Fuel Filter vs Dealership

Ontario
Big_Red

Fuel Filter vs Dealership

Post by Big_Red »

So, here is my story...true and yes, it happened only 48 hrs ago.So, I was changing my oil the other day and I decided to take the overcharging cost by the dealership to get my fuel filter replaced. After all, my car is going to be hitting the magic 60K number and before the warranty expires, I want to get this car up to par if it is required. So, I call the dealership and ask them how much it will cost to change the fuel filter....the response and I **** you not....was as follows....""Well, we can't replace your fuel filter, sir, because that would require us to drop your fuel tank so that we can gain access to the fuel filter. Since none of our technicans have done it before, we are not providing this service at this time." Speechless....now I ask you all....has this happened to any of you?
2003 Pontiac VibeSalsaPower PackageSports PackageK&N Air Filter
Mavrik

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (Big_Red)

Post by Mavrik »

they are speaking the truth. The fuel filter on these Vibes are inside the tank with the sending unit and are not cheap by any means at all.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
AKLGT

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (Mavrik)

Post by AKLGT »

lol. i had to read that again. i was thinking the oil filter! duh! was like... (removed)! lol
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
wicked1981

Post by wicked1981 »

So let me get this straight.... They wont do it because no one has done it?? So when will they start? Arent they supposed to be able to do it all? If the cant do it who will? DUMB!
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
AKLGT

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (wicked1981)

Post by AKLGT »

ya exactly. where the heck are you supposed to get the fuel filter changed then?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (wicked1981)

Post by Mavrik »

well the idea behind this filter is that it is a maintanence (sp) free item... not on the recommended 25,000km schedule anymore.As for them not knowing how to change it and won't until they learn is stupid. Have we changed one here? Nope not at the dealership I work at yet and so yes, no one here would know how to do it either. Would we refuse to do it? No not really but it doesn't need to be changed, don't worry about it. However let me do some research tomorrow at work (am home now) and let me see what I can find out for you.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
RoundUp

Post by RoundUp »

I would actually prefer someone with proper training do it rather than have someone poke around and not know what they are doing. Still, the dealership should have recommended another place where you could have gone for the service.
Mavrik

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (RoundUp)

Post by Mavrik »

Dealerships usually don't reccommend anyone else to do work they can't do lol... but at least they told you up front they don't know what to do so as to not waste your time and money and maybe break something...but as I said earlier, I'll see if I can find out tomorrow at work the costs and proceedure to do this.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The fuel pump assebly that includes the fuel filter is accessible by removing the rear seat., there is no need to drop the fuel tank.Maybe it's time to find an alternative dealer for factory service the good news is that you probably don't need to replace it anyway
ebslopp

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (silverawd26)

Post by ebslopp »

Like Mavrik said...these fuel filters are maintainance free. It's not listed as regular maintanance in the manual. So unless it's clogged, don't worry about it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------2004 Base - TwoTone Neptune - 5 speed There are 10 types of people in life. There are those who understand binary and those who do not.
AKLGT

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (ebslopp)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by ebslopp »Like Mavrik said...these fuel filters are maintainance free. It's not listed as regular maintanance in the manual. So unless it's clogged, don't worry about it.yep. not something i'm too concerned with. these are parts that toyota has proven reliable time after time. besides, that's why i bought my vibe in the first place! striking sexy looks with a bad (removed) toyota engine!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Mavrik

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (joatmon)

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »The fuel pump assebly that includes the fuel filter is accessible by removing the rear seat., there is no need to drop the fuel tank.Maybe it's time to find an alternative dealer for factory service the good news is that you probably don't need to replace it anywayI have never taken out my rear seat to see that but good to know.
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Remove the two fasteners and swing the rear seat bottom cushion up and out of the way. Refer to Seat Cushion Replacement - Rear in Seats. Remove the sill plate from the left side door opening. Fold back the carpet in order to maintain metal-to-metal contact while servicing the fuel sender assembly. Remove the access panel for the fuel sender assembly from the rear seat floor. The panel is held in place by a butyl caulk seal. Disconnect the fuel sender electrical connector (1) from the fuel sender assembly. Disconnect the electrical connector of the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor (2) from the fuel sender assembly.Remove the retaining clip (1) from the fuel line fitting. Remove the fuel line (3) from the fuel sender assembly. Disconnect the fuel tank vapor line (2) from the fuel sender assembly.Remove the 8 bolts (1) retaining the hold down plate (2) for the fuel sender assembly. Remove the hold down plate (2). Clean the fuel pipe and the fuel sender assembly to prevent possible fuel contamination during removal. Remove the fuel sender assembly (4) from the fuel tank. Inspect and clean O-ring sealing surfaces on the fuel sender assembly .(Note: thats just to remove the fuel sender to get to the fuel filter)Remove the fuel sender assembly. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement . Remove the bottom cap (2) and the lower cushion (3) from the fuel sender assembly . Remove the fuel pressure regulator (1). Disconnect the fuel level sensor electrical connector. Remove the fuel level sensor (1).Remove the fuel sender top cap (1) from the fuel filter assembly. Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector. Remove the fuel pump (1) from the fuel filter assembly (2)Remove the retaining ring for the fuel strainer from the fuel pump. Install the fuel pump strainer (7) to the fuel pump (11). Use a new locking ring (10). Apply gasoline to fuel pump O-ring (12), and install to the fuel pump. Install the fuel pump (11) in to the fuel filter assembly (13). Apply gasoline to fuel pressure regulator O-ring (5), and install to the fuel pressure regulator (6). Install the fuel pressure regulator in to the fuel filter assembly. Connect the electrical connector (4) to the fuel pump . Ensure that connections are secure at the fuel pump and the top cap (2) of the sender assembly. Install the fuel sender assembly top cap (2) to the fuel filter assembly (13). The fuel sender assembly end caps snap into place. Install the fuel level sensor (3) to the fuel sender assembly. Connect the fuel level sensor electrical connector. Position lower cushion (8) on bottom of fuel pump and install lower cap (9) to fuel filter assembly.(Note: now that the filter has been changed, time to assemble and re-install the sender whoo hoo)Position the new fuel sender assembly O-ring (3) on the fuel sender assembly. Install the fuel sender assembly (4) into the fuel tank. Install the hold down plate (2) for the fuel sender assembly . NoticeUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.Secure the hold down plate for the fuel sender assembly with the 8 bolts (1). TightenTighten the bolts to 6 N·m (53 lb in).Install the fuel tank vapor line (2) to the fuel sender fitting. Install the fuel pipe (3) to the fuel sender fitting. Secure the fuel pipe (3) with the retaining clip (1). Connect the fuel sender electrical connector (1) to the fuel sender assembly. Connect the FTP sensor electrical connector (2) to the fuel sender assembly. Connect the negative battery cable. Pressurize the fuel system and check for leaks. Inspect the butyl caulk seal for the fuel sender access panel. Replace any missing butyl caulk as necessary. Install the access panel to the rear seat floor. Relocate the carpet under the seat and the left sill plate area. Install the sill plate to the left side door opening . Install the rear seat bottom cushion. Secure the seat cushion with the two fasteners. Refer to Seat Cushion Replacement - Rear in SeatsWhew well thats all folks.*EDIT* oh and the filter is listed at $66.90 from GM
MadBill

Post by MadBill »

[QUOTE=Big_Red] ....Since none of our technicans have done it before, we are not providing this service at this time." ...QUOTE]Kinda makes you wonder how their mechanics managed to drink their first glass of beer, or....?
Big_Red

Post by Big_Red »

Thanks for the research. Too bad I wasn't able to make the meet, sinc it would have been fun to disguss this issue with you in person. Maybe I will make the next trip to Kitchener...or if you like you can drive down to Mississauga for Wednesday.
2003 Pontiac VibeSalsaPower PackageSports PackageK&N Air Filter
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Weds nights are not good for me, but I'll be at the Kitchener meet this coming saturday. See ya there if you can make it.
damronjr

Post by damronjr »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »Remove the two fasteners and swing the rear seat bottom cushion up and out of the way. Refer to Seat Cushion Replacement - Rear in Seats. Remove the sill plate from the left side door opening. Fold back the carpet in order to maintain metal-to-metal contact while servicing the fuel sender assembly. Remove the access panel for the fuel sender assembly from the rear seat floor. The panel is held in place by a butyl caulk seal. Disconnect the fuel sender electrical connector (1) from the fuel sender assembly. Disconnect the electrical connector of the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor (2) from the fuel sender assembly.Remove the retaining clip (1) from the fuel line fitting. Remove the fuel line (3) from the fuel sender assembly. Disconnect the fuel tank vapor line (2) from the fuel sender assembly.Remove the 8 bolts (1) retaining the hold down plate (2) for the fuel sender assembly. Remove the hold down plate (2). Clean the fuel pipe and the fuel sender assembly to prevent possible fuel contamination during removal. Remove the fuel sender assembly (4) from the fuel tank. Inspect and clean O-ring sealing surfaces on the fuel sender assembly .(Note: thats just to remove the fuel sender to get to the fuel filter)Remove the fuel sender assembly. Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement . Remove the bottom cap (2) and the lower cushion (3) from the fuel sender assembly . Remove the fuel pressure regulator (1). Disconnect the fuel level sensor electrical connector. Remove the fuel level sensor (1).Remove the fuel sender top cap (1) from the fuel filter assembly. Disconnect the fuel pump electrical connector. Remove the fuel pump (1) from the fuel filter assembly (2)Remove the retaining ring for the fuel strainer from the fuel pump. Install the fuel pump strainer (7) to the fuel pump (11). Use a new locking ring (10). Apply gasoline to fuel pump O-ring (12), and install to the fuel pump. Install the fuel pump (11) in to the fuel filter assembly (13). Apply gasoline to fuel pressure regulator O-ring (5), and install to the fuel pressure regulator (6). Install the fuel pressure regulator in to the fuel filter assembly. Connect the electrical connector (4) to the fuel pump . Ensure that connections are secure at the fuel pump and the top cap (2) of the sender assembly. Install the fuel sender assembly top cap (2) to the fuel filter assembly (13). The fuel sender assembly end caps snap into place. Install the fuel level sensor (3) to the fuel sender assembly. Connect the fuel level sensor electrical connector. Position lower cushion (8) on bottom of fuel pump and install lower cap (9) to fuel filter assembly.(Note: now that the filter has been changed, time to assemble and re-install the sender whoo hoo)Position the new fuel sender assembly O-ring (3) on the fuel sender assembly. Install the fuel sender assembly (4) into the fuel tank. Install the hold down plate (2) for the fuel sender assembly . NoticeUse the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.Secure the hold down plate for the fuel sender assembly with the 8 bolts (1). TightenTighten the bolts to 6 N·m (53 lb in).Install the fuel tank vapor line (2) to the fuel sender fitting. Install the fuel pipe (3) to the fuel sender fitting. Secure the fuel pipe (3) with the retaining clip (1). Connect the fuel sender electrical connector (1) to the fuel sender assembly. Connect the FTP sensor electrical connector (2) to the fuel sender assembly. Connect the negative battery cable. Pressurize the fuel system and check for leaks. Inspect the butyl caulk seal for the fuel sender access panel. Replace any missing butyl caulk as necessary. Install the access panel to the rear seat floor. Relocate the carpet under the seat and the left sill plate area. Install the sill plate to the left side door opening . Install the rear seat bottom cushion. Secure the seat cushion with the two fasteners. Refer to Seat Cushion Replacement - Rear in SeatsWhew well thats all folks.*EDIT* oh and the filter is listed at $66.90 from GMWoo-hoo, found it! i LOVE THIS SITE!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
jake75

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (joatmon)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »The fuel pump assebly that includes the fuel filter is accessible by removing the rear seat., there is no need to drop the fuel tank.Makes sense. I was wondering why anyone would design a car that required such a major operation to replace a filter.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Mavrik

Re: Fuel Filter vs Dealership (jake75)

Post by Mavrik »

was wondering what resurrected this old thread lol. Glad to help over a year after I posted that