Air filter

Ontario
metaxa44

Air filter

Post by metaxa44 »

Hi Everyone,Did anybody tried or use K&N air filter ????And if yes how good is it???
kanata_matrix

Re: Air filter (metaxa44)

Post by kanata_matrix »

Yes it is good better though is sri or cai
j42.snyder

Re: Air filter (metaxa44)

Post by j42.snyder »

It depends on your definition of "good". If less restricted airflow is "good", then yes. Unfortunately, that lowering in restriction has also been known to allow more fine particles of dirt through than a paper filter - which defeats much of its purpose.It may be able to improve absolute top-end power, but that's questionable - and probably only measurable on a dyno. I used one for a while on my previous car (a Sunfire) - and although I thought I felt a difference at first - I suspect that the paper filter was in need of a change anyway. Once I had researched more and found out how much dirt may be getting through, I replaced it with a new AC Delco filter - and felt NO difference going back to paper.I would also be hesitant to use an oiled filter on an application that has a MAF sensor such as our Vibes. Although it shouldn't be over-oiled when new, if you clean it and re-oil it, it's a bit difficult to determine exactly how much should be on there.Personally - from now on I'll stick with good quality paper filters. If I was off-road racing where it may get wet, then I may consider something like a K&N again - but not for street use.That's my personal opinion anyway.P.S. - tests have shown that even a restricted air filter won't have much if any measurable effect on fuel economy either - so don't expect it to start saving you money at the pump. I can vouch for that with past experience on the Sunfire too. I tracked every tank from new to when I sold it (243,000km) - and it made NO difference. The fuel filter is a different story though...John
star_deceiver

Re: Air filter (j42.snyder)

Post by star_deceiver »

Iff you want less restriction, rip out the old box and put in a bigger air filter housing with some less restrictive intake lines.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)