2009 OEM stubby on a 2005 Vibe?

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
super_vixen

2009 OEM stubby on a 2005 Vibe?

Post by super_vixen »

Sorry to (removed) in here, but I'm Christmas shopping for my good friend and I can't seem to find any information from dealers or otherwise if this will work.My friend has a 2005 Vibe and he can't use his OEM antenna due to the height clearance in his garage. I wanted to get him the 2009 OEM shorter antenna so that he doesn't have to take it off all the time. A) will this work? Will the reception be affected?B) I believe the 2009 is a female joint - I'm not sure what the 2005 is and if this will work? Can anyone answer that? Since it's a gift, I don't want to make him suspicious or check! Any help is much appreciated!Thanks!
MotoAce51

Re: 2009 OEM stubby on a 2005 Vibe? (super_vixen)

Post by MotoAce51 »

I have been reading up on these a lot lately and I hear the reception does decrease a lot if the signal is weak. I don't know why but thats what I am finding.I am thinking of trying the shark fin but I hear that does the same thing.
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
vibenvy

Re: 2009 OEM stubby on a 2005 Vibe? (bwflorida)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by super_vixen »Sorry to (removed) in here, but I'm Christmas shopping for my good friend and I can't seem to find any information from dealers or otherwise if this will work.My friend has a 2005 Vibe and he can't use his OEM antenna due to the height clearance in his garage. I wanted to get him the 2009 OEM shorter antenna so that he doesn't have to take it off all the time. A) will this work? Will the reception be affected?B) I believe the 2009 is a female joint - I'm not sure what the 2005 is and if this will work? Can anyone answer that? Since it's a gift, I don't want to make him suspicious or check! Any help is much appreciated!Thanks!I am not 100% positive, but I believe the '09-'10 antennas are the same as the '03-'08 antennas, so there wouldn't really be any point in using an '09-'10 antenna. It measures 16" which is nowhere near "stubby". My suggestion would be to get an OEM Honda 7" antenna.Quote, originally posted by MotoAce51 »I have been reading up on these a lot lately and I hear the reception does decrease a lot if the signal is weak. I don't know why but thats what I am finding.I personally have a Honda 7" antenna on my '09 GT and the reception has not been effected at all.Quote, originally posted by bwflorida »There's another GenVibe thread on this subject, and one message says that "a smaller 7" antenna from a Honda S2000 will fit the Vibe," and he included this eBay link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...lCompThere are hundreds of stubby antennas on eBay, and the following link shows one with three different Installation Studs. I don't know for sure, but maybe one of those studs will fit the Vibe antenna base.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...baa5dI would stay away from the "super stubby" 3" antennas. You will definitely lose reception with those. A couple weeks ago I installed OEM Honda 7" antennas on both mine and my mom's '09 GTs. The reception has not been effected at all and they look so much better than the factory 16" antenna.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibenvy

Re: Get The Honda Antenna! (bwflorida)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by bwflorida » I took J_TO_ENVY's advice and installed the Honda antenna. She's right--it looks great and does not affect reception. In fact, I feel like there's less static on the AM stations than the longer Vibe antenna. I don't listen to FM, so can't compare that reception.Glad to hear it's working out well for you ! It's definitely one of my favorite mods I have done to mine and my mom's Vibes.
DressedInBlack

Re: Get The Honda Antenna! (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by DressedInBlack »

did this about a week ago. love the look, but Carrie, is the base of your antenna considerably larger than the acceptor? mine looks a little goofy because there is a "cup" between the antenna and the acceptor. i can't tell from your pics but yours looks ok.
http://
vibenvy

Re: Get The Honda Antenna! (DressedInBlack)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »did this about a week ago. love the look, but Carrie, is the base of your antenna considerably larger than the acceptor? mine looks a little goofy because there is a "cup" between the antenna and the acceptor. i can't tell from your pics but yours looks ok. Both of ours don't seem to sit quite as flush as the factory Vibe antennas did, but to me it's not really all that noticeable unless you really look at them up close.
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

mine was apparently "cosmetically" defective because the one i have now is fine. not flush like you said but way better.
vibenvy

Re: (DressedInBlack)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »mine was apparently "cosmetically" defective because the one i have now is fine. not flush like you said but way better.Glad to hear you got it figured out Geoff !
DressedInBlack

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by DressedInBlack »

Thanks Carrie.It turned out to be the wrong product in the "correctly marked" package I do believe.
vibenvy

Re: (DressedInBlack)

Post by vibenvy »

You're welcome Geoff. That makes sense because ours fit pretty darn well. The only thing that kind of bothers me is that the base is glossy black and the antenna is more of a flat black. I have a can of bumper coating, I may have to tape the roofs up really well and hit the bases with the bumper coating to match the look of the antennas a little better.
vibenvy

Re: Fit & Finish (bwflorida)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by bwflorida »Here's a closeup of the Honda antenna. I'm very happy with the fit and the reception. The glossy vs. matte issue doesn't bother me at all. It just seems to be a better match with the OnStar antenna.Yep, that's exactly what ours look like. Like you said, the fit and reception are great. I am not too bothered by the glossy vs. matte black. I may paint the base and I may not. It definitely does match the OnStar antenna much better though.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

That might have the benefit of not accidentally getting broken in half by the garage door not being up all the way, because it is shorter/thicker... I tried backing out my car while the door was still going up and nearly snapped the thing in two! Luckily Chris was outside the car at the time and stopped me... and I don't keep the car in the garage anymore unless it's getting a mod.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
vibenvy

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »That might have the benefit of not accidentally getting broken in half by the garage door not being up all the way, because it is shorter/thicker... I tried backing out my car while the door was still going up and nearly snapped the thing in two! Luckily Chris was outside the car at the time and stopped me... and I don't keep the car in the garage anymore unless it's getting a mod. LOL! My dad did the same thing to my mom's Vibe. He was going to pull into the garage and he didn't open the door all the way. Fortunately it was with the old antenna which was pretty flexible. The Honda one is pretty flexible as well, but the main benefit is that it's a good 9" shorter than the factory one.
frankiemenz

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by frankiemenz »

I am glad I did that antenna mod too, the stubby looks great and clears my garage perfectly too!! Can't wait to put the 17's back on and do some spirited drving!!!
tinknocker105

Re: (frankiemenz)

Post by tinknocker105 »

I purchased one from the local Honda Dealer in Cerritos from their e-store and it was $13.44 out the door.I got the model with the swirl in it. It fit perfectly as if it was made OEM for the Vibe. I noticed the reception improved some but that's here in the L.A. basin.
tinknocker105

Re: (tinknocker105)

Post by tinknocker105 »

If you get the one with swirl, the part number is 39151-SWA-306
Drivinthvibe

Post by Drivinthvibe »

I am using a 2011 Ford Fiesta Stubby antenna ... works great and looks awesome ..
vibenvy

Re: (Drivinthvibe)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Drivinthvibe »I am using a 2011 Ford Fiesta Stubby antenna ... works great and looks awesome ..Interesting... do you have any pictures?