Water leaking onto driver's side floor with A/C on

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
musicmanmu

Water leaking onto driver's side floor with A/C on

Post by musicmanmu »

This seems like a problem many folks (not just Vibe owners) have, and it started happening to my 2009 Vibe this past week. Moisture is trickling in from the lower part of the center console onto my driver's side floor mat when the A/C is on. I presume the drain is plugged or otherwise damaged? The car has 223,000 miles, so it's to be expected.

Any other '09 owners have this problem? What did you do to solve it? Not sure if I can get at the drains myself or should just look to take it in. Thankfully we're getting away from hot temps!
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

kumquat

Re: Water leaking onto driver's side floor with A/C on

Post by kumquat »

Well the bad news is that the defroster also uses the compressor and generates condensation too. So you should get it fixed. You can check the drain tube from under the car, it could just be that.
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

first you should look into making sure the condensate drain tube isn't clogged. you might want to run a mini toilet snake through it and hope the obstruction drains out with the pooled water in the hvac box.

remove the cabin filter, reinstall the filter cover.
start car, run a/c on full cold, blower on high speed and switch to OUTSIDE AIR.
spray lysol or some anti bacterial spray right into the cowl opening, try to aim it straight into the blower intake opening.
stop engine, allow lysol to chill inside the hvac box to kill and eliminate mold/mildew/nasty stuff.
install new cabin filter.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

bluneon wrote:first you should look into making sure the condensate drain tube isn't clogged. you might want to run a mini toilet snake through it and hope the obstruction drains out with the pooled water in the hvac box.

remove the cabin filter, reinstall the filter cover.
start car, run a/c on full cold, blower on high speed and switch to OUTSIDE AIR.
spray lysol or some anti bacterial spray right into the cowl opening, try to aim it straight into the blower intake opening.
stop engine, allow lysol to chill inside the hvac box to kill and eliminate mold/mildew/nasty stuff.
install new cabin filter.
I think you may also be able to reach the evaporator using a spray with the straw attachment from the runoff tube under the car, not sure though. Worth a try, maybe? Love the toilet snake suggestion.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit