09 Cargo Cover/Shade: Does it fold?

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
kumquat

09 Cargo Cover/Shade: Does it fold?

Post by kumquat »

I'm thinking about picking up the cargo security shade for my 09, part #19171208. It looks like it folds into quarters so you can take it out and easily stow it. Is that the case?
kowell

Re: 09 Cargo Cover/Shade: Does it fold?

Post by kowell »

The cover folds on itself like those windshield sun cover people use when the car is parked.
The cover folds into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.

On a personal note, I have never used mine because you stow it under the trunk floor and when you need it, the trunk is usually full so you need to empty the trunk, get the cover, refill the trunk and then put the cover in place. The cover looks like it was designed as an afterthought.

Can't believe GM Canada had the audacity to charge 100$ for this thing...
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

OK, thanks. It is a little spendy but I plan to leave it up all the time until I need to take it down and store it. I just wanted to make sure it's possible to fold up and store or remove easily.
trb

Post by trb »

I leave mine attached all the time, unless I need to fold down the seats and carry something big, since I have to stash my laptop bag in the back. I can't leave it out visible, so the cargo cover was a must. Luckily I got mine for about $65 on ebay.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

The cargo cover is fabric with a few fiberglass reinforcement rods. It does not fold, it rolls up and takes virtually no space. Mine normally stays hooked on one side and is pulled across as needed. Up till 2008 they folded. 2009-2010 they are fabric and roll up.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
trb

Post by trb »

beemerphile1 wrote:The cargo cover is fabric with a few fiberglass reinforcement rods. It does not fold, it rolls up and takes virtually no space. Mine normally stays hooked on one side and is pulled across as needed. Up till 2008 they folded. 2009-2010 they are fabric and roll up.
There are two styles for the 09-10 models. The one I got has the rods along the outer edge and folds up on itself like the spring out sun shades. The other style is kind of like the older style but it rolls up like you said.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trb wrote:There are two styles for the 09-10 models. The one I got has the rods along the outer edge and folds up on itself like the spring out sun shades. The other style is kind of like the older style but it rolls up like you said.
Yes, they are indeed two different styles of cargo shades for 2009-2010 Vibes. #19171208 is a black fabric shade that rolls up and has a velcro strap that goes around it to secure it for storage. We have this one in both our Vibes. It seems this shade was intended as more of an "accessory" from GM. This one is $84.55 shipped on GMPartsCenter.net. There are also currently a few listed on eBay. Below is a picture of it installed.

The second available shade is the same color as the cargo area plastic and folds up into a circle and than goes into its own bag for storage. The part number for this one is: #19183824. In addition to attaching to the upper cargo area hooks, it also attaches to the center rear seat headrest poles. This is the shade that many Vibe owners received with their Vibes when they were purchased new. It seems this one was intended as more of a "standard item" from GM. This one is $150.37 shipped on GMPartsCenter.net. I searched on here for a picture to no avail.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Awesome, thanks!
trb

Post by trb »

Now that I have daylight, here are some pics of the fold up kind in my car.

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

trb wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:The cargo cover is fabric with a few fiberglass reinforcement rods. It does not fold, it rolls up and takes virtually no space. Mine normally stays hooked on one side and is pulled across as needed. Up till 2008 they folded. 2009-2010 they are fabric and roll up.
There are two styles for the 09-10 models. The one I got has the rods along the outer edge and folds up on itself like the spring out sun shades. The other style is kind of like the older style but it rolls up like you said.
I don't have any experience with the one you have but the part number the OP listed is fabric and it rolls.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

kumquat wrote:I'm thinking about picking up the cargo security shade for my 09, part #19171208. It looks like it folds into quarters so you can take it out and easily stow it. Is that the case?
Got it today. It is indeed the black roll-up fabric. Hard to tell from the pics, but it's a slightly stretchy fabric that has 4 plastic ribs. Rolls up with a velcro closure. I'm pleased with it, though I am considering making a custom one out of fiberboard that attaches to the liftgate in the front so it raises when you open the hatch.
ScottCalder

Post by ScottCalder »

Where can I get the cargo cover/shade? I'm in Canada and would like to order one. I've been searching the net and GM dealers and nothing comes up.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

Search for this thread "Cargo Cover for 2010 Vibe" and look at the 1st and 3rd post.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Prime Si

Post by Prime Si »

I recently ordered the roll up shade, and for some reason i can't get it to stay on -- I hook the 2 plastic pieces on one side, and when i stretch it to hook the last one on the other side, it stretches too much and the first 2 pop out! Anyone else have this happen? It would be funny if it weren't so frustrating! What am I doing wrong?
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Prime Si wrote:I recently ordered the roll up shade, and for some reason i can't get it to stay on -- I hook the 2 plastic pieces on one side, and when i stretch it to hook the last one on the other side, it stretches too much and the first 2 pop out! Anyone else have this happen? It would be funny if it weren't so frustrating! What am I doing wrong?
Are you pushing the loop down until it snaps in the hook/clip? Mine stays in place well. Maybe you were sent the wrong item.
Prime Si

Post by Prime Si »

The loops don't seem to be snapping into the hooks. Any chance someone could post a pic of the loop snapped in place?

As a side note, this is a surprise present for my wife- she's traveling this week so while she's gone I've done a full detail, new head unit, new floor mats and the cargo cover is the last piece! Hoping to have it all wrapped up before she returns!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Prime Si wrote:The loops don't seem to be snapping into the hooks. Any chance someone could post a pic of the loop snapped in place?
I know it's been over a week since you posted this, but here's a close-up picture of the hooks on the cargo shade snapped onto the hooks in the cargo area...

beemerphile1 wrote:Are you pushing the loop down until it snaps in the hook/clip? Mine stays in place well. Maybe you were sent the wrong item.
I agree. We have the black rear cargo shade (GM #19171208) on both our 2009 Vibe GTs and don't have any issues with the hooks on the shades staying in place on the hooks in the cargo area.
Prime Si

Post by Prime Si »

Thanks for the picture. Mine looks very similar. Frustrating.
Not sure if the shade just needs to stretch out or what but it's not sticking in there. Maybe something is wrong with the hooks on the car?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Prime Si wrote:Thanks for the picture. Mine looks very similar. Frustrating.
Not sure if the shade just needs to stretch out or what but it's not sticking in there. Maybe something is wrong with the hooks on the car?
You're welcome ;)!

Hmmm... are you pushing the hooks on the shade down onto the hooks on the interior panels? I find you have to use a bit of force to push them [the hooks on the shade] down onto the hooks [on the interior panels], but it shouldn't take too much force. I installed ours as soon as we received them and they have stayed put just fine over the past few years we've had them. The only time they come unhooked is sometimes when you're driving with all the windows and the sunroof open and even then, it's typically only one side that pops off the hooks.