Regarding Moderator Action

The latest news and announcements from the staff at GenVibe
millster

Regarding Moderator Action

Post by millster »

Recently, I have become aware of some rumours circulating around the boards regarding a particular action taken on behalf of the GVC staff. I want to clear a few things up.We have a very active and fair moderator team here at GVC (and I restate TEAM). Nothing here is done without discussion on the part of the team. There is no one moderator who makes all decisions and I (and the other moderators) do not undertake a major action without consulting at least the majority of our fellows.I would also like to point out that at no point has all of a situation been known to the public of the site. These situations often begin and end behind the scenes. We will not discuss the details with any member not directly involved out of respect for the member in question. It does occasionally happen that an action is taken against a seemingly harmless member but keep the above in mind. There is frequently more to the story.This having been said, we will not turn away questions regarding an action if directed to us via IM/PM but some of those questions may not be answered as mentioned above. Please do not discuss these actions in a thread or mention it in a signature. These serve no purpose other than to create further tension on the board. If you have questions or disagree with something about it, contact a moderator via PM. Do remember that when addressing these situations, it's always best to be constructive. The rule stating we don't allow harrassment of users applies to us too. Thank you all for your cooperation and for keeping this site the great place it is!
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
millster

Re: Regarding Moderator Action (millster)

Post by millster »

OK, I think it's time to bring this back to the front but maybe restate a few things.First of all, I'd like to remind everyone why we're here. This is a site dedicated to the love of the Pontiac Vibe. We do have an off-topic forum, we do have forums dedicated to jokes and political discussions. But those are not the primary focuses of this site and as such they are subject to moderation. Our site moderators work VERY hard to keep this site friendly and free of any material that would be deemed objectionable. This is in the interest of keeping this a site that is suitable for use by members of ANY age, etc. I think you will all agree that we have one of the more friendly sites out there.In order to accomplish this, we occasionally need to edit or delete a thread or request that a thread be edited. This is not picking on someone or censorship. This is moderation and it's what moderators do. The reason I make these points is to request that you simply cooperate when asked. Do not argue and above all, do NOT post in a thread berating moderators for simply doing their jobs. Believe me that this will NOT help your case. We're not acting on a power trip, we're simply doing what we were tasked to do and that is keeping the site clean and friendly. I can not overstate the fact that if you have ANY questions about a moderator's actions state them via PM. Do not post in the forums. This will result in your post or thread being removed and if the problem persists may result in account suspension. Despite how it may appear at times, we are all approachable and friendly if approached in a like manner. I'm speaking for myself here, but if I'm attacked I won't be very gracious in return. Some of my colleagues are more patient. All this said, please help us out. We're only trying to keep this site running and running in an order that can please ALL of our members. If asked to change something or if something is changed accept it and move on. You'll be doing all of us as members of Genvibe a HUGE favor.Thanks!
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
tcam

Post by tcam »

Please don't get me in trouble for saying this, but I feel kinda like I'm in an elementary school again when I come to this site. If it weren't for the helpful modding tips, I probably wouldn't still be visiting this forum.Don't take this personally, I understand how difficult it must be to try to run an orderly forum. I just wish u guys could be a little more lenient. And my reason for not sending this via IM/PM is that I think a lot of the other members may feel this way.I will always respect this site and appreciate its truly helpful posters, but I just don't think I will ever have the same interest in it as I had when I first joined.
millster

Re: Regarding Moderator Action (tcam)

Post by millster »

Well tcam, here's the way I see it and I fear you'll be surprised to find that many members agree with me.If the posting that is going on is staying true to the intent of the site (that is mod tips, help with problems, etc) then none of this conversation would be necessary. I don't feel that we're unnecessarily strict in anything we do. We've never stopped anything that is a constructive thread on this site and we never will. To look at what we've done, we've suspended accounts of spammers and major offenders, we've asked that profanity be limited (this is NOTHING unusual on a forum might I add), we step in when a member is being attacked, and we try to keep control of rampant (I hate this term) "postwhoring".Tell me where we are being TOO strict? To me, these are all logical things to keep a handle on on a forum like this. I'm sorry, but I know a good number of people who don't want to post on a forum that is a free-for-all with wild profanity, constant personal attacks and millions of irrelevant posts. If you ask me, THAT is more like elementary school.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
ragingfish

Re: Regarding Moderator Action

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by millster »To look at what we've done, we've suspended accounts of spammers and major offenders, we've asked that profanity be limited (this is NOTHING unusual on a forum might I add), we step in when a member is being attacked, and we try to keep control of rampant (I hate this term) "postwhoring".Man's got a point!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
WD0AFQ

Re: Regarding Moderator Action (ragingfish)

Post by WD0AFQ »

I am with you Millster. I quit a Jeep forum because everytime some guy asked a question 6 guys jumped all over the poor fella because that question had already been asked back in 1997. I enjoy the friendly atmosphere here and look forward to reading the posts. Won't embarras my wife to look over my shoulder.
Dan GreggDexter, Mo.03 GThttp://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
tcam

Re: Regarding Moderator Action (WD0AFQ)

Post by tcam »

lol, my only truly big complaint is the whole street racing thing. This site used to be so much more exciting when u could here of peoples' stories.U can't deny the fact that a huge amount of tuners street race. It's almost a part of the hobby. I'm not saying everyone does it, but I'm saying it's extremely prevelant and obviously a huge source of entertainment towards a lot of people.....Basically, I love racing whether it is on the street or not, and I can't stand the fact that I'm not even alowed to bring it up anymore. The amount of people that actually go to the track is pathetic, and u have to admit that the Racing Section is pretty much dead now.Overall, I just don't think the site is what it used to be. Sry if I'm making some people mad, cuz I know how much some of ya'll hate Street Racing.Also, I'm not even old enough to race at the strip, and my parents won't give me their permission. So I don't have many options really.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

I enjoy this site because it is professional, courteous, and respectful (most of the time). sure we have fun and enjoy bantering here or there, but all in all, it is free of the idiots, imbiciles, and immature children. i don't enjoy going to other matrix/vibe sites because of the lack of respect shown for members. plus, i get tired of staring at inappropriate (imo) avatars usually featuring some women's body parts.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
AKLGT

Re: Regarding Moderator Action (tcam)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »lol, my only truly big complaint is the whole street racing thing. This site used to be so much more exciting when u could here of peoples' stories.U can't deny the fact that a huge amount of tuners street race. It's almost a part of the hobby. I'm not saying everyone does it, but I'm saying it's extremely prevelant and obviously a huge source of entertainment towards a lot of people.....Basically, I love racing whether it is on the street or not, and I can't stand the fact that I'm not even alowed to bring it up anymore. The amount of people that actually go to the track is pathetic, and u have to admit that the Racing Section is pretty much dead now.Overall, I just don't think the site is what it used to be. Sry if I'm making some people mad, cuz I know how much some of ya'll hate Street Racing.Also, I'm not even old enough to race at the strip, and my parents won't give me their permission. So I don't have many options really.with the exception of matrixowners, all other MAJOR car forums do not allow street racing kill stories. in fact, posting such would be grounds for banning. plus, you need to keep in mind, there are a lot of legal implications and liability that come with these forums. the larger the forum, the larger the liability.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Sputnik

Re: Regarding Moderator Action

Post by Sputnik »

What has kept me coming back to Genvibe for almost 5 years is the fact that I'm comfortable here. The reason I'm comfortable here? I don't worry that people are going to jump all over me if I happen to say something that's incorrect (ie, I don't know a whole lot about cars so I might say the name of a part wrong or something). I know that generally speaking, members here are accepting of the other members and for the most part, people play by the rules. It is a nice atmosphere here. All of the moderators are working hard to keep it that way. We want members to be comfortable here. As for the street racing, we still allow racing discussion in The Track. It just has to be LEGAL racing and that is definitely more than fair for all members.
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
Kari

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by Kari »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »I enjoy this site because it is professional, courteous, and respectful (most of the time). sure we have fun and enjoy bantering here or there, but all in all, it is free of the idiots, imbiciles, and immature children. i don't enjoy going to other matrix/vibe sites because of the lack of respect shown for members. plus, i get tired of staring at inappropriate (imo) avatars usually featuring some women's body parts. I agree, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is bothered by said avatars. When we see avatars like that, we ask people to change them because objectification of women is not really something we wish to promote.As for the racing thing, tcam, I'm not understanding why people going to the track is considered "pathetic." It's fun. Have you ever done it? It's a whole lot safer than racing on the street and you actually prove more because there's a timing system who can really tell you who won and by how much...plus you don't have to have any fear of cops appearing in the back window. Either way, the reason we elected to remove the original Racing forum was because it was against our TOS -- it promoted illegal activities. That's why we changed the name of the forum and gave it new rules that promoted racing on the track, which is the legal way to do so.
GenVibe Global Moderator
tcam

Re: (Kari)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »As for the racing thing, tcam, I'm not understanding why people going to the track is considered "pathetic." It's fun. Have you ever done it? It's a whole lot safer than racing on the street and you actually prove more because there's a timing system who can really tell you who won and by how much...plus you don't have to have any fear of cops appearing in the back window. Either way, the reason we elected to remove the original Racing forum was because it was against our TOS -- it promoted illegal activities. That's why we changed the name of the forum and gave it new rules that promoted racing on the track, which is the legal way to do so.lol, I was saying the "amount" of people that actually go race at the track is pathetic. Not the people that do it. I love going to the track, and watching friends race.With what everyone is saying, I most definately feel very comfortable here, and I love that. I just wish that we could have more freedom with what we can talk about. I understand that keeping a forum under control is a very fragile thing, and that is why I'm not freaking out here. It's just about impossible to keep everyone satisfied in such a large group, and I'm impressed that so many people are content with how this site is being run. I guess I'm just one of the few who are looking for something... well...different.
Kari

Re: (tcam)

Post by Kari »

Oh, okay, I thought you were saying it's pathetic that a lot of people go to the track and race, not that it's pathetic that so few people do it.
GenVibe Global Moderator
tcam

Re: (Kari)

Post by tcam »

lol
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Somebody (bodies) have to make and enforce the rules - and I am glad it is not on my shoulders. If I ever complain about such, just tell me you will refund my membership fee!
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
millster

Re: Regarding Moderator Action (jake75)

Post by millster »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »Somebody (bodies) have to make and enforce the rules - and I am glad it is not on my shoulders. If I ever complain about such, just tell me you will refund my membership fee! Well thanks. It's the least we could do, of course. We will fully refund membership fees if an account has to be suspended. I would also like to thank everyone for their input in this thread. I wasn't originally planning it to be a discussion but after seeing the direction it has gone, I'm glad.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

I will agree that I have mixed emotions on things. I think that the site has it's plus and minus points, but overall runs smooth, has good people, good conversations and helpful topics. Maybe I can't talk about anything and everything I want, and have to hold somethings back, but on the plus side, I don't get spam from the site, I have met some awsome people, I alwways have a good conversation on here somewhere, and it's all free....If there are things that are missing from this site (such as you want to swear, or talk about street racing, or make fun of people or anything), there are plenty of other forums out there that you can do it. I know there are multiple people here that also go on to MO, and other forums. Just cause you are a part of GV, doesn't mean you can't be a part of another family.....
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I like genvibe, one of the few forums I have found where a newbie is welcomed as a friend, and it was this attitude that got me to come back when I was a noob. It is the friendly cooperative atmosphere here that keeps me coming back. I almost never read the threads in the racing forum, before it became the track, most of them made me want to post opinions the originators certainly did not want to hear. We may lose members because they can not post their kill stories here. I know that in the past, genvibe has lost active and knowlegeable members because genvibe did allow posting of kill stories. We are a wide and diverse community.There is a poem, or prayer perhaps called serendipity, goes something like "Please grant me the serenty to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change those I can, and the wisdom to know the difference" With respect to genvibe's policy on street racing kill stories, wisdom indicates serenity is appropriate As for the original topic of this thread, I respect the moderators decisions, some of those decisions are unfortunate, but unfortunate in that the members actions made those moderating actions required. Even when friends I had here have been banned, I defer to the moderator's and admin's judgement. Sure there are things I might do differently than the mods, showing more or less tolerance for certain things, but make no mistake, all should be grateful I am not an official of this site, it is run far better than I could. I believe that those who do run and moderate this site take actions with the best interest of the community as a whole as their primary motivation, and I thank them for that, and for this site.
Atomb

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by Atomb »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »I enjoy this site because it is professional, courteous, and respectful (most of the time). sure we have fun and enjoy bantering here or there, but all in all, it is free of the idiots, imbiciles, and immature children. i don't enjoy going to other matrix/vibe sites because of the lack of respect shown for members. plus, i get tired of staring at inappropriate (imo) avatars usually featuring some women's body parts. extremely well said, Hope.I agree completely.I used to be a mod at another forum (PDA based) and it was pretty good for the first while...things changed, people complained about the rules, and it got so pathetic i quit the site. It just wasn't worth it.Quote »I believe that those who do run and moderate this site take actions with the best interest of the community as a whole as their primary motivation, and I thank them for that, and for this site.I also second this sentiment from Joat.So far I am very impressed with the way this forum is handled and I only know of one other that comes close and it has 1/10th the number of members so that makes it a bit easier.Good job! (doesn't get said enough)
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
tcam

Re: (Atomb)

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by millster »I would also like to thank everyone for their input in this thread. I wasn't originally planning it to be a discussion but after seeing the direction it has gone, I'm glad.Your welcome lol, I'm glad too lol, I was originally in a bad mood/peeved when I first posted in this thread, and I was very hesitant to actually post in fear that it would head in the wrong direction. But somehow we managed to almost counsel one another throughout this discussion. lol. It's wierd, but now I feel much better about this stuff. lol. (I guess this is the "friendliness" and "cooperation" that we've been talking about)
millster

Post by millster »

I'd say yes, tcam. You were a prime example of that friendliness and cooperation. You stated your opinion in a constructive manner and as you see, it was met with the respect that was due it. Unfortunately it's a position we're not prepared to change our stance on but at least you know you were heard.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
GrayFox

Re: (Atomb)

Post by GrayFox »

I miss reading the racing stories but I deffinately see the liabily issue that comes with that. There's plenty more to this site that keeps me coming back anyway. Great info about everything that is the Vibe and even better people It's really nice to have a place where you can speak your mind (within reason) and not have people jump you about stuff. Many thanks go out to the admins, mods, and members for this great site. Now... where's my "I Genvibe" bumper sticker
ArcsVibe

Post by ArcsVibe »

Quote, originally posted by tcam »Your welcome lol, I'm glad too lol, I was originally in a bad mood/peeved when I first posted in this thread, and I was very hesitant to actually post in fear that it would head in the wrong direction. But somehow we managed to almost counsel one another throughout this discussion. lol. It's wierd, but now I feel much better about this stuff. lol. (I guess this is the "friendliness" and "cooperation" that we've been talking about) That is the "mood" we try to keep here on GVC. Really I am also a member of other forums and it becomes very boring and tiresome when the flaming and bashing goes on and on and on. Really there is no point to all of that.I said it on day one and I will say it again...GENVIBE Rocks! I have met some great people on this site (and off site too!) and I love coming here everyday.You can always PM one of us if you have a problem, even with one of us. We, the team of mods are always here to hear you and help you out.Merci! Grazie! Thanks!
Genvibe Global Moderator
MOTM September 06 & July 09
VOTM April 06
Neptune Vibe 2003 (7-10-2003 - 9-14-2010 vendu/sold)
Mazda3 GX 2008 (9-14-2010 - 5-09-2014 vendu/sold)
Matrix XR 2010 (5-09-2014)

tnpartsguy

Post by tnpartsguy »

At one time I thought I might want to be a moderator....I mean I AM online 18 hours a day, usually....but I've seen some of the abuse that the moderators here (and at G20.net) have taken, and I'm just not sure I could handle it with the class and style the moderators here (and there, for that matter) have done. Viva 'la Mods!!
Current Ride 2015 GMC Terrain SLT
2nd Vibe 2006 Vibe AWD Stealth Monotone "Recon" December 2005 MOTM
Original Vibe: 2003 AWD Abyss Monotone "Darth"
GM/ASE Certified Parts Manager.
Mavrik

Re: (tnpartsguy)

Post by Mavrik »

With the altering of the racing story rules... it became clear which cars are fast and which ones are infact just "fast" I'm glad the unrealistic stories are gone You mods do a good job.*were is my treat?*
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

As a former moderator on this site, there is a lot that goes on in the background that most of the community does not see. These are things that do not need to be out in the open, but handled privately behind the scenes. Honestly, I don't really miss being a moderator here because most of the time it is a thankless job. So I appreciate the hard work and dedication our moderators give and those mods who know they are unable to fulfil their duty who step down, for whatever reasons they have. I have lost a friend on this site as well as helped send one packing. All in all, there are reasons for it. I don't believe people realize how much or how long it takes before someone is actually banned from this site! You really have to do something worthy of such punishment such as banishment! LOL Sometimes, it is fun to talk about that car that tried to pass you but couldn't, but if we let that in, where would it stop? It seems innocent or harmless enough, however, how is racing at 30 mph at an intersection different from racing at 100 mph on the hwy at 2 am? There is still the ramifications of illegal racing. Would GVC want to promote red light runners? they are racing the light afterall. I used to make all kinds of excuses about not going to the track or that it was too far, too hard on the car, etc. But now that I have, I love it. I enjoy racing, the competitive spirit and the commeraderie of the other drivers and tuners there. Not just at the 1/4 mile track, but also at the solo events. Even our NASIOC chapter, we discourage street racing. And anytime someone posts something stupid about how they raced some guy, it's deleted but not until after several older and wiser members lecture and remind these young idiots, they are the reasons we do get harassed by the cops. Their actions confirm the profiling they do for people who drive WRX's and such. Then, the thread is locked, and usually warnings sent out. if it's bad enough, the mods will ban the offender.In my legacygt.com forum, you so much as hint about illegal racing, it's deleted and you are given a warning. too many warnings you are banned period.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

I also appreciate the job the moderators do here. I've been moderating a board for 17 years (yes, it was a dial up BBS first, for those old enough to remember those), so I appreciate the effort it takes. There are plenty of other venues available for those who don't mind flames, personal attacks, etc. I find that I still like to read genvibe, even though I'm older than most of you and not into modding, just because it is a friendly place.Keep up the good work.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

I used to frequent MO, but all of the crap they permit there - swearing, inappropriate avatars and threads, endless stories of street races that can't possibly be real - gets old fast.Note that I said I USED to frequent MO.I've been out of a vibe for over a year, and I still frequent this site more than even the G6 forums.It truly is a spectacular community.­¡Viva la Genvibe!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
AKLGT

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »I used to frequent MO, but all of the crap they permit there - swearing, inappropriate avatars and threads, endless stories of street races that can't possibly be real - gets old fast.Note that I said I USED to frequent MO.I've been out of a vibe for over a year, and I still frequent this site more than even the G6 forums.It truly is a spectacular community.­¡Viva la Genvibe!same here, although lately I do spend quite a bit of time on the Subaru regional forums (but that is due to having so many friends and customers there). I still enjoy the people here and the moderators.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

I enjoy my time here aswell..honestly the best and most organized forum i've been on..and i've been on quite a few..not only car related but video game related and art related..all i can say is i see nothing wrong with this forum or anyone in it..everyone is very awesome and welcoming..even to a guy who couldnt even afford a vibe and drives a sunfire...and whoever else doesnt have a vibe aswell...when a new member posts that they're new..and usually i add that this is the best forum on the web..i mean it..so keep up the great work moderators..and everyone else for being in the best manners and welcoming everyone no matter who they are or what they drive
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Eh! The forum is alright. I just wish I could spend more time on here. lol. j/k. haha. I LOVE THIS PLACE You mods do a great job as always. Keep it up! They have cracked the whip on me a couple times. lol. I just try to be more aware of what I type while on GenVibe.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

my old car club forum is just a huge soap opera online..it's kinda pathetic..im never on it anymore..unless i need to get something for my car lol..but other then that..it aint worth it
fmwright

Post by fmwright »

I think I have been surfing forums since before alot of you guys (and gals) were born. This is one of the friendliest places I have gone into. I co-moderated a system (we used to call them a BBS) in florida when 300 baud was really cruising. If everybody acts like adults, everybody can have a good time.
'06 Salsa RedSun & Sound 1 CDSirius 'Gotta have my Howard'