A manual transmission should be classified as an 'anti-theft' device!

Funny or humorous-type discussions. (follow posting rules)
kostby

A manual transmission should be classified as an 'anti-theft' device!

Post by kostby »

Tell this to your insurance agent next time you renew your policy:Two carjackers in Florida eventually fled when they discovered the intended vehicle had a manual transmission neither of them knew how to drive. Same thing a few weeks ago in California.Full article from LA Times:http://latimesblogs.latimes.co....html

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
TONY TAT2

Re: A manual transmission should be classified as an 'anti-theft' device! (kostby)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Good 1/lol My 78 L82 is a 4spd.Hurst Competion Plus install,lot better than the org sloppy 1
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
tpollauf

Re: A manual transmission should be classified as an 'anti-theft' device! (kostby)

Post by tpollauf »

Nice ALL my personal vehicles have been manual trannys for the past 35 years And YES it is a nice feature when somebody wants to borrow your vehicle and you tell them it's a stick, which they don't know how to drive, then they go bug somebody else!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
06pvibe

Re: A manual transmission should be classified as an 'anti-theft' device! (tpollauf)

Post by 06pvibe »

Well, I don't know about most cars w/a std trans? I figure if they want the car bad enough they will take it anyway, perhaps destroy the tranny or clutch in the process, but what do they care?However, I too have owned nothing but std shift cars for the last 38yrs (3-sps, 4-sps & 5-sps) and have enjoyed having them. But this Vibe has such a weird feeling, short throw clutch and plasticy feel in the shift mechanism that I cringe just a bit when I have to drive it. I almost always stall it out at least once during a short trip. It should be considered an anti-theft device when a well seasoned stick driver has this much trouble driving it.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

45 year old guy and his 23 year old girlfriend..... Sooo many comments could follow that!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
jake75

Re: A manual transmission should be classified as an 'anti-theft' device! (star_deceiver)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »45 year old guy and his 23 year old girlfriend..... Sooo many comments could follow that!Leaving the workplace - might that have been the Platinum Fox?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Some years back my Nissan 300ZX was stolen. It was found three days later sitting in the middle of an intersection with the clutch gone.Insurance paid for the clutch, cigarette burns to interior, and some minor body damage.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
morbay

Post by morbay »

Never understood what is so hard about the manual transmission. I learned when I purchased my VW Beetle, and jumped in and drove it home. However I had some time to take it easy, I was not in the middle of a felony.
Rob Pettigrew2009 Ultra White 2.4 AWDPearl White Arrowhead overlaysPainted Calipers October 2010 MOTM
Gandalf

Re: A manual transmission should be classified as an 'anti-t

Post by Gandalf »

My 05 Vibe is my first car with an automatic transmission, ( 7 prior cars with MT) and I'm glad I bought an automatic.

I have to drive in rush hour traffic on the freeway, frequently, and I'm sure not getting any younger.

I still have a 5 speed '88 Toyota Celica, (that I bought new...) but I drive it fairly seldom, these days. I like sitting up higher in the Vibe. I like that is has ABS brakes, and air bags.

I read somewhere that only 5% of the cars sold in the USA have manual transmissions, and this was probably 3 or 4 years ago.

There are quite a few cars that get better mileage with an auto transmission, than the manual transmission, according to the EPA.
tpollauf

Re: A manual transmission should be classified as an 'anti-t

Post by tpollauf »

Gandalf wrote:
There are quite a few cars that get better mileage with an auto transmission, than the manual transmission, according to the EPA.
You are correct about the better mpgs with certain automatics. Cautious driving & smart shifting still make the manual more efficient than the auto when it comes to our Vibes. Even though the EPA has both auto & manual (at least with the bigger 2.4l engine) listed as the same mpg numbers BUT my manual clearly is a notch better than the auto. Primarily due to smart driving :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"