New Forum Software

The latest news and announcements from the staff at GenVibe
mkowdley
Site Admin

New Forum Software

Post by mkowdley »

The new forum software is live and running. I apologize for our long downtime. So far (and I'm still investigating), I feel like the gConverter folks did a good job in getting things migrated (uploaded files, avatars, account information, etc.) although I am of course still scanning the site to see how it all looks. They were way off on the time estimate - initially it was "24-48 hours" but that somehow unwound into 6.5 days. Most of the emails that I received from them over the course of those days were along the lines of "your database is bigger than we expected, so this is taking additional time". They knew ahead of time that we were at 500k messages and a 2.5gb database, but them's the breaks. In the end, here we are.

Thanks again for your patience, let's hope it's 10 years before we have to do this again!

If you notice any problems, post them here.
Known Issues:
* [resolved] Header Logo Missing
* [resolved] some attachments just say "attached files" with no attachment (mostly fixed, won't fix any that aren't fixed yet)
* [resolved] header layout is a mess (fixed, although when we get our banner contest finished we might need to change it)
* add new / unread / active / unanswered links to all pages (waiting on new banner first)
* pointer icon over resized images
* increase contrast of 'what's new' indicators and icons
* [resolved] need styling on imported quotes
* [resolved] no google ad shown at the bottom
* [resolved] some posts are missing!
* [resolved] subscriptions not migrated (won't fix)
* [resolved] facebook link missing
* [resolved] imported quotes not styled
* links to gallery missing (waiting on new banner first)
* gallery not working (waiting on new banner first)
* links to registry missing (waiting on new banner first)
* links to article content missing (waiting on new banner first)
* [resolved] links opening in the same window instead of a new window
* [resolved] google search missing (but there is now a forum search so this might not matter)(won't fix for now)
* registry links near avatars missing
* [resolved] last login showing as the user's registration date (i have emailed gconverter on this topic)
* [resolved] some posts appear to be missing (maybe related to search index not being updated)
* [resolved] search index not updated
* too much padding between the user's avatar and the left side of the page
* [resolved] in many posts (but not all), the text-size of the first line or two is smaller than the rest of the text. this is only happening in imported posts (not new ones) and is related to invalid html created by gconverter (<p> without a </p>) (won't fix for now)
BlueCrush

Re: New Forum Software

Post by BlueCrush »

Looks great so far, Mike!!! Nice easy layout similar to the old site. Great job!!

Edit: My post count went from just over 9,900 to 7,121....Boooooo! :cry:
Last edited by BlueCrush on Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

I love a fresh start. Might inspire me to redo my sig and garage! :D
Steelies to the rescue.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

So shiny! So Web 2.0! So default-top-banner-ish! ;)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Is there still threads to be uploaded? I tried searching for one about my dog's tumor and it is not there...?
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Lol I got this when searching for the "What did you do to your Vibe today?" thread (attached) hahahahaha! :lol:
Attachments
ScreenHunter_37 Apr. 19 15.31.jpg
ScreenHunter_37 Apr. 19 15.31.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 30958 times
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

BlueCrush wrote:Is there still threads to be uploaded? I tried searching for one about my dog's tumor and it is not there...?
Looks like the search index may need checked, I'm sure Mike will add it to the 'to-do' list. :)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I had a genvibe uploaded image as my signature. (Zeroforum had tracked it to over 700K downloads.) That image is no longer attached to the post

I was looking for some of the other threads where I know I had uploaded images, but can't find them. Search isn't happening for me, and the stickies I remembered are no longer sticky

edit - found one, those images previously uploaded to genvibe are not there, there is text that says "Attached files" (for example, viewtopic.php?f=28&t=7209 )
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

ponta2147 wrote:Lol I got this when searching for the "What did you do to your Vibe today?" thread (attached) hahahahaha! :lol:
ha! i will see if there is a search index that needs to be rebuilt
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

I can't remove my signature pic... I see where I can modify the text of the signature, but there doesn't seem to be any code for the image... its just ... there.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

phpbb wrote:The search backend is currently indexing all posts on the board. This can take from a few minutes to a few hours depending on your board’s size.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

took a look at how fast it's progressing... let's plan on 11 hours.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

I'll wait a week till I mention issues LOL :lol:
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

from my inherent inertia

I preferred the previous software's setting of 25 posts per page instead of the current 10
I liked having the active topics link on every page

Default is now to ALLOW USERS TO SEND ME EMAIL. I don't want that, and fixed it in my profile settings. Just wanted to mention it so people would notice.

Had to re-enter my location information. Wasn't that specific anyway, but what I had there did get lost in the conversion.

I am no longer a God. :D At various points we have debated the usefulness of post count derived tags, certainly a low priority thing to worry about, if ever. However, it would be good to tag the moderators as moderators. You admins get maroon usernames, but Sputnik only looks like a random user
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

joatmon wrote:from my inherent inertia

I preferred the previous software's setting of 25 posts per page instead of the current 10
I liked having the active topics link on every page

Default is now to ALLOW USERS TO SEND ME EMAIL. I don't want that, and fixed it in my profile settings. Just wanted to mention it so people would notice.

Had to re-enter my location information. Wasn't that specific anyway, but what I had there did get lost in the conversion.

I am no longer a God. :D At various points we have debated the usefulness of post count derived tags, certainly a low priority thing to worry about, if ever. However, it would be good to tag the moderators as moderators. You admins get maroon usernames, but Sputnik only looks like a random user
So is Arcsvibe <= looking like a general member not a moderator in green

One of my missing 2,800+ posts is my Genvibe Garage.... :cry:
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

joatmon wrote:
Yeah I mentioned that it says global moderators are indicated by green text, but its not doing it for us right now.
GenVibe Global Moderator

NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

joatmon wrote:However, it would be good to tag the moderators as moderators.
I fixed that for the moderators.
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Sputnik wrote:
joatmon wrote:
Yeah I mentioned that it says global moderators are indicated by green text, but its not doing it for us right now.
Fixed.
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

WOOT! I'm green! ;) :mrgreen:
GenVibe Global Moderator

ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

I'm :mrgreen: too!! LOL
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

joatmon wrote:I preferred the previous software's setting of 25 posts per page instead of the current 10
i have changed it, for now, to 50 per page. personally i think 25 is too few, but if the group thinks 50 is too much then i can change it back to 25.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

BlueCrush wrote:One of my missing 2,800+ posts is my Genvibe Garage.... :cry:
did you determine it's missing by using the search feature? i am currently re-indexing the search database right now, 45,900 posts done and 350k+ to go.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

mkowdley wrote:
BlueCrush wrote:One of my missing 2,800+ posts is my Genvibe Garage.... :cry:
did you determine it's missing by using the search feature? i am currently re-indexing the search database right now, 45,900 posts done and 350k+ to go.
It was linked to my signature and I also scrolled thru the Genvibe Garage forum. I also tried the search function and it just brought me to the site index.

Same with the thread about my dog's tumor. I scrolled thru the Off-Topic section as I had posted an update earlier this year and it is gone as well as 2,800+ other posts.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

well it seems i cannot rebuild the search index without crushing the CPU so i am going to run that late tonight
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

BlueCrush wrote:Edit: My post count went from just over 9,900 to 7,121....Boooooo! :cry:
no longer over 9000? i resynced all the post counts, so they should be accurate. your number would be high if it included posts that had subequently been deleted, pruned, etc... atlhough 25% change sounds pretty high!
Sputnik

Post by Sputnik »

Yeah I'm pretty sure I was over 4000 posts, and now I'm not... not that I really care. It makes no difference really.
GenVibe Global Moderator

mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

regarding the header, i know it looks like a mess right now but i will try to clean it up in a day or two. i'm thinking about putting together a "design the GVC forum header" contest, just have to figure out what the entry requirements are going to be (dimensions, etc.). it has to layout well on a mobile as well as desktop (maybe two versions?) and provide enough room for the adsense banner at the top of the page. look for more info on this soon!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

A bunch of thread to thread links still have the old zeroforum URLs
(e.g. the links in viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5153 )

it looks like links are now black instead of blue/purple. Perhaps bold, but a lot harder to tell that they are links. not sure if its my browser, my profile, or a global forum setting
4azdmunky

Post by 4azdmunky »

Hey guys, good work, new forum looks good, works well
PaulL

Post by PaulL »

Looks good to me - the only funny thing I've seen so far is that the only language selection is British English! :-)
FWIW, I like 50 posts per page, but if it's a problem, couldn't that be a user profile option?

Paul L.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

mkowdley wrote:
BlueCrush wrote:Edit: My post count went from just over 9,900 to 7,121....Boooooo! :cry:
no longer over 9000? i resynced all the post counts, so they should be accurate. your number would be high if it included posts that had subequently been deleted, pruned, etc... atlhough 25% change sounds pretty high!
Would have been nice to at least have my Garage thread. I probably won't bother making another one. The reason I asked about my dog's (Zephyr) tumor thread, is that he passed away on Saturday, 5 years after his tumor was removed, and just wanted to add that in there to kind of bring closure to it. Oh well...

REALLY?? = My Poor Man's Mod Thread is gone too? (removed)?? A ton of work went into that one...

I really don't care about the post count but there were some threads I made that A LOT of people referenced. Bummer!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

i'm going to look into it when i can
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

mkowdley wrote:regarding the header, i know it looks like a mess right now but i will try to clean it up in a day or two. i'm thinking about putting together a "design the GVC forum header" contest, just have to figure out what the entry requirements are going to be (dimensions, etc.). it has to layout well on a mobile as well as desktop (maybe two versions?) and provide enough room for the adsense banner at the top of the page. look for more info on this soon!

haha and im already working on a "New" ish banner header! lol

i too noticed that my post count dwindeled from a tad over 5,000
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

joatmon wrote:A bunch of thread to thread links still have the old zeroforum URLs
I wrote a program that should redirect any request for an old forum link (i.e., one that looks like this: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=8984 ) to the corresponding topic in the new forum.

The redirect is done based on the topic creator's name and the title. I have had several problems with it due to some mangling that was done of the topic titles when they were imported (apostrophes converted into HTML entities, other HTML entities stripped away like lt; and gt;, commas removed, spaces trimmed, etc.), and so it is a little inexact. If you notice a link to an old thread that doesn't redirect you to a corresponding thread in the new system, let me know and I'll check to see if some more special case code is needed.

You can check out the links on the page that joatmon listed to see the effect of this page redirection. You'll notice that one link doesn't work, but that's because it was an invalid link in the old forums as well (topic deleted).
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

BlueCrush, your Poor Man's Mod index is
viewtopic.php?t=19315

your other threads are probably searchable now
Last edited by joatmon on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

There does seem to be a massive amount of posts/threads deleted. I went from 711 to 547 posts, a 23% drop!
Attachments
Baltovibe.JPG
Baltovibe.JPG (5.59 KiB) Viewed 30811 times
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

mkowdley wrote:
joatmon wrote:A bunch of thread to thread links still have the old zeroforum URLs
I wrote a program that should redirect any request for an old forum link (i.e., one that looks like this: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=8984 ) to the corresponding topic in the new forum.

The redirect is done based on the topic creator's name and the title. I have had several problems with it due to some mangling that was done of the topic titles when they were imported (apostrophes converted into HTML entities, other HTML entities stripped away like lt; and gt;, commas removed, spaces trimmed, etc.), and so it is a little inexact. If you notice a link to an old thread that doesn't redirect you to a corresponding thread in the new system, let me know and I'll check to see if some more special case code is needed.

You can check out the links on the page that joatmon listed to see the effect of this page redirection. You'll notice that one link doesn't work, but that's because it was an invalid link in the old forums as well (topic deleted).

The first posts of my garage, tumor thread and Poor Man's mod index are back, but none of the replies are there. I guess that's better than nothing. :) Thanks!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

BlueCrush wrote:The first posts of my garage, tumor thread and Poor Man's mod index are back, but none of the replies are there. I guess that's better than nothing. :) Thanks!
Hmm, well things are improving anyway. I'm going to email gConverter and see what's up. Another thread was pointed out to me as missing as well that I emailed them about.
Houston

Post by Houston »

I thought I posted yesterday asking where the option is to make fonts larger, but don't see it here. Maybe I screwed up. Anyway, how do those of us who have trouble reading small print make it larger? I can see how to make the fonts in my own posts larger, but how do I make the fonts of this entire board larger and therefore easier for me to read?
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

Houston wrote:I thought I posted yesterday asking where the option is to make fonts larger, but don't see it here. Maybe I screwed up. Anyway, how do those of us who have trouble reading small print make it larger? I can see how to make the fonts in my own posts larger, but how do I make the fonts of this entire board larger and therefore easier for me to read?
At the top right of the page, just left of the box that says "Search", there is a blue letter "A" with some arrows around it - click that.
Houston

Post by Houston »

That did it. Thanks a million!
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

well this is wack
Mike,

I’m sorry, but we can’t reduce this topic. Just want let you know, that Zeroforum and phpBB forums are totally different bulletin boards, phpBB has a lots of different and limits, that’s not possible to do 100% identical conversion. You should understand this aspect and do not expect 100% result. gConverter is the most popular and complete way to do such a conversion. Our result is about 97-99%. There is not any other solutions, which can even do the 50% result of our work. You have about 400k posts and this is a not small forum to do one by one conversion.

Also, if you are not satisfied with this result, just let us know and we’ll remove this phpBB converted database instantly and you will not pay for this service.

--

Thank you
Developer at gConverter
Enzo Fanelli

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2012 8:31 PM
To: gConverter Support
Subject: missing threads

Enzo

Here is another thread that was in the old system, this one doesn't appear at all in the new system

http://zforums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=45278
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

not the most encouraging reply one might hope for. Perhaps some database errors crept in over the past ten years, with various system outages and crashes, that the conversion process just couldn't cope with.

I think of a really sweet car when I see the name Enzo

If you decide to go back to the way it was, then never mind, but if you want to keep the phpBB, then an FYI, the political asylum no longer restricts reading to logged in members only (can still read when not logged in)
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

In doing an unscientific search, it appears there could be about a thousand threads that did not make the transfer between the old forum and the new forum. And, I miss ZeroForum's print view.
Genvibe thread count old.JPG
Genvibe thread count old.JPG (28.32 KiB) Viewed 30765 times
Genvibe thread count new.JPG
Genvibe thread count new.JPG (49.39 KiB) Viewed 30765 times
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Baltovibe wrote:In doing an unscientific search, it appears there could be about a thousand threads that did not make the transfer between the old forum and the new forum. And, I miss ZeroForum's print view.
The statistics at the bottom of the Board Index page says "Total posts 429346 • Total topics 38501 • Total members 24224 •" which is 218 more threads than shown in the old genvibe pic you posted. Did you have that pic saved off or do you have a way of accessing the old site still?

however, back in October 2011, the forum hit 500,000 posts viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37294 The new site now shows about 70K posts less than that

When viewing a thread, there is a print view icon at the top right in the navigation pane, to the left of the Search box

Voting in a poll no longer bumps it to the top of the forum, which is probably a good thing
Editing a post after someone has read it will now throw in a footnote indicating the post has been edited, which is also probably a good thing

There were some good threads that used to be stickied, and should probably be restickied. How would you like us to nominate threads to be stickied, by posting in them or by reporting the post?
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

joatmon wrote:If you decide to go back to the way it was, then never mind, but if you want to keep the phpBB, then an FYI, the political asylum no longer restricts reading to logged in members only (can still read when not logged in)
this is fixed now
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

Baltovibe wrote:And, I miss ZeroForum's print view.
have you tried the phpbb print view and found it unsuitable? there is a printer icon near the top right of each page
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

joatmon wrote:Did you have that pic saved off or do you have a way of accessing the old site still?
There is a way to access the old site. Using your method, which probably includes the off-limit threads that only the moderators see:

Genvibe old forum:
Genvibe thread count old 2.JPG
Genvibe thread count old 2.JPG (7.14 KiB) Viewed 30756 times
Genvibe new forum:
Genvibe thread count new 2.JPG
Genvibe thread count new 2.JPG (6.81 KiB) Viewed 30756 times
mkowdley wrote:have you tried the phpbb print view and found it unsuitable? there is a printer icon near the top right of each page
Mike, I totally missed seeing that print icon. I will give it a try!
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

just as an update, i am continuing to work on recovering some of the old pages. specifically with the "poor man's guide... under 2000", i can see all 130 posts in the old database, and have made a little progress in figuring out what's what in the new database.

somewhat related, i have made some additional improvements to the code that rewrites links to ZF into the corresponding links for phpbb, so you will see some links start working again. further updates as events warrant.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

My post count has also dropped significantly. I had somewhere around 3080ish and it's 2883 now :(. The new setup is okay, but I definitely preferred the ZF setup.
BlueCrush wrote:The reason I asked about my dog's (Zephyr) tumor thread, is that he passed away on Saturday, 5 years after his tumor was removed, and just wanted to add that in there to kind of bring closure to it. Oh well...
I'm so sorry to hear that Brian :cry:.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage