Question about Satelitte Radio Tuners in Canada

Ontario
shane_c

Question about Satelitte Radio Tuners in Canada

Post by shane_c »

Does anyone know if the SIR-GM1 Tuner will work for Canadian Sirius radio? It looks like it connects to the factory GM radio so that you can use it for Sirius and control it from the factory HU. If they do work with Sirius Canada any ideas where in Canada I can buy one of these?
2006 Vibe (base) - Platinum Silver, 5 spd, ABS, Power Package, Infinity Speakers, Dynomax muffler, Cosmo SR intake - SOLD
BLAQJAQ

Re: Question about Satelitte Radio Tuners in Canada (shane_c)

Post by BLAQJAQ »

I have a Sirius tuner..but I bought it over her..have a custom install
- VORTECH SUPERCHARGER- GREDDY E-MANAGE BLUE- MSD IGNITION MAP SENSOR- RSM RACING CUSTOM FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE - RSM RACING CUSTOM CAT BACK EXHAUST - RSM RACING CUSTOM BIG BRAKE KIT- B&G LOWERING SPRINGS - ENKEI 18" RSV GUN METAL ROLLERS MACHINED LIP - SIRIUS SATTELLITE RADIO- ALPINE IVA-W200 2-DIN DVD/CD/AV Head Unit - ALPINE REAR FLIP DOWN MONITOR
shane_c

Re: Question about Satelitte Radio Tuners in Canada (BLAQJAQ)

Post by shane_c »

So you have a Sirius tuner running through the factory head unit? Where did you buy it? How much?
2006 Vibe (base) - Platinum Silver, 5 spd, ABS, Power Package, Infinity Speakers, Dynomax muffler, Cosmo SR intake - SOLD
BLAQJAQ

Post by BLAQJAQ »

I have the tuner running through an Alpine head unit
- VORTECH SUPERCHARGER- GREDDY E-MANAGE BLUE- MSD IGNITION MAP SENSOR- RSM RACING CUSTOM FRONT STRUT TOWER BRACE - RSM RACING CUSTOM CAT BACK EXHAUST - RSM RACING CUSTOM BIG BRAKE KIT- B&G LOWERING SPRINGS - ENKEI 18" RSV GUN METAL ROLLERS MACHINED LIP - SIRIUS SATTELLITE RADIO- ALPINE IVA-W200 2-DIN DVD/CD/AV Head Unit - ALPINE REAR FLIP DOWN MONITOR
shane_c

Re: (BLAQJAQ)

Post by shane_c »

Oh okay. I was looking at the one that let's you use the factory HU so I wouldn't have to buy an aftermarket HU too.
shane_c

Re: (shane_c)

Post by shane_c »

Response to the email I sent Sirius.....At this time the SIR-GM1 is only available for purchase in the US, and no Canadian release date has been communicated to us.You certainly can activate the American version of this tuner in Canada!However, there is one problem that you may notice, and that is most American receivers will not pick up 5 of the 10 exclusive Canadian channels.Plug & Play units like the Sportster 4, Sirius S50 and other newer receivers are equipped with the Generation 3 Chipset. This will sometimes enable them to access higher channels giving them all of the Canadian programming but because these receivers are made for American use, we cannot gaurantee the availability of these Canadian channels.To ensure you receive the other 5 exclusive Canadian channels, we recommend you purchase a Canadian made Plug & Play unit.
shane_c

Re: Question about Satelitte Radio Tuners in Canada (shane_c)

Post by shane_c »

As for the 5/10 exclusive channels, here's what they say (they reply almost instantly to emails!!!!)....Due to the difference in the electronic components, these are the channels that might not be able to activate with your tuner:Hardcore Sports Radio // Ch. 186Radio Canada International (RCI) Plus // Ch. 188Canadian Weather Network // Ch. 185Infoplus // Ch. 187Rock Velours // Ch. 192Energie2 // Ch. 193
vibe-04

Post by vibe-04 »

So GM says you can activate the U.S version in Canada???I'd doubt it cause it is a CRTC rule to have Canadian only versions operate to get the Canadian content channels. (CRTC sucks).Also, how would you pay the monthly subscription with a Canadian credit card? Double, triple check this before you invest any money.
shane_c

Re: (vibe-04)

Post by shane_c »

No, you buy the SIR-GM1 Tuner from the US since it's currently not available in Canada. Hook it up to your factory stereo and contact Sirius Canada to subscribe. It's just that with the tuner and it's particular chipset that you may not be able to get 5/10 of the exclusive channels, which to be honest don't interest me anyway.
shane_c

Re: (shane_c)

Post by shane_c »

And it was Sirius Canada that I contacted. Not GM.
vibe-04

Post by vibe-04 »

OK, I've heard about people with U.S. tuners that had to use a U.S. credit card and address in order to open the receiver. The CRTC can be a pain when it comes to Canadian content (the 5/10 exclusive channels). Those channels suck so you are not missing anything. And what the heck CRTC, you can get CBC on your FM anyway?????? I had Sirius receiver with a direct line in to my HU but my receiver was a piece of crap and the sound quality was equal to AM. I also found the content average, not what I expected. That said, I have friends that have Sirius and like it a lot. So to each is own.I decided to go with an ipod and download podcasts for my commute. This way I control the content and the quality.Quote »And it was Sirius Canada that I contacted. Not GM. That would explain the quick email response CheersA\
BLAQJAQ

Post by BLAQJAQ »

not sure how old that article is but I got my Sirius u nit from best buy..we pay I think its about 30 beans a moth for service....never used us address or credit card...I love it...I get good clean reception...sorry for those with problems...