New Forum Software

The latest news and announcements from the staff at GenVibe
joatmon

Re: New Forum Software

Post by joatmon »

My preference in the past was to upload supporting pictures to the relevant genvibe thread, instead of using an external picture hosting site. This was a good idea, until the forum update dropped all my uploaded pictures. I think I still have them all but it is tedious to try to remember which threads they go with. If anyone finds a thread where they want me to re-upload a picture, please IM me
Last edited by joatmon on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

So after some work, and a lot of trial and error to determine how gConverter translated old thread titles to new topic titles, I've determined that there are very few threads missing (less than 10 out of 38,000). At least some of those are from users whose accounts were deleted in the last few days or there was something else invalid about them, so it looks like that part is in good shape and I'm not going to pursue it further.

I'm moving on now to the next phase, which is looking for the followup posts (e.g., every post after the OP), of which many more seem to be missing. The ZF database structure is a little weird which has made the analysis a little slower, but I just thought I would let y'all know that I am moving forward with this.
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

that is good news Mike! looking forward to the next update!
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

Okay, this thread is now showing all (most) of its replies: viewtopic.php?t=19315

And other threads should be filling out as well.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

mkowdley wrote:Okay, this thread is now showing all (most) of its replies: viewtopic.php?t=19315

And other threads should be filling out as well.
Excellent! Thank you, Mike. I appreciate the effort you are putting into this.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

i updated the styling so that quotes that were imported from the old system are offset from the message similar to the way the quotes were generated after the switchover look. it's not exactly the same, but it's enough styling that they don't all blend together.
GMJAPAN

Post by GMJAPAN »

Help! I'm unable to log in using my former account from before the software migration. I was registered before with the username "GMJAP", but it doesn't accept my password. When I try to use the "forgot my password" feature, I put in my email and it says it sends me a new password but I never receive it. I have tried this several times. (Also checked spam folder)

Is there any way to "recover" my original account?

Thanks.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

GMJAPAN wrote:Is there any way to "recover" my original account?
send an email to mike@genvibe.com and include your email address and your login name, and i will send you a new password and delete your temporary account.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

BlueCrush wrote:Edit: My post count went from just over 9,900 to 7,121....Boooooo! :cry:
I counted the number of posts that you had in the old database by going straight to the zeroforum database and looking at the underlying data and it shows 8,131. The difference between 9,900 and 8,131 is quite a bit but I think that it results from things getting out of sync, threads getting deleted, or other kinds of miscounting. I believe 8,131 is an accurate number.

Your post count now was showing only 7,128 posts, but it appears that they weren't being counted correctly. I have made some changes and resynchronized and now you're showing 8,156 (everyone has been updated) and I believe this number is correct; you've made about 25 posts since the changeover.

Let me know if anything else seems amiss with post counts.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

When we get PM notifications. The notification is coming from your personal account mike.
Title reads "New private message has arrived‏" The email that it comes from the mkowdley at genvibe dot com address. Might want to look in to changing that so you are not accidently replied to if someone replies to the email instead of logging in to genvibe and looking at the PM
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

mkowdley wrote:
Your post count now was showing only 7,128 posts, but it appears that they weren't being counted correctly. I have made some changes and resynchronized and now you're showing 8,156 (everyone has been updated) and I believe this number is correct; you've made about 25 posts since the changeover.

Sweet. Now BlueCrush is back where he belongs, as the highest post count member that still owns a Vibe. :thumbup:

There are still several attachment formats we used to be able to upload that we no longer can. In the zeroforum decade I had uploaded a number of PDF files, and there had been some MSOffice products also uploaded by others. Allowing anything brings along some risk, and understand it's your choice, but please consider enabling the "Documents" attachment group. If not, its workable to host pretty much any file for free on http://sites.google.com, but it's easier to just upload it right into the thread.

On the zeroforum site, I liked having the link to View active topics in all the page headers.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

joatmon wrote:

On the zeroforum site, I liked having the link to View active topics in all the page headers.
This would be nice so we don't need to go back to the index and click view active topics again. If it was available in each new thread it would save a bit of time
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

Hi there,

Any luck with bringing over attached pictures? I've run into so many threads now where pictures would show, but it just says "attached files" with nothing there.

Most of these seem to be just pictures. Is it not allowing it due to previous pictures breaking the new rules in terms of size etc? Or could it not bring them over? I don't see it as a known issue.

Thanks
2003 Pontiac Vibe. AWD, Shadow, Monotone. Moons & Tunes. 16" Konig Zero-In wheels. (My Garage)
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

keithvibe wrote:
joatmon wrote:On the zeroforum site, I liked having the link to View active topics in all the page headers.
This would be nice so we don't need to go back to the index and click view active topics again. If it was available in each new thread it would save a bit of time
I added it to the list of items. I probably won't try to resolve this until I install a new header banner, since a lot of the layout at the top will change - the facebook, google ad, and header image will probably all juggle around a bit so I don't want to invest too much effort in layout right now. In the meantime, just bookmarking search.php?search_id=active_topics is probably the way to go.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

joatmon wrote:There were some good threads that used to be stickied, and should probably be restickied. How would you like us to nominate threads to be stickied, by posting in them or by reporting the post?
You can "report" a post (by clicking on the triangle at the top right of it), and I have added an option for "should be stickied"
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

joatmon wrote:please consider enabling the "Documents" attachment group
done
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

mkowdley wrote:
joatmon wrote:please consider enabling the "Documents" attachment group
done
see attachment
Attachments
vibetrouble.pdf
(87.71 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

hahaha love it
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

HAHAHA :lol:
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

keithvibe wrote:When we get PM notifications. The notification is coming from your personal account mike.
Title reads "New private message has arrived‏" The email that it comes from the mkowdley at genvibe dot com address. Might want to look in to changing that so you are not accidently replied to if someone replies to the email instead of logging in to genvibe and looking at the PM
There seems to be only one place to enter an email address and I don't want emails like new user registration or subscription notifications to be coming from a noreply@ email address (because I never want an email recipient to feel like they are getting spammed) so I might end up leaving this for now.
Houston

Post by Houston »

I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about the appearance of this new board that makes it more difficult to distinguish between posts already read and new ones. This makes it, for me, more work than fun. Is there a way to color-code or use another way to know the difference?
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

I will add it to the 'open issues' at the top of the page to increase the contrast for the 'what's new' icons
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Houston wrote:I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about the appearance of this new board that makes it more difficult to distinguish between posts already read and new ones. This makes it, for me, more work than fun. Is there a way to color-code or use another way to know the difference?
mkowdley wrote:I will add it to the 'open issues' at the top of the page to increase the contrast for the 'what's new' icons
To the left of each thread I am seeing vanilla colored boxes for threads with new posts and white boxes for threads with posts I have read.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

mkowdley wrote:
joatmon wrote:There were some good threads that used to be stickied, and should probably be restickied. How would you like us to nominate threads to be stickied, by posting in them or by reporting the post?
You can "report" a post (by clicking on the triangle at the top right of it), and I have added an option for "should be stickied"

just checking - is the report system still working?
I've reported three threads asking for them to be stickied, but they haven't been, and that's ok but the three obvious SPAM threads by new user preattjohn have been reported for a while but are still there.

understandable if things take a while or moderators are busy, but I'm not used to spam surviving here so long, so I thought it best to just check if reporting is ok. I reported this post, did you get the report?
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

joatmon wrote:understandable if things take a while or moderators are busy, but I'm not used to spam surviving here so long, so I thought it best to just check if reporting is ok. I reported this post, did you get the report?
It looks to me like the reporting is working correctly. I deleted the two spam posts. Mods - are you guys able to sticky threads? You should have that access, but a verification would be great.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

well, not seeing/hearing anything sticky, the three that I reported requesting they be stickied were
Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vib
The Great How-To Maintenance Index!
The Great How-To Modification Index!

I can't re-report them, get a message saying they have already been reported

another that could be stickied (since you recently bumped it) is How did you hear about GenVibe? (sticky note) but I did not submit a sticky request report for that one

If a mod is in there stickying Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vib perhaps they could restore the full thread title, which used to be

Code: Select all

Poor Man's Complete Performance Mod Guide for the 1ZZ-FE(Vibe Base & AWD) for Under $2,000
unless there is a thread title length limit in phpBB

Q: What is long, brown, and sticky
A: A stick
Houston

Post by Houston »

[quote="BlueCrush}To the left of each thread I am seeing vanilla colored boxes for threads with new posts and white boxes for threads with posts I have read.[/quote]

Thanks, BlueCrush. I hadn't noticed that.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

An interesting effect. There is something about Reynoma's profile, perhaps his signature, where in the threads he posted to, posts before his are normal, and everything in the page after his is in italics. (at least when viewed in Firefox 12)
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

I would like to extend my gratitude and thanks to mkowdley for going above and beyond on all his work on this forum. I was also having some problems with a slight username change and logging in, mostly self induced, and am humbly grateful for the work mkowdley did for me.
Again, thank you so much,
10vibe, formerly 10vibe1.8auto
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.