Need help! Wrote off my Vibe today

Ontario
Rocketfella

Need help! Wrote off my Vibe today

Post by Rocketfella »

Bad news guys, I got into a serious accident today and there is a good chance my Vibe might be a write-off. Can you guys give me some advice on how to handle the insurance claim and my damaged car, which is currently at the pound. I want to get a fair settlement from this and do not want to fall victim to ignorance of the system.
03VibeGT6Spd

Post by 03VibeGT6Spd »

Don't except anything less then it's true value Including anything you have put on it.If you see the same car at a lot you should get what it cost plus taxes.If you have to, threaten them with filing a complaint with your (state insurance commisioner)!Don't cash any checks they give you that your not happy with.After that you had better find a new insurance company because your rates will skyrocket, if you have to push them hard.Insurance is suppose to get you back to where you were before the accident!If all fails find an attorney.
Mathias

Re: Need help! Wrote off my Vibe today (Rocketfella)

Post by Mathias »

Go to edmunds.com; go to the forums, go to the Smart Shopper board. There is at least one thread dealing with "Auto Insurance and Accidents" or some such title.Read the whole thing; lots of good information by people in the car as well as the insurance business.Including an account by yours truly on how I "totalled" a car myself that the insurance company wanted to repair. Many times it's cheaper for them to do that than to effect a repair -- which might leave the car worth less than the repair costs.Any vehicle with frame damage is worth 50-70 % of what it would be worth without the accident.Good luck,-Mathias
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Hope your ok. Who's fault? An attorney might not be a bad idea, but not to start with.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

One small piece of advice to everyone (except it is too late for Rocketfella), if your car must be towed and you have a place at home for it, HAVE THEM TOW IT TO YOUR HOUSE! This puts you in control of storage fees, aftermarket equipment you may want to remove, wheels/tires, better chance of talking to bodyshop estimators and finding out exactly what will be needed, etc. etc. Don't forget that you own the "black box", not your insurance company. Which ever body shop gets the work will usually tow it for free. If it is totaled you can remove what you want to sell yourself then have it scrapped. I use to drive a tow truck and work at a salvage yard, it doesn't take very long for fees to be more than the car is worth.One other thing that can't be said enough...do not talk about the details of the wreck with anyone, give the police the barebones info. I have seen police give citations (determine who is at fault) just from people BSing with each other around the wreck.Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your situation Rocketfella.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
Rocketfella

Re: Need help! Wrote off my Vibe today (JohnC)

Post by Rocketfella »

Thanks for all your helpful comments guys, especially JohnC. Your advice is very helpful I also posted a copy of your advice at the GTAMotorcycle.com forum. If all interested please check it out.