GVC Updates

The latest news and announcements from the staff at GenVibe
mkowdley
Site Admin

GVC Updates

Post by mkowdley »

I'm reposting my post from another thread here, so that I can use it as a place to keep people updated on what's going on, on the "business" end, with GenVibe.Com.All,Genvibe.com is making a transition to a new owner and so there may be a few interruptions in service as we get things transferred to the new datacenter.The www and gallery is currently running on temporary hardware, the forum is on the old hardware, and the registry and email apparently are not running at all. I'm going to get Nick's email and the registry restored this week as best I can.The new hardware should be going into service around March 1st, at which time we'll be migrating www, gallery, and registry onto it.The forum software is still an open issue since the zeroforum software is no longer available in the format we currently use, and it may not be possible to transfer our existing software onto new hardware. I loathe having to build a converter to move from ZeroForum to something else (vBulletin or phpBB) but we may not have an option at this point; a site license for zeroforum is prohibitively expensive.For the curious, the scionzone.com site will also be moving to that same hardware, although it's currently a lower priority that GenVibe.I'll do my best to keep Nick updated with the current progress and he'll do his best to keep me alerted of issues brought up by the community that need to be resolved. Thanks for your patience!Mike K.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Re: GVC Updates (mkowdley)

Post by mkowdley »

As of now, Nick's genvibe.com email should be working correctly, and the registry should be working correctly as well. It's been some years since I've taken a look at the registry so there may be some feature that isn't working that I don't remember - so let me know if you notice anything that needs attention.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

Thursday I noticed that the web server for the www / gallery / registry part of the site was getting hung up regularly, so I made a few configuration changes, hopefully that will calm down the issues that have been occurring. Nick and I will be monitoring to see how it fares. New hardware is scheduled to be installed in 2-3 weeks so we've just got to make it through until then.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

thanks for keeping us posted.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

So far it appears that the changes to the webserver have had the desired effect, I haven't seen any issues of it crashing or throwing error messages since Friday evening.I have begun exploring what it will take to convert our current forum software into something more suitable. We're looking for a solution that is customizable, currently maintained / developed, has available mods to download / is popular (these end up being the same requirement, interestingly enough), and is free. Since zeroforum only meets the first of those four requirements, I don't think that it's sustainable going forward.As I have the most experience with phpBB, that's what's on my radar right now. I think the change to a new forum software will be a little bit painful but keeping a valid zeroforum license is out of the question.Some of you have noticed new ads at the bottom of the page. Changes like that will be a necessary result of dropping our "corporate" backing.Thanks to all for sticking with it.
abbotlex

Post by abbotlex »

Thanks for the updates and your efforts. Thoroughly enjoy this site.Noticed a new "favicon" today. Sweet!
2005 Vibe Base Platinum (Bought 7/12/08 - Sold 11/20/09)K&N / NGK Plugs / Blacked out arrows / Removed side emblemsScangaugeII / DRL red wire cutHankook K106 Tires on 16" ADR Battle Axe Gunmetal RimsKenwood DPX302 Head Unit / KSC-SW10 Powered SubKenwood TM-D700A Dual Band Amateur Radio and Garmin GPS
kevera

Post by kevera »

I think you guys should set something up to accept donations from members.Maybe get different privileges for donating,or something to that effect.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
AKLGT

Re: GVC Updates (kevera)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I think you guys should set something up to accept donations from members.Maybe get different privileges for donating,or something to that effect.and have some real corporate sponsors, vendors who pay for the right to vend and sell on this forum vs just anyone who can spam.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: GVC Updates

Post by NSimkins »

Please note that due to forum migration issues, auto-generated e-mail messages are currently unavailable. This includes the e-mail responses you receive when creating a new account, changing your forum account password, updating your account e-mail address, and the weekly forum subscription e-mails (if configured on your account). We are manually completing the new registration process for new members so a 24-48 hour delay in receiving your initial password e-mail should be expected.If you have any problems accessing your account and are not receiving the reset message, please e-mail info@genvibe.com with your account information (membername and e-mail address) so we can handle your request.We expect this issue to be resolved once we have completed the migration from ZeroForum to the new forum software.Thanks for your cooperation.
NascarXprt

Re: GVC Updates (NSimkins)

Post by NascarXprt »

for forums, maybe using a layout like 9thgencorolla has, it allows you to donate to the site, gives you an award in your user bar, as well as reconizing each members acheivements, like being MOTM or Car of the month, spending so much $$$ on your vehicle, getting a certain place in a car show, getting a purple heart for having something happen to your car, etc. Awards: http://www.9thgencorolla.com/forum/awards.phpforum post setup:
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM