Tire pressure sensor...

Ontario
metaxa44

Tire pressure sensor...

Post by metaxa44 »

Hello Everyone,Not really sure about this tire pressure sensor...If I get a different rim it might not have a sensor????I am looking for rims but it might be a used one in good shape...Is that something I should install after???What happens if I have no sensor , just a light will be on all the time???What do most of you do??? Thanks..
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

I am a gm mechanic.The TPMs (or tire pressure sensors) are little sensors built into the valve stems on each rim except the spare. Now... if you have steel rims... what you can do is take them out of your steel rims and get them installed into your aftermarket wheels. And if you save you steel rims for say.. winter tires. just put regular rubber valve stems into them. In Vibes... they are individually programed into the cars computer with their each own specific code. So if you go buy new TPMs. they will have to be programed into the computer. And the ones in the rims now will be invalid. So if you take the ones out of your rims and put them into your aftermarket wheels. they will work for that. and if you put winter tires on your steel rims and drive on those for the month of winter.. you will have the dumby light on until you put the summer wheels back on and reset the light. This is what alot of people do when they have two sets of rims/wheels. Any more questions.. ask away.
Greg - Gekko
2003 Pontiac Vibe base 1zz-fe auto
Houston

Re: (Gekko)

Post by Houston »

Quote, originally posted by Gekko »So if you take the ones out of your rims and put them into your aftermarket wheels. they will work for that. and if you put winter tires on your steel rims and drive on those for the month of winter.. you will have the dumby light on until you put the summer wheels back on and reset the light. This is what alot of people do when they have two sets of rims/wheels.This is what I did. It's no problem ignoring that light during the winter. If the light being on bothers you, put black tape over it.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
star_deceiver

Re: Tire pressure sensor... (metaxa44)

Post by star_deceiver »

My steel rims have the sensors... the summer tires/rims have none. So I get the dummy light during the nicer months. It's pretty easy to ignore.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tpollauf

Re: Tire pressure sensor... (star_deceiver)

Post by tpollauf »

Question. How do you determine WHICH sensor is causing the dash light to come on? All four tires are 30 psi or more yet ONE of them is obviously malfunctioning. This just started over the weekend while driving on the freeway. We did recently have a slow leak repaired (leaking at the rim) so it is possible that when they repaired this something got bumped or jarred? Open for suggestions. Thanks
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
star_deceiver

Re: Tire pressure sensor... (tpollauf)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »How do you determine WHICH sensor is causing the dash light to come on? Get a new tire gauge. I have one that reads 5psi low... needless to say, it's not in the car. Inflate them to 35psi or more and reset the light! Many people forget to reset the light and don't drive far enough for it to reset on its own.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tpollauf

Re: Tire pressure sensor... (star_deceiver)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Get a new tire gauge. I have one that reads 5psi low... needless to say, it's not in the car. I wish it were that simple Test gauge is good. I have TWO of them and they are both within 1psi of each other. Plus when I checked tires on my wife's G8GT the numbers were dead on with what the car's computer displays (a nice feature on that car ... shows actual individual tire pressure on all four tires!) Also I did add some air to where ALL tires are 35 psi. I'm sticking with my original theory that maybe the shop "bumped" something when they repaired the slow leak last week. That's why I wish there was a way to determine which sensor/tire is setting the alarm off.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"