joatmon »

Steve41337 wrote: But if anyone can offer an explanation why the headlights remain on dim (barely noticeable other than the amber parking light) instead of normal intensity I would be interested to know.
The only thing I can think of is that maybe the headlight control was set to the first position of running lights, and it only seemed like the headlights were on very dim.