Questions from a potential vibe owner!

Ontario
mart4600

Questions from a potential vibe owner!

Post by mart4600 »

Hello, What a great forum this is! It is nice to see some Canadian content on the Web!I am looking at buying a new vibe and I have a few questions that I would love to ask some current owners!1. I think that I will get the power pkg and the 'sport pkg' (since I have to have a sunroof) on the Base model - are there any other options I should consider?2. What % should I expect to bargain off the sicker price?3. Those of you who have a Base model with a 5 speed - do you wish that you had the extra power of the GT? I will be doing a lot of 2 lane hwy driving and do not want to be unable to pass (it seems like all you vibe drivers want to go fast...a good thing!)4. Will I need snow tires for winter driving? I have noticed that models with steel wheels come with Goodyear's and Models with 16' Alloy's come with Continental’s - any comments on which tires are better - I know that the alloys sure look good!Any thing else I should know? If you can give me any comments on your owning experience I would really appreciate it...I am hoping to buy in the next week or two!
Frosty

Re: Questions from a potential vibe owner! (mart4600)

Post by Frosty »

Salsa! covered it all but to add my $.02... If I were doing it over I would get the factory security system, if you think you want one it is way simpler to get the Vibe one preinstalled. I'll 2nd the snow tire recommendation. I got the factory steel wheels and put snow tires on those, then ordered unique 16" wheels. Saved about $400 as I got a really good deal. I ordered my car April 22, 2002 (yes a year ago today) and received it Sept 21, 2002. So if you order a Vibe, I hope you are more patient than I was
Frosty 5 speed Vibe Power & Safety Packages. Naturally Aspirated my gallery
mart4600

Re: (more) Questions from a potential vibe owner! (mart4600)

Post by mart4600 »

Thanks for the input so far! I went for a test drive this afternoon and really enjoyed it - unfortuately they only had automatics.One more question thoug - how good are the headlights for night driving - I will be doing a lot of night driving in 'cottage country', and do not want to have the experiance of poor lights like on my last car...Thanks again!!Charlie
MrRich

Re: (more) Questions from a potential vibe owner! (mart4600)

Post by MrRich »

I agree with Salsa too,exept the ABS.I had ABS on my last two cars,I tought I am going to miss it,but not at all.About the headlights.They are pretty good,just the lowbeam too low.But it can be fixed pretty easy!So,good luck!
GenVibe Patriarch
Big_Red

Post by Big_Red »

1. quote:Hello, What a great forum this is! It is nice to see some Canadian content on the Web!I am looking at buying a new vibe and I have a few questions that I would love to ask some current owners!1. I think that I will get the power pkg and the 'sport pkg' (since I have to have a sunroof) on the Base model - are there any other options I should consider?2. What % should I expect to bargain off the sicker price?3. Those of you who have a Base model with a 5 speed - do you wish that you had the extra power of the GT? I will be doing a lot of 2 lane hwy driving and do not want to be unable to pass (it seems like all you vibe drivers want to go fast...a good thing!)4. Will I need snow tires for winter driving? I have noticed that models with steel wheels come with Goodyear's and Models with 16' Alloy's come with Continental’s - any comments on which tires are better - I know that the alloys sure look good!Any thing else I should know? If you can give me any comments on your owning experience I would really appreciate it...I am hoping to buy in the next week or two!Welcome to the site.The answers to your questions (to the best of my ability):1. Power Package is a must. The sports package is good only if you are getting the monotone package (otherwise it may not look right with the spoiler). You should also consider the tune package (after all, music will keep you awake on long drives).2. Around $27-30K, not including the deductions from GM Points, etc....and your superior bargaining skills.3.I have a base automatic...and if I can beat a Civic, I think it is fine for the highway (depending on what you are used to). Plus, with a GT it is recommended that you use high octance gas....while the base is regular. Depending on your income you may want to consider long term cost of gas.4. You will require snow tires if you buy the GT, but again, you will have to judge based on the snowfall in your area.The Vibe is a great car (no problems on my end at least). I recommended it to my friends and my Dad who just bought an Accord in 2001.
2003 Pontiac VibeSalsaPower PackageSports PackageK&N Air Filter
camthecanuck

Post by camthecanuck »

If you go to the GM Canada site you can see what dealers have what cars in stock (to a point). Postings are sometimes behind. You will need to know either dealer names or better yet, postal codes for various areas you would visit to get a car. I know that the dealer in Stratford Ontario currently has 6 Vibes on his lot ( Stratford Motor Products). I bought my car 100s of miles from home as my dealer couldn't promise me anything unless ordered. I consistently got the "no discount" stance. Look for good GM financing. I would get a Base Vibe myself with the Power and Safety and Security packages and a stick shift (exactly what I got). My only disappointment with the Vibe so far is that they don't have a nicer interior available. I would have liked leather. All in all, a wonderful car, probably because it is really a Toyota under the Pontiac skin. GM Canada has been nothing but a pain in the behind as you will discover if you read up on other forums here. They sure know how to overcharge when it comes to servicing too.. Best of luck and do let us know what you decide. By the way, you might want to scan in the off chance that you might find a low mileage used Vibe (or Matrix).
Camthecanuck from the wilds of Northern Ontario, Canada. Proud and happy owner of a Shadow grey Vibe base model with alloys, power and safety and security packages with standard transmission.
mart4600

Post by mart4600 »

Well I did it today. I purchased a '03 Neptune Vibe with Power and Sport Packages with graphite interior. I was surprised but the dealer was willing to dicker. It is a stock trade with another dealer so I will have to make it until Tuesday before I can pick it up - but I guess that is not to bad considering some of you waited 4-6 mos.I guess I will have to start reading about what accessories I can get now!!!!
MadBill

Post by MadBill »

Great work, mart! (and congratulations on doubling the Peterpatch representation on the site)