Pontiac Vibe / Matrix Oil Filter resource in GTA?

Ontario
the1stacekiller

Pontiac Vibe / Matrix Oil Filter resource in GTA?

Post by the1stacekiller »

I'm tired of paying $16 for a filter from a GM dealer.. occasionally its on sale for $11.. but still this is too much if the same filter AC Delco PF1233 is $2.99 @ local Advance Auto Parts in the States.Does anyone here do there own oil changes and if so where do you get your Oil Filter? (non Fram crap / Crappy Tire) Maybe an AC Delco dealer?Here is the info that I have:GM Dealer AC Delco PF1233 $11-16Crappy Tire V Valvoline Maxlife VF4967 $5.99Toyota Dealer YZZF1 and YZZF2 $6.99
- 2004 Pontiac Vibe Base 2 Tone Grey Goodness -
Altus

Re: Pontiac Vibe / Matrix Oil Filter resource in GTA? (the1stacekiller)

Post by Altus »

Use the Toyota (Denso) filter - best bang for your buck by a long shot.Anything sold at Crappy Tire (house brand/Fram/Valvoline) are all Champion Labs crap (aka Fram). You don't want 'em.The other options for a good filter would be the Purolator Pure1 or the Napa Gold filters - more expensive, but excellent filters.Go for the Toyota - excellent filter for a good price.
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

i don't know...i've been using canadian tire brand on the 3 cars i've owned in my life with no problems at all....what exactly are you expecting from a filter other than to filter oil? if you do your oil changes when required there shouldn't be an issue. it's not like these engines are top fuel drag spec...it's a freakin' corolla!
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
the1stacekiller

Re: (Atomb)

I agree with you to a degree.. but I personally would NEVER EVER use a Filter with the same quality of a Can filled with toilet paper on a $30,000 car.. actually I wouldn't even use a FRAM an a $10 car... maybe MAYBE on a FREE car..Sorry you get what you pay for.
Atomb

Post by Atomb »

ok...$30,000 car?!?!? what kind of vibe are you driving??i agree on the 'you get what you pay for' comment...to a degree. it's why i don't own a 45 dollar toothbrush...the 2.99 does the same job."there's a time and a place..." is another good saying!
I have signatures turned off so I'm not even sure what mine says in this space!
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

The AC Delco filter you buy from your dealer (not from Wallyworld or an automotive place) is a REBADGED & REPACKAGED Toyota OEM F2 filter (made by Denso, but not the same as the Denso filters you buy elsewhere). The extra ~$10 you are spending on the Pontiac dealer's filter is for a new paintjob and a different box; inside, they are EXACTLY the same.So...GM/Pontiac dealer filter for the 1ZZFE engine = $16Toyota filter for the 1ZZFE engine = $6If that's still to rich for one's blood...Purolator Premium Plus L14476 (best cheap filter out there) = $3Advanced Auto TotalGrip 4386 = $1.34If you want to do extended OCI's when you're out of warranty...Purolator Pure One = $6If you want more oil flow/great oil filtration after warranty...Toyota F1 = $6Premium Plus L14477= $3Pure One PL14477 = $6BTW: The best places to get info on oil filters is BITOG & ToyotaNation. You can find tests, pictures, flow rates, burst rates, cross-application part numbers, testimonials, yada, yada, yada...
the1stacekiller

Re: Pontiac Vibe / Matrix Oil Filter resource in GTA? (Cougar Vibe)

Well lets see Pontiac Vibe MSRP $23,000 Auto, Power Options+ Tax = $26,450+ Insurance = $2000 - $3000= $29450not $30,000 but almost... You get the idea..but yah I wouldn't buy a $8 toothbrush .. and I would buy the $1 toothbrush but on a car that expensive I would not go cheap on a vital piece of its maintenance.. But thats just me
the1stacekiller

Do you know if the Purolator Filters are available at the Autoparts counter at Walmart??
the1stacekiller

Well I went to Walmart .. all they have is Fram.. and the parts counter they have some Wix Filters for Matrix / Vibe but were out of stock.. only substitute was another Fram filter...Wix Walmart Parts Counter $8 - $10 (have to order)
Altus

Post by Altus »

Actually Wix filters are usually rated very highly as well - they are NOT made by Champion Labs. Still - I still say the $6 Denso's are the best combination of filtration, flow, and price.
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
48-remi

Re: Pontiac Vibe / Matrix Oil Filter resource in GTA? (Altus)

Post by 48-remi »

The Kralinator filter used by Mr Lube is a good filter. My brother opened one up and it has steel caps at the ends.I checked a 2000 Nissan Maxima oil filter, seems to be same size of treads but longer body. I may give it a try...RémiBase Neptune
fredfreedom

Post by fredfreedom »

Quote, originally posted by Cougar Vibe »The AC Delco filter you buy from your dealer (not from Wallyworld or an automotive place) is a REBADGED & REPACKAGED Toyota OEM F2 filter (made by Denso, but not the same as the Denso filters you buy elsewhere). The extra ~$10 you are spending on the Pontiac dealer's filter is for a new paintjob and a different box; inside, they are EXACTLY the same.So...GM/Pontiac dealer filter for the 1ZZFE engine = $16Toyota filter for the 1ZZFE engine = $6If that's still to rich for one's blood...The last time I went to my Pontiac dealer to do my oil change on my Vibe, they put a TOYOTA oil filter instead of an AC DELCO one. When I opened the hood, I just laught!!!At my dealer, they sell those filters for 11$.BTW, I called some Toyota dealer in my place and some sells me a box of 10 oil filters for 5,99$ each instead of 6,99$. I actually own a Vibe and a Toyota Echo, and both use the same oil filters.
2007 Moonstone VIBE FWD Special Edition with XM Satellite Radio, Stainless exhaust tip, 7 speakers, power group, 16 inch mags, Monotone, A/T, Slate interior, 50/80% Llumar platinium tinted windows, Sherlock Antitheft Marking, Barry Danne Grease Rust-Proofing, K&N air filter, MiVibe-ToolGuy fog lights protector, DIY 3M Filtrete cabin air filter, Toyota rear bumper protector, more to come...TOTALLED 2007-07-17 R.I.P. 2005 Moonstone VIBE FWD
Cougar Vibe

Re: Pontiac Vibe / Matrix Oil Filter resource in GTA? (fredfreedom)

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Just a suggestion, but if they charge you the same price and both your Echo and Vibe are out of warranty, I'd get the larger A1/F1 OEM filters by the case. They've got ~20% more filtration media for the same price! Toyo dealers often sell cases on Ebay for fairly cheap (about $4 a filter including shipping), but I notice that they usually won't ship to Canada. Sort of sucks...BTW: Even though I'm under warranty, I'm running those larger filters anyway. I got sick of the extra ~.25/qt of oil left ofter after every oil change; the A1/F1 makes your Vibe an exact 4 quart oil change.
the1stacekiller

to get the A1/F1 filters do I just ask for that? or is it a special car model/# ?Does any body buy them in the GTA in bulk?
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Toyota has two filters for all their 4cyl. engines; as they relate to Vibes, Matrixes, & Corollas:90915-YZZF1 (for the 2ZZFE engine)90915-YZZF2 (for the 1ZZFE engine) The F1 is the larger filter of the two; it is "backwards" compatable to the regular engine in our Vibes, since it provides more filtration and oil. Naturally, the smaller F2 is not compatable with the higher performance 2ZZFE engine, which spec's the greater filtration and oil capacity.I've also run the before mentioned Pure One and Premium Plus filters on Corollas with the 1ZZFE engine; the numbering system is as such:90915-YZZF1 = Premium Plus L14477 & Pure One PL 1447790915-YZZF2 = Premium Plus L14476 & Pure One PL 14476One last thing: The "A1/A2" numbers I've mentioned in other threads are for the old-design Toyota OEM filters. These filters are a little different than the new versions ("F1/F2"), but are still fine filters and are still in stock at some dealers.
the1stacekiller

Re: (Cougar Vibe)

Where are my manners..Thanks for your help! I will try Toyota this week and try to score a case! I convinced one of my co-workers to get a Vibe and he loves it.. I'm wondering if 2003 Vibe Oil Filters (F1) are also compatible with 2004 Pontiac Vibes .. if so we both will be doing F1 oil changes this year