Anyone have rear suspension squeaks?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
P POPPR

Anyone have rear suspension squeaks?

Post by P POPPR »

We have a squeak that we hear when the driver gets out of the car on a flat surface. Sounds like it's coming from the rear suspension. Kind of a rubber squeak. We had it at the dealer and naturally it didn't squeak.
2004 Abyss MonotoneMoon & Tunes17" Aluminum Wheels/TiresAnti-Lock BrakesPower GroupAutomatic15% Tint, Rear WindowsHidden Hitch
nismo

Re: Anyone have rear suspension squeaks? (P POPPR)

Post by nismo »

Yeah man. It started squeaking this July when I took my car on a trip to the east coast.Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
P POPPR

Re: Anyone have rear suspension squeaks? (TRD4reel)

Post by P POPPR »

Do you know what causes the squeak?
2004 Abyss MonotoneMoon & Tunes17" Aluminum Wheels/TiresAnti-Lock BrakesPower GroupAutomatic15% Tint, Rear WindowsHidden Hitch
nismo

Post by nismo »

Long period of traveling on the car. How much do you drive it when you do? At least, this is my problem.Inder
2008 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo - Fun stuff under there somewhere 1998 Nissan Sentra - Sold2004 Pontiac Vibe - 107k and SoldCosmo CAI
P POPPR

Post by P POPPR »

30 minutes
nismo

Post by nismo »

Yeah, that'll prolly do it. That happens to me sometimes.Inder
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Could be a bushing somewhere causing the squeak... Haven't had it happen on the Vibe myself, but it did happen on the last car (had 2 sets of rear sway bar bushings installed on that thing...) Not sure, may be something to look into.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
blake31

Post by blake31 »

yes, i hear this on mine all the time
2004 Vibe Base auto, Shadow MonotonePower, Moon & Tunes, XBOX & 7" LCD monitorTRD cold air intake18" primax 922 mesh tuner rims w/Yokohama YK520 tires 225/40/1816" steel wheels w/Hankook I-Pike W409 205/55/16 winter tires20% tint rear, 35% tint frontClearshield deluxe paint protection, Aquapel, Hella horns
5lbsofswisscheese

Post by 5lbsofswisscheese »

My first Vibe did that after a while. I never did manage to isolate the source of the sound. I'll try a little harder if it happens to this one.
2004 Fusion Vibe GTMoon & Tunes, 6-CD changer, 17" Wheels, Power Package35% tint17"x7" Enkei 5+ wheels, 215/50/R17 Fuzion Zri tires(Goodbye to the old '03 Neptune GT! I'll always have the radio to remember it by.)
P POPPR

Post by P POPPR »

As an update, I had the car at the dealer today for the squeak. I''ll post again with a report if this fixes the problem, but here's what they did."Exhaust squeaking at pivot points. Removed exhaust-lubed front donut-disassembled rear flex joint and lubed all hanger points"
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That sounds like a good possibility- do keep us posted!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
P POPPR

Re: Anyone have rear suspension squeaks? (ColonelPanic)

Post by P POPPR »

Still got the squeak. Maybe the third time is the charm.
nismo

Post by nismo »

Well, mine are more like a creak actually. Not a sweak. But now, whenever I take left turns I hear this ping sound coming from the back right strut. I've narrowed it down to the suspension. This also happens on rough terrain. Rough terrain meaning Detroit roads.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

A ping is likely a rock kicking up and hitting your exhaust...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
nismo

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by nismo »

Naw man, it happens all the time. I'm just waitin for it one day when I hear ping crush! My back right strut just falls. Inder
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by P POPPR »We have a squeak that we hear when the driver gets out of the car on a flat surface. Sounds like it's coming from the rear suspension. Kind of a rubber squeak. We had it at the dealer and naturally it didn't squeak.I'm getting a squeak as well. I went to a dealer and was told that it was caused by the parking brake. As soon as I disengaged it, the squeaking stopped.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
nismo

Re: Anyone have rear suspension squeaks? (Herb)

Post by nismo »

So you have no e-brake? That's not good man.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by TRD4reel »So you have no e-brake? That's not good man.I got e-brake, but when it's applied it squeaks.The report states:"Checked for sqeak from rear as described, appears only to when emerg brake is applied. Probably normal due to sight shoe movement reaction against backing plate."Dealer told me that it's normal and it's not something that needs to be worked on.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
P POPPR

Re: Anyone have rear suspension squeaks? (Herb)

Post by P POPPR »

Ours does it without the emergency brake applied. We will try using the brake in our garage. Might have the opposite effect on ours.
Lecanard

Post by Lecanard »

It’s a worn shock mount. I have Chevy cavalier and they go all the time you could almost change them with the air filter.

Attached files
P POPPR

Re: Anyone have rear suspension squeaks? (Lecanard)

Post by P POPPR »

I think they suspected the shock mount the first time we took it to them. They "lubricated" the area and it didn't change the sound.
MaxxVibe

Re: Anyone have rear suspension squeaks?

Post by MaxxVibe »

I have had this same squeak for some time now on my rear passengers side, it now is on my rear drivers side as of a couple days ago. I dont know what its coming from either. It certainly acts and sounds as suspension related, as i can hear it when im driving the car at low mph and notice it also when im entering/exiting the car and the suspension is under load. I have new shocks on the rear and am suspect to the pivot point of the rear axle assembly. Anybody ever had that checked out? Anybody as of the last time this subject was covered, find out what the culprit is? Its a very annoying noise and drives me crazy because i dont like my cars making noises that shouldnt be there.
2009 Vibe GT/Factory Bermuda Bay Blue/5 speed shiftable automatic/ two tone leather combo interior/18x7 factory polished wheels/rear spoiler/ Monsoon Premium sound system/ Grafxwerks badging/20% tint all around
g0ldrush1958

Re: Anyone have rear suspension squeaks?

Post by g0ldrush1958 »

Rear Sway bar is common problem, unbolt and remove It. then clean (bolts an sway bar orifice with brass wire brush) apply lithium white grease on both parts, reassemble, torque to 80ft/lbs. You also can check your rear shock eye bushing!!!

sway bar bolts are hard to remove, make sure to use a two good 1/2 inch socket bar with a 19mm socket and an a tube pipe,

Good Luck!