2005 vibe awd problems with noise

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
nightmistwalker

2005 vibe awd problems with noise

Post by nightmistwalker »

as stated i have a 2005 vibe awd with 137,000 miles on it and lately every once in a while when i start the car i get a weird almost sounds like lifter noise and then quits down,,sometimes when it is a cold start other times when it is at full temp. it idles sort of rough at idle while in gear enough to feel it in the steering wheel ,it has new filter and cleaned the intake sensor still does it plugs only have 30,000 on them now, it has never towed anything and just drove fairly easy,,it almost makes me think it sounds like a timing chain rattle but i know thats probably not it as that would stay noisey,,is there a sensor or something i dont know about that goes bad on these things?.. there is no engine light and has always been a good car well until now,,it is my only driver so it needs tio run right,,thanks
ehoff121

Re: 2005 vibe awd problems with noise

Post by ehoff121 »

I recently changed the intake manifold gasket and the throttle body gasket on my 2005 AWD. Gave both a thorough cleaning while they were off the engine block and that helped a lot with rough idle and cold starts.

What are the RPM's when it idles rough? (read from the bottom edge of the tach needle)

Assuming the new filter you mention is the air filter. How is the oil level?

Is the noise you're hearing a loud ticking sound or a brief high-pitched metallic rattle?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

There is a vacuum switch on the drivers side of the engine that makes a loud ticking noise, completely normal. Is that the area where you are hearing the noise?

*edit*
Just noticed you mentioned that it vibrates the steering wheel. The vacuum line would not do that.
Could be the serpentine belt tensioner. While the noise is happening, watch for movement in the tensioner on the passenger side of the engine. Common failure that has been described as making a 'marbles in a cup' sound.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I need to replace my tensioner pulley soon. Thanks for reminding me :( :P

If you can't make the rough idle go away, it may just be because inline-4-cylinder engines aren't very balanced and smooth. Newer Toyota engines like the 2AZ-FE engine use a balancing wheel assembly that meshes with the crankshaft. It has neoprene gears that can occasionally just explode/disintegrate apparently, but I don't think that's a common occurrence.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
nightmistwalker

the idle drops to about 600 rpm idleing in gear ,,the car never use to idle that low was always at 800-1000 in gear and idled smoothly,,this is new over the last few months and so is this vibration,,i checked the pulley while running did not see it move or do anything strange,,
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Replacing the intake manifold gasket is a good starting place for idle problems. Inexpensive and easy to fix with basic hand tools.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
lgerkin

Post by lgerkin »

I think I'm having the same issues with my '05 Vibe. There is a loud "shhhh" noise when I start it up that seems to be worse when it's really cold but has also happened in milder temps--but only after it's been sitting overnight. It also has a rough idle. Can you let me know if the suggestions of replacing the intake manifold gasket or throttle body gasket work? My mechanic didn't hear the noise when I took it in and was reluctant to guess what might be wrong. It only does it the first time I start the car. Thanks.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Spray carb cleaner everywhere that it could be leaking air into the system while the car is cold and running. The cleaner combusts differently and will make the idle speed change. I do this whenever I have a vacuum leak.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
nightmistwalker

seems the last people i paid to change the oil for me did not change anything,,i changed the oil myself with a good filter and a lot of the tapping noise has gone away,,
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

nightmistwalker wrote:seems the last people i paid to change the oil for me did not change anything,,i changed the oil myself with a good filter and a lot of the tapping noise has gone away,,
Wonder what the oil level was before you changed it. Maybe they under filled...

Did it help with rough idle too?
nightmistwalker

the oil was full and looked decent on the dipstick {not dark at all} until i drained it into the bucket and it was almost black in color, the car has quieted back down a lot but the idle seems to still drop to low once all the way warmed up and in gear ,,drops to around 600 rpm and causes the car to vibrate a bit,,wondering if i adjust it on the set screw if that would help maintain at least 800-1000 rpm idle?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

nightmistwalker wrote:the oil was full and looked decent on the dipstick {not dark at all} until i drained it into the bucket and it was almost black in color, the car has quieted back down a lot but the idle seems to still drop to low once all the way warmed up and in gear ,,drops to around 600 rpm and causes the car to vibrate a bit,,wondering if i adjust it on the set screw if that would help maintain at least 800-1000 rpm idle?
Even though there is no CEL I would check for vacuum leaks. Also, did you get a new PCM with the recall?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

nightmistwalker wrote: the idle seems to still drop to low once all the way warmed up and in gear ,,drops to around 600 rpm and causes the car to vibrate a bit,,wondering if i adjust it on the set screw if that would help maintain at least 800-1000 rpm idle?
Vibrologist is probably right about the vacuum leak, so I'd change the intake manifold gasket and throttle body gasket before messing with the set screw. They're easy and it costs about $25 all together for the two gaskets, Permatex 85409 gasket sealer/dressing, a can of carb cleaner, and a roll of shop towels.

Go to your local Toyota dealer and give the parts guy these numbers:

Throttle Body Gasket - 22271-0D030 (black rubber gasket)
Intake Manifold Gasket - 17171-22060 (make sure it is ORANGE)

biodieselrabbit posted pics of the job here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33056#p475654
nightmistwalker

thanks for the info guys,,,the oil changed helped a bit with the noise level ,,not as noisy as it was but still has the rough idle so going to do the gasket change next