so how does the vibe handle ontario winters? without winter tires?

Ontario
92blacktt

so how does the vibe handle ontario winters? without winter tires?

Post by 92blacktt »

i just picked up a vibe to drive for the winter, wondering how it handles in our winters. Do I really need winter tires?I did pretty well with RWD cars in the winter with a nice set of winter tires, but when I first started driving, I was using FWD hondas in the winter with just all seasons and those cars did just fine without winters.
jkm311

Re: so how does the vibe handle ontario winters? without winter tires? (92blacktt)

Post by jkm311 »

Michigan isn't Ontario, but I swear by my Bridgestone Blizzaks. This will be my third winter with them, and I couldn't be happier. Night and day difference in bad conditions. Especially since I am comparing them to the first 2 winters when I was driving on the original from-the-factory Goodyear RS-As. Ugh. The weather pros are anticipating a baaad winter for Chicagoland and the rest of the Great Lakes. I will be ready.
Steelies to the rescue.
Zimm

Re: so how does the vibe handle ontario winters? without winter tires? (92blacktt)

Post by Zimm »

i too am just north and west of you, and had no problems on regular tires the past 2 years-and i have the horrible stock goodyear RSA's. i can only imagine how great life would be with even an average quality all season tire. fwiw, i do a fair amount of city driving, but commute several times a week to northern oakland county.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

vibes in the winter can be a bit to handle. I drive mine here in Ottawa. she is rev happy so it does not take much to break the drive wheels loose. to slip in the turns when not rolling on winter tires. I recommend Winters. They are a huge improvment over the A/S.
Greg - Gekko
2003 Pontiac Vibe base 1zz-fe auto
Beer Belly

Post by Beer Belly »

I frequently travel around north of Toronto, i'm from Tottenham (not far from Orangeville). My Vibe handled like s**t the first winter I had it. The wind had me all over the road. I bought winter tires the next winter and it's been a lot better since!!! These cars are very light.
92blacktt

Post by 92blacktt »

Sounds like I will need winter tires
chevelle_lover

Post by chevelle_lover »

Honestly, on the factory Goodyear it was terrible. My street is a side street and it does not get cleared very often. Got stuck a few times and got pissed off so I went to summer and winter tires and never looked back for this car. All of my other cars handled better in the snow but then again they were all either big heavy cars or trucks.
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
Beer Belly

Re: (92blacktt)

Post by Beer Belly »

I would say it's a good idea, even my old sunfire handled the snow better than the vibe on all seasons. I'm glad I invested in the winter tires.
clownshoes

Post by clownshoes »

I have an AWD vibe and it drives like an RWD. Same feeling, but then again I had garbage tires on the rear. Full snows this year. I'll keep you updated.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
metaxa44

Re: (clownshoes)

Post by metaxa44 »

Mine is fine in the snow...I travel from Markham to Northyork everyday...
bull77

Post by bull77 »

if you mainly drive in the GTA, keep the all seasons. Once you travel outside on the 400 series or further, I'd look at a set of winters.
snowvibe

Re: (clownshoes)

Post by snowvibe »

I agree with Clownshoes. We bought our AWD Vibe last year and used all seasons on it and would literally fishtail in the turns. Bought some snows this year and will post the results after the first major snowfall also.