Price of a new key for 09 Vibe ...

Ontario
metaxa44

Price of a new key for 09 Vibe ...

Post by metaxa44 »

I had to get one new key for my Vibe and it cost me $145 with tax included in my local Chevy dealer ..
I could have done it from Kijiji for a $100 , but figured if there is a problem the dealer will be a safer bet...
Was $145 too much or reasonable price???
trb

Re: Price of a new key for 09 Vibe ...

Post by trb »

Well, since you are in Canada, and all 09-10 Canadian Vibes have the security chip keys, it is probably not too bad of a price considering it was a dealer. A new key with the remote fob electronics included for a non security chip car is in the $30-40 range since they do not need dealer programming. I had a regular blank metal key cut for my 2010 GT as an extra that only cost me $1 before I ordered another fob key.

You could have gone to a locksmith and bought a cloned key - a copy of your existing key, for probably under $100, maybe $80 or so.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
pepper2010

Post by pepper2010 »

metaxa44 wrote:I had to get one new key for my Vibe and it cost me $145 with tax included in my local Chevy dealer ..
I could have done it from Kijiji for a $100 , but figured if there is a problem the dealer will be a safer bet...
Was $145 too much or reasonable price???
I am in the same boat, metaxa44. Just bought a 2010 Vibe that only came with one key. The GM dealer quoted me a similar price to get a second key which I will do in the near future but rust-proofing comes first. My car came from Quebec so the owner's manual was in French. They did get me an English manual for free.
2004 White 1.8L Vibe
2010 Red 2.4L Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

pepper2010 wrote: but rust-proofing comes first. My car came from Quebec [/color]
Does this mean Krown or Rust-Chek? Definitely worth it BUT very messy initially. Keep us posted!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
pepper2010

Post by pepper2010 »

tpollauf wrote:
pepper2010 wrote: but rust-proofing comes first. My car came from Quebec [/color]
Does this mean Krown or Rust-Chek? Definitely worth it BUT very messy initially. Keep us posted!
Both types are available here. I don't know which yet (need to research it). I figured there is probably a thread about it here so I will read up. What I have read is that spring is supposedly the best time to rustproof, so I will aim for that and for sure post the experience.
2004 White 1.8L Vibe
2010 Red 2.4L Vibe
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Yeah rust proofing is a good thing ..
I use Krown , but I only do it for the first 4 years...
I got the key done , but the funny thing is on the phone they quoted me $80 for the key and $60 to program it and when I went to the dealer two weeks later they said $100 for programing..
I told them what was the original quot , than they said ok to $ 60..
I wonder how much the dealer makes on this jobs....
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

pepper2010 wrote:
Both types are available here. I don't know which yet (need to research it). I figured there is probably a thread about it here so I will read up. What I have read is that spring is supposedly the best time to rustproof, so I will aim for that and for sure post the experience.
Krown is not available down here in the states so I went with Rust-Chek and so far so good. It was applied to my new Silverado which are known to rust out pretty bad. The Vibe's apparently are treated much better than any other cars that I've seen. I agree with the four year treatment idea like Meatxa44 did. That will give you the rust protection and not take you to the bank as often! Keep us posted1
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
pepper2010

Post by pepper2010 »

All I've done so far is buy an extra door key from Canadian Tire. It won't start the car, as someone mentioned, but it will open the door if I lock the real key in the car.

I have been researching the rust proofing a bit, here's a synopsis:

From the Globe & Mail, a quick description: The rust protection most commonly recommended by experts is a drip oil spray, with Krown and Rust Check being the leading providers. As the name suggests, a slight annoyance is that the sprayed oil drips for about two days after application, potentially leaving stains in your garage, driveway or parking spot.

The key benefit of the drip oil spray is that it is watery enough to reach more parts of your car than the dripless oil spray. Holes still need to be drilled in specific spots on your car to ensure the substance gets applied to all areas and annual reapplication is again recommended. Krown charges about $120 to spray a car and $140 to spray a van or SUV. (article in Canadian dollars)

Millions of posts like these in multiple forums: My uncle is a mechanic and when he opened his shop 10+ years ago he researched the 2 products to decide which service he would perform. He said they are both basically the same so he just went with the one that got back to him the quickest lol. Although what I can tell you is that the newer rust check product is biofriendly/organicish. According to all his paperwork he has from the rust check rep is that your dog could eat the stuff and be fine. The point is that these products have been around for a long time and I'm sure that if one of them worked better significantly better than the other or if one didn't work at all it probably still wouldn't be around.

This is a very informative article (with pics!) for DIYers (not me): http://www.travelwithkevinandruth.com/2 ... r-car.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it'll be Krown (prob) or Rust Check ... will keep you posted.
2004 White 1.8L Vibe
2010 Red 2.4L Vibe
richz03

Post by richz03 »

I just bought a 2009 GT and it only had one key with keyless entry. I went to a local locksmith and got a plain, steel spare key for $4.
Rich