After an extensive search!

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
Icemanxxxv

After an extensive search!

Post by Icemanxxxv »

Let me introduce myself. I'm 47 years old and just bought a used 2010 Vibe GT yesterday at the dealership were my wife works. I need a luggage rack! I have an Ocean Kayak 13t that I need to transport. According to the owners manual the factory luggage rack can support 165 pounds well within the weight of my kayak. Problem is I don't have a rack! I've been looking at Yakima and Thule systems and honestly they look like crap and are expensive to boot!That being said I went to GM Parts Direct and did a part number search and verified through their customer service that the parts from an 09 are not applicable to the 10 per their data base?Being that my wife works at a Chevy dealership I'm able to get parts at 10% over dealer cost. The rack in their parts catalog if bought piece by piece is just a shade over 300 bucks. About 80 bucks cheaper than what I can get a aftermarket one before shipping. Can anyone give me any feedback on the 09 to 10 rack? Does anyone have a rack from a 10 they want top sell? I have the cover plates and clips they have. I need one from a car with out a sunroof, so the bars are perpendicular not parallel with the roof. Thanks for reading my postSteven
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I can't believe that an '09 won't interchange with a '10.I thought someone here made their own rack - I thought it was pretty impressively done and way cheap.Not sure if still available but this was for sale just days ago here:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=43761
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

i used to have a 13' ocean kayak; the prowler 13 angler! loved that thing...had to sell it when i moved into my condo. had a 13' wilderness systems "the ride 135" as well. now im getting all misty...if for some reason you need to go aftermarket, go Thule. i had many a bad experience and one horrible experience with Yakima. let's just say the 18-wheeler won the battle.
http://
kostby

Re: After an extensive search! (Icemanxxxv)

Post by kostby »

Welcome to GenVibe!I also cannot see any reason why an '09 Vibe rack would not fit a '10 Vibe.The significant change would be 03-08 vs 09-10.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I don't know why the rack from an '09 wouldn't fit on the '10. I haven't had experience with the factory rack, but I do know that if you go with an aftermarket rack you won't be disappointed. I've been using Yakima and Thule for years and never had a problem with them.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
frankiemenz

Re: After an extensive search! (Icemanxxxv)

Post by frankiemenz »

If you look in the for sale section there is a roof rack for sale for $150.00, it fits '09-'10 Vibes. I know for sure it fits '10s because I put one on my '10 Vibe and it's perfect. That is a really good price too, my friend bought me the one I have for over $300 bucks, the same exact one as is for sale on here!!!---Frankps: jetblack09vibegt is the seller, you might wanna hurry it's on ebay and he well give genvibers free shipping
Icemanxxxv

Post by Icemanxxxv »

Yeah I popped it on Ebay! He put it there before I knew about it! It's on my wat to my house as we speak. Hopefully anyway I will be putting it on when I get home from Dallas Friday!
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Awesome! That is a great price.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).