Cold Air Intake for 2009 Vibe GT

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
slaterracing

Cold Air Intake for 2009 Vibe GT

Post by slaterracing »

I am sure this has been asked before but i am thinking of buying a Vibe GT FWD with the manual trans and want to know if the Toyota Matrix Cold Air intake from TRD or K&N will fit. Thanks
VforVIBE

Re: Cold Air Intake for 2009 Vibe GT (slaterracing)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by slaterracing »I am sure this has been asked before but i am thinking of buying a Vibe GT FWD with the manual trans and want to know if the Toyota Matrix Cold Air intake from TRD or K&N will fit. ThanksWelcome, yes it has and yes it will, put one in myself.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
vibenvy

Re: Cold Air Intake for 2009 Vibe GT (VforVIBE)

Post by vibenvy »

VforVibe, myself and quite a few other '09 owners have the K&N Typhoon. It fits great and makes a noticeable difference in performance and sound of the engine.They can be had for a pretty decent price on eBay right now. Also, I recommend getting an AEM Dry Flow air filter to go with it to avoid any future over-oiling issues with the K&N filter. I have a ton of pictures of it installed on my Car Domain page.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
mikellini

Re: Cold Air Intake for 2009 Vibe GT (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by mikellini »

Can you explain a little more about the over-oiling issues you mention?
VforVIBE

Re: Cold Air Intake for 2009 Vibe GT (mikellini)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by mikellini »Can you explain a little more about the over-oiling issues you mention?Quote, originally posted by K&N FAQ »When servicing a K&N filter, take care not to over-oil the element. Besides impeding air flow, excess oil can migrate into the intake system where it can coat electronic sensors, which some OEM’s claim may hinder the sensors’ operation and result in a repair that will not be covered under warranty. Although K&N disagrees with such claims, as explained in more detail on this web site, in order to avoid a dispute with an OEM over the denial of a warranty claim, we suggest that you be careful not to over-oil your K&N air filter. Never saturate the filter. If oil drips from the filter, wash it and start over. Use only K&N oil. For example, an E-1500 filter has 92.4-inches of surface area requiring 1.707 fluid ounces of oil. Follow oiling instructions included with your filter .http://www.knfilters.com/filter_facts.htm
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
mikellini

Post by mikellini »

I see what you're saying, but I hardly think it's worth the extra money to purchase a totally new filter. You just need to be careful not to put too much on, right? I guess if the cold air intake didn't cost so darn much, I wouldn't mind spending some more on a dry filter hehe
VforVIBE

Re: Cold Air Intake for 2009 Vibe GT (mikellini)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by mikellini »I see what you're saying, but I hardly think it's worth the extra money to purchase a totally new filter. You just need to be careful not to put too much on, right? I guess if the cold air intake didn't cost so darn much, I wouldn't mind spending some more on a dry filter heheRight, you do NOT need to buy a new filter every time, just don't put a whole bottle of the oil on it, I've never had a problem with it, and I've been running with one for 5 years now.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by mikeillini »I see what you're saying, but I hardly think it's worth the extra money to purchase a totally new filter. You just need to be careful not to put too much on, right? I guess if the cold air intake didn't cost so darn much, I wouldn't mind spending some more on a dry filter heheQuote, originally posted by VforVibe »Right, you do NOT need to buy a new filter every time, just don't put a whole bottle of the oil on it, I've never had a problem with it, and I've been running with one for 5 years now.It's all personal preference. I personally would rather spend the approximately $40 for a dry filter that will ensure my sensors don't get gummed up with oil than use a K&N and risk it, even if that risk is small. Also, the dry filter can be cleaned as often as you want and it's much easier to clean than an oiled filter since there is no re-oiling needed. Just my $.02 though . Also Mike, I don't know if you've seen this or not, but there is one company on eBay right now selling the K&N intake for a pretty decent price compared to all the others.
mikellini

Post by mikellini »

Thanks for the link, it's still $300 USD with shipping for me, about the same as the other ones I've seen... the K&N only needs to be cleaned and re-oiled every 50,000 km or something, so really, it's not going to be a big deal for me. Some people will clean it more often, but it most cases it's unnecessary. It's like people who change their oil every month/2000km, it's not going to get you any longer engine life. I do see that the dry filter is the way to go from a tech standpoint, but not worth the extra money; that is, unless you have it to spend. I'm poor haha
ou.grizzly

Re: (mikellini)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by mikellini ». I'm poor hahaI am right there with ya Brotha!
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

How hard is it to install the K & N Intake on the GT? Ive looked and it seems like the strut bar and the big black plastic housing would make it really hard to connect the intake housing. Any way you can explain what all you had to remove to be able to install it?
vibenvy

Re: (DaveG)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DaveG »How hard is it to install the K & N Intake on the GT? Ive looked and it seems like the strut bar and the big black plastic housing would make it really hard to connect the intake housing. Any way you can explain what all you had to remove to be able to install it?You don't have to remove anything aside from the factory intake stuff.You can download the installation instructions for it here.It took me a while to install it the first time, but last month I took my GT into the dealer for the pedal recall and I removed the intake so they wouldn't give me a hard time about it. I had it off and had the factory stuff back on in about 15 minutes and I had the factory stuff off and the K&N back on after coming home from the dealer in about 15 minutes. It's very easy to install (and uninstall ).It does take some manuvering to get the piping under the strut bar, but it's totally doable without removing anything. Just take your time and be careful so you don't scratch the piping. I actually found the air box that goes around the new filter to be more of a pain to get in place than connecting the piping to the throttle body was. Feel free to PM me on here if you need any more pointers or anything .
DaveG

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by DaveG »

awesome thanks!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

You're welcome !
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Ordered my K&N Intake Thursday night, should have it by Tuesday.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Sweet! I can't wait to see pictures! If you run into any issues with the installation or anything and need help, feel free to contact me. I'm sure you'll be fine though .
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Well took me about an hour and a half. Took my time and had a small battle with the screw for the mounting bracket on the sensor (Screw head almost stripped out till i found the right size phillips head). I have to say there's a very noticeable gain in power and when your around 3500 to 5500 rpms it sounds freakin awesome. If it actually gives me better mileage that'll just be icing on the cake. So far very happy i did this upgrade. Here's the pics.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Ooooooooh you people are making me want one of these really bad right now... now I just need to hope I can get more client contracts signed so it can be in the budget!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
tpollauf

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Ooooooooh you people are making me want one of these really bad right now... now I just need to hope I can get more client contracts signed so it can be in the budget!I'm telling ya .... this forum can be DANGEROUS and costly In a GOOD way All these ideas & mods that you guys are doing just make the rest of us want it THAT MUCH MORE I'm sticking to my LED mods for now (almost done) and will check out ALL mods (such as this post) at the Indy meet. Then I'll really have a good idea if any of them make it into my Vibe
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

According to the K&N Website itself (under Toyota Matrix) it adds 9.06hp @ 5026 RPM... that's pretty good for just changing one simple thing! The one that fits my husband's GT would only add 5-6hp according to them... so yay, they made a good one for us.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »According to the K&N Website itself (under Toyota Matrix) it adds 9.06hp @ 5026 RPM... that's pretty good for just changing one simple thing! The one that fits my husband's GT would only add 5-6hp according to them... so yay, they made a good one for us. yep and thats 9hp at the wheels, probably a bit more in the engine. according to their documentation some is lost through the drive train. It's definitely an instantly noticeable difference. Only problem is now im driving my Vibe like an Indy car even when im just cruising to work. It's crazy cause ill take off from a stoplight and watch my RPMs while i shift (Sport shift not manual) in just a few secs i look up and im 1/4 mile away from everyone that was at the light. Love the intake but I'm seeing a ticket or two in my future...
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by DaveG »yep and thats 9hp at the wheels, probably a bit more in the engine. according to their documentation some is lost through the drive train. It's definitely an instantly noticeable difference. Only problem is now im driving my Vibe like an Indy car even when im just cruising to work. It's crazy cause ill take off from a stoplight and watch my RPMs while i shift (Sport shift not manual) in just a few secs i look up and im 1/4 mile away from everyone that was at the light. Love the intake but I'm seeing a ticket or two in my future...That is going to be my problem too since I'm already kind of a leadfoot. In an ideal world, I'd get myself one of these before the Indy meet... we'll see how the budget works out! It would be nice to have though, esp. if it helps with efficiency (mpgs) as well... even 1mpg gain will make me happy lol.And I'd eventually plan on also getting a new exhaust setup as well to complement it... according to what I've read, the combination of the two with our particular engine has the potential to get the hp up from 158hp stock to 175-180hp (depending on whose numbers you take) which is.... MORE than enough for me in this little car!Yeah this darn forum is making me get all excited and spend money... also want window tints! But what *should* be my first purchase is a rear bumper protector to protect the paint from the scratches of loading video gear cases into it all the time... I just really won't like how it will look with a big rubber black thing back there.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DaveG »Well took me about an hour and a half. Took my time and had a small battle with the screw for the mounting bracket on the sensor (Screw head almost stripped out till i found the right size phillips head). I have to say there's a very noticeable gain in power and when your around 3500 to 5500 rpms it sounds freakin awesome. If it actually gives me better mileage that'll just be icing on the cake. So far very happy i did this upgrade. Here's the pics.Looks great Dave ! I'm glad it went on pretty easily for you!Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Ooooooooh you people are making me want one of these really bad right now... now I just need to hope I can get more client contracts signed so it can be in the budget!Just get one already Michelle! You know you want to !Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »I'm telling ya .... this forum can be DANGEROUS and costly In a GOOD way All these ideas & mods that you guys are doing just make the rest of us want it THAT MUCH MORE I'm sticking to my LED mods for now (almost done) and will check out ALL mods (such as this post) at the Indy meet. Then I'll really have a good idea if any of them make it into my Vibe If you want I can take you for a ride in the Vibe in Indy so you can hear and feel the K&N intake. You will most definitely want one after experiencing it . In my opinion, it's the best mod I have done. It's made driving alot more enjoyable by giving a nice sound to the engine and increasing the gas mileage by an average of 1-2 mpgs. It think every '09-'10 2.4L owner needs one!Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »According to the K&N Website itself (under Toyota Matrix) it adds 9.06hp @ 5026 RPM... that's pretty good for just changing one simple thing! The one that fits my husband's GT would only add 5-6hp according to them... so yay, they made a good one for us. In real world conditions it's probably a bit less than 9.06, but it definitely adds some oomph and gives it a meaner sound when it hits the higher rpms.Quote, originally posted by DaveG »yep and thats 9hp at the wheels, probably a bit more in the engine. according to their documentation some is lost through the drive train. It's definitely an instantly noticeable difference. Only problem is now im driving my Vibe like an Indy car even when im just cruising to work. It's crazy cause ill take off from a stoplight and watch my RPMs while i shift (Sport shift not manual) in just a few secs i look up and im 1/4 mile away from everyone that was at the light. Love the intake but I'm seeing a ticket or two in my future...Don't worry, eventually the novelty of the intake will wear off and you will return to your normal driving habits . Trust me... been there, done that !Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »That is going to be my problem too since I'm already kind of a leadfoot. In an ideal world, I'd get myself one of these before the Indy meet... we'll see how the budget works out! It would be nice to have though, esp. if it helps with efficiency (mpgs) as well... even 1mpg gain will make me happy lol.And I'd eventually plan on also getting a new exhaust setup as well to complement it... according to what I've read, the combination of the two with our particular engine has the potential to get the hp up from 158hp stock to 175-180hp (depending on whose numbers you take) which is.... MORE than enough for me in this little car!Yeah this darn forum is making me get all excited and spend money... also want window tints! But what *should* be my first purchase is a rear bumper protector to protect the paint from the scratches of loading video gear cases into it all the time... I just really won't like how it will look with a big rubber black thing back there.You definitely need one before the Indy meet Michelle!Here's the cheapest one I could find on eBay. It's $258.00 including shipping. That's significantly cheaper than what I paid for mine about a year ago .My gas mileage on average is 1-2 mpg more than my mom's '09 GT with a drop in aFe air filter, so I would say you can expect at the very least a 1-2 mpg gain.I personally like the way the Vibe sounds with the factory exhaust and intake. I have learned my lessons with aftermarket exhausts and 4 cylinder cars, no matter what... they never sound good. I will stick with the stock exhaust. I like that the Vibe is stealthy unlike my former Sunfire with its obnoxious aftermarket exhaust. Also, not to burst your bubble, but for an intake and exhaust you're only looking at maybe a 10 horsepower gain at the most. Again, in real world driving conditions you never get the max numbers that the companies do when they're "testing" the products in a certain environment. Also, the 158 factory horsepower rating is probably a bit exaggerated as most are, so I would guess with real world conditions with an intake and exhaust you could expect to see maybe 165-168 at the most. Just a quick example, my old '02 Sunfire Sedan's engine was rated at 115 horsepower, but the actual dyno tested horsepower was 98. Companies do this to make their products seem better and faster, but it doesn't always work that way . Just my $.02 though.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »I personally like the way the Vibe sounds with the factory exhaust and intake. I have learned my lessons with aftermarket exhausts and 4 cylinder cars, no matter what... they never sound good. I will stick with the stock exhaust. I like that the Vibe is stealthy unlike my former Sunfire with its obnoxious aftermarket exhaust. Also, not to burst your bubble, but for an intake and exhaust you're only looking at maybe a 10 horsepower gain at the most. Again, in real world driving conditions you never get the max numbers that the companies do when they're "testing" the products in a certain environment. Also, the 158 factory horsepower rating is probably a bit exaggerated as most are, so I would guess with real world conditions with an intake and exhaust you could expect to see maybe 165-168 at the most. Just a quick example, my old '02 Sunfire Sedan's engine was rated at 115 horsepower, but the actual dyno tested horsepower was 98. Companies do this to make their products seem better and faster, but it doesn't always work that way . Just my $.02 though.Ah no, I'm not really surprised that the real-world numbers would be lower... though I do like that K&N actually posts the charts from their tests, and it looks pretty solid (there were actually some spots on the rpm chart where it showed more than 9hp gain, and many where it showed less). An exhaust is a lot more money for a lot less benefit, esp. if you don't change the cat. converter or anything... it's probably way more hassle than it's worth, especially with install... I am guessing 99% likely I won't worry about it.But before I do anything, I'm buying of the rear bumper protectors so that Chris's video equipment and other large things stop ruining my paint back there lol.If we get a new client contract signed, or people decide to actually pay me what they owe me lol, then I'll get the intake.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

The rear bumper protector won't look that bad. It will go with the rest of the black on the exterior. Besides it will protect the paint. I was considering getting them for both of our Vibes, but I decided they wouldn't look right and we don't haul stuff like you guys do .
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »The rear bumper protector won't look that bad. It will go with the rest of the black on the exterior. Besides it will protect the paint. I was considering getting them for both of our Vibes, but I decided they wouldn't look right and we don't haul stuff like you guys do . Yeah I'm planning on buying the Bushwhacker one that has the little overhang lip, rather than the OEM one... apparently it's a 95% ok fit (not perfect) but that's good enough for me to not have a ruined bumper from Pelican cases and suitcases lol.
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

Well, you all convinced me. Tim was right - this forum can be very persuasive to catching the mod bug. Carrie and Michelle, I'm sorry there wasn't time at Indy to get a ride so I could check out your all's intakes, but I went ahead and bought a Typhoon anyway - got it off ebay for $232.80 postpaid. It is sitting on the workbench in the garage right now, waiting to be installed this weekend. Comments and pics to follow (but you all already know what it looks like).
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799
vibenvy

Re: (enfield577)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »Well, you all convinced me. Tom was right - this forum can be very persuasive to catching the mod bug. Carrie and Michelle, I'm sorry there wasn't time at Indy to get a ride so I could check out your all's intakes, but I went ahead and bought a Typhoon anyway - got it off ebay for $232.80 postpaid . It is sitting on the workbench in the garage right now, waiting to be installed this weekend. Comments and pics to follow (but you all already know what it looks like).LOL! Can't wait to see pictures and hear what you think of it Geoff ! Best of luck with the install !
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

Wow! Nice little throaty roar! Nice top-end gain! I like it!It took longer than I expected to install, but that was mainly due to (1) pausing often to mop my brow and drink water (hot and humid in the garage today), (2) pausing to hunt up tools that I had forgotten where they were (it happens when you move every 3-4 years), but mostly (3) I had to extend the bolt slot in the main mounting bracket – no way could I bolt it all together without making that slot longer.I went with the AEM dry flow filter, at Carrie's suggestion.I hope it gives better mileage, but that will have to wait until the newness wears off, and the temptation to hear that roar and feel that little extra umph.Has anyone posted a document or thread of hints for installing the Typhoon? I definitely have some after today, and I'm sure others do as well.Anyway, it wasn't TOO hard, and it really is a nice improvement.Here's a pic … looks good with the GrafxWerks engine cover overlay.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Looks great Geoff ! And I'm glad to hear you're happy with the sound ! I have seen a steady 1-2 mpg increase with it installed after the initial 'stepping on the gas to hear the intake' phase is over so I'm sure you will see the same improvement as well. That's so weird that the AEM filter is red. All the ones I've ever seen were gray . They must have known you like red ! I don't believe anyone has made a post with helpful installation hints. My only one would be that I ended up just zip tying the EVAP solenoid to the bracket rather than trying to get everything screwed together from the underside . Might not be a bad idea to start one.Yes, it does go great with the Grafx Werks overlay !
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Red.... *drool* Yeah it took us an extra half an hour because we were determined to mount it using what was provided- and somehow, we did!I've noticed less mpg with this intake, even the last month or so when I have been driving more conservatively to make up for it. My possible theory is that the intake actually performed worse than the stock intake at really low RPM (according to their tests/printouts) and unfortunately I am spending a lot of time at those speeds due to horrible traffic. My theory could be crap, but it's what I've got right now!
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »That's so weird that the AEM filter is red. All the ones I've ever seen were gray . They must have known you like red ! Oh, I didn't realize the filter was different ... I should have looked at your Cardomain pics, Carrie. Now I feel special. See how my filter sits over to the left of the air box / heat shield? I couldn't get it anywhere near the center, like yours is. My intake tube comes into the air box pointing down and to the left. I took it off and retried it a couple times (mainly to take that bracket back off to cut the slot longer), and it always went back like that. I guess it's OK like that ...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

AEM's filters come in a few different colors from what I've seen online. I have just never seen one in red. I've only seen the gray like I have and white, but like I said, it totally matches your color scheme so that definitely worked out well ! Out of curiousity, what's the part number for the filter you're using? Maybe it varies by part number.I did notice that your filter sits off to the side. I have no clue why that would be, especially if you took it off and tried moving it over multiple times to no avail. I didn't have any problem lining mine or my mom's up. All I can think of is maybe it's the difference of me just zip tying the EVAP solenoid? That's the only "difference" between our installations that I can think of .
areles

Post by areles »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »I went with the AEM dry flow filter, at Carrie's suggestion.Is there a different part number for the red version?Ron
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »wow. that is completely different from the 03/04 intakes! LOL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

The AEM filter is P/N 21-203DK. It is pictured as a red filter on the box. I didn't notice, though - it was the gray one in the ebay photo. I'm glad they changed it to red.I didn't think of this until today - it might have worked, to move my filter into the center, to bolt the EVAC bracket and main bracket to the bottom of the intake first (without making the bolt slot any longer), then push this whole assembly to the right and line up the other side of the main bracket with the bolt for the fuel rail bracket. IF I could have pushed it over that far, it would have moved the filter over to the right some. Not that it's hitting on the left, or sitting all the way over to the left ... but it IS left of center. Oh well, it doesn't seem to have any adverse effect.
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

OK, here is a list of little hints that I jotted down after I did the install. Feel free to add to it!Hints to install the K&N Typhoon Intake kit #69-8613 in a Vibe 2.4L (installed in an '09 Vibe GT).Numbers below are keyed to the steps in the K&N instructions.General hint - The electrical connections and intake tube connections to the throttle body and air box can be stiff, and can feel like they won't come apart. Take your time and wiggle the parts a little to loosen them.4. To "unhook" the EVAP valve, you have to push a plastic pin tab up through the rubber on the intake tube. This is a plastic pin about 1.5 inch long with a flare on the bottom - the flare sticks out of the rubber intake and holds the solenoid in place. Just push on the bottom of the flared part, so it pushes up into the rubber part of the intake, then it will come out of the intake.6. To unclip the wiring harness clamp from the tab on the back of the lower air box, use a flat tip screwdriver to pry up on the plastic tab in the clamp, then you can pull the clamp off the air box tab.7. Use a pair of pliers or Vise-Grips to pinch the spring clamp on the throttle body side of the intake tube, so you can pull it off the throttle body.11. Leave this bolt loose - it helps to be able to move the bracket around during Step 19. NOTE: I had to lengthen the bolt slot in bracket #06509 about 0.75-inch, to successfully do Step 19. You might want to go ahead and lengthen the slot now, or wait until Step 19 to see if you will need to do this on your vehicle. To lengthen the slot, drill three 0.25-inch pilot holes (center punch first), then use a Dremel tool or similar to join the holes into a longer slot.12. The step hose is a tight fit on the throttle body. Suggest you use a little lubricant on the inside of the step hose (top and bottom) - just a small amount of petroleum jelly (eg, Vaseline or similar) spread on the inside. Align the hose clamps so that you will be able to get to the tightening nuts with a nut driver or screwdriver, when everything is installed.14. I didn't trim the long edge trim - I left it all on there, so it would continue down beside the fresh air supply tube, between the tube and the battery.15. The edge trim has metal in it. I trimmed it with aviation snips. You could also use the cutting wheel of a Dremel tool (or similar).16. Leave the bolts loose for now (tighten before you install the filter element). Make sure the square hole at the right front of the heat shield goes around the plastic fresh air supply tube - so that the end of the tube is sticking into the heat shield area.18. Before you install the mass air sensor, screw both bolts (F) into the intake tube to clear the threads - screw the bolts in and out a couple times. IMPORTANT - At this same time, screw bolt (G) into the threads of the mounting boss on the bottom of the intake tube, to clear the threads. Screw this bolt all the way in and out a few times, to make it easier to put the bolt in from the bottom in Step 19.19. Because the strut bar in a GT takes up some of the working room, it works best to sort of curve the intake tube around the air box, and put in the air box end first (through the hole in the heat shield), then put in the other end into the step hose on the throttle body. Make sure this end of the intake tube is installed into the step hose as far as it is supposed to go. You can go ahead and tighten the hose clamp. Then insert the bolt (with washers) through the EVAP bracket and main bracket from beneath, and thread it into the mounting boss on the bottom of the intake tube (this is where I had to take the main bracket off and lengthen the slot).20. Before you install the air filter element, tighten the three bolts on the bottom of the heat shield (Step 16), and the bolt on the fuel rail bracket (Step 11), and any other hardware that was left loose (hose clamps).21. I re-used the original crank case vent hose - it fits fine and has insulation and clamps on it.Good luck!
areles

Post by areles »

Thanks for helpful hints. I will be going through this eventually - maybe Nov or Dec.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »21. I re-used the original crank case vent hose - it fits fine and has insulation and clamps on it.I definitely reused those clamps as well!I'm pretty glad I didn't have a GT when I was installing this, having to work around that bar would have been even more of a pain.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »The AEM filter is P/N 21-203DK. It is pictured as a red filter on the box. I didn't notice, though - it was the gray one in the ebay photo. I'm glad they changed it to red.That's the same exact part number of the ones I ordered for mine and my mom's so there's obviously not a specific part number for the red filter. I guess if someone wanted a red filter, just email the seller on eBay and see if they can send you a red one. I ordered both of ours from eBay and both are gray. They just come in a few different colors apparently.Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »OK, here is a list of little hints that I jotted down after I did the install. Feel free to add to it!Hints to install the K&N Typhoon Intake kit #69-8613 in a Vibe 2.4L (installed in an '09 Vibe GT).Numbers below are keyed to the steps in the K&N instructions.General hint - The electrical connections and intake tube connections to the throttle body and air box can be stiff, and can feel like they won't come apart. Take your time and wiggle the parts a little to loosen them.4. To "unhook" the EVAP valve, you have to push a plastic pin tab up through the rubber on the intake tube. This is a plastic pin about 1.5 inch long with a flare on the bottom - the flare sticks out of the rubber intake and holds the solenoid in place. Just push on the bottom of the flared part, so it pushes up into the rubber part of the intake, then it will come out of the intake.6. To unclip the wiring harness clamp from the tab on the back of the lower air box, use a flat tip screwdriver to pry up on the plastic tab in the clamp, then you can pull the clamp off the air box tab.7. Use a pair of pliers or Vise-Grips to pinch the spring clamp on the throttle body side of the intake tube, so you can pull it off the throttle body.11. Leave this bolt loose - it helps to be able to move the bracket around during Step 19. NOTE: I had to lengthen the bolt slot in bracket #06509 about 0.75-inch, to successfully do Step 19. You might want to go ahead and lengthen the slot now, or wait until Step 19 to see if you will need to do this on your vehicle. To lengthen the slot, drill three 0.25-inch pilot holes (center punch first), then use a Dremel tool or similar to join the holes into a longer slot.12. The step hose is a tight fit on the throttle body. Suggest you use a little lubricant on the inside of the step hose (top and bottom) - just a small amount of petroleum jelly (eg, Vaseline or similar) spread on the inside. Align the hose clamps so that you will be able to get to the tightening nuts with a nut driver or screwdriver, when everything is installed.14. I didn't trim the long edge trim - I left it all on there, so it would continue down beside the fresh air supply tube, between the tube and the battery.15. The edge trim has metal in it. I trimmed it with aviation snips. You could also use the cutting wheel of a Dremel tool (or similar).16. Leave the bolts loose for now (tighten before you install the filter element). Make sure the square hole at the right front of the heat shield goes around the plastic fresh air supply tube - so that the end of the tube is sticking into the heat shield area.18. Before you install the mass air sensor, screw both bolts (F) into the intake tube to clear the threads - screw the bolts in and out a couple times. IMPORTANT - At this same time, screw bolt (G) into the threads of the mounting boss on the bottom of the intake tube, to clear the threads. Screw this bolt all the way in and out a few times, to make it easier to put the bolt in from the bottom in Step 19.19. Because the strut bar in a GT takes up some of the working room, it works best to sort of curve the intake tube around the air box, and put in the air box end first (through the hole in the heat shield), then put in the other end into the step hose on the throttle body. Make sure this end of the intake tube is installed into the step hose as far as it is supposed to go. You can go ahead and tighten the hose clamp. Then insert the bolt (with washers) through the EVAP bracket and main bracket from beneath, and thread it into the mounting boss on the bottom of the intake tube (this is where I had to take the main bracket off and lengthen the slot).20. Before you install the air filter element, tighten the three bolts on the bottom of the heat shield (Step 16), and the bolt on the fuel rail bracket (Step 11), and any other hardware that was left loose (hose clamps).21. I re-used the original crank case vent hose - it fits fine and has insulation and clamps on it.Good luck!Great writeup for sure Geoff ! Thanks so much! I'm sure this will help many people out.Quote, originally posted by areles »Thanks for helpful hints. I will be going through this eventually - maybe Nov or Dec.You will love it Ron ! I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of it installed !Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »I'm pretty glad I didn't have a GT when I was installing this, having to work around that bar would have been even more of a pain.Yes, the factory strut bar on the GTs is a major PITA. It is the reason why both mine and my mom's intakes have scratches on them . I tried loosening the bolts and moving the strut bar up out of the way (since it can't be completely removed without removing the wipers, cowl panel, etc.) but it would only go up so much i.e. not enough .
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

Hey Geoff,Thanks for the tips and pointers on the install. Your write-up is exactly what i needed and it helped a lot.
http://
vibenvy

Re: (DressedInBlack)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »Hey Geoff,Thanks for the tips and pointers on the install. Your write-up is exactly what i needed and it helped a lot.Another 2009 - 2010 2.4L owner has been happily converted !
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Hey Enfield - was yours listed as fitting a Vibe or a Matrix? Right now there is nothing listed for the Vibe but several for the Matrix - I'm wondering if they are really the same.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ponta2147

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Hey Enfield - was yours listed as fitting a Vibe or a Matrix? Right now there is nothing listed for the Vibe but several for the Matrix - I'm wondering if they are really the same.It's listed for the Matrix.
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

mvpcarparts is the company i bought mine from; they had it listed as fitting the Matrix. i suggested they include the Vibe to sway some confusion. they have the best price though...at least when i purchased.
enfield577

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by enfield577 »

K&N lists it for a Matrix 2.4L and Scion 2.4L - they don't show the Vibe, but since it's the same engine ...Hey Geoff, did you cure your lead foot yet? It took me a couple weeks to get over it. I have now put about four tanks of gas through it since I installed the intake, and it appears that my overall mileage may go up about 1mpg. Nothing dramatic. At least it didn't go down, overall (the first tank, suffering from a lead foot, sure did go down in mpg!).
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »Hey Geoff, did you cure your lead foot yet? not totally, i still like to step on it but it's a 100% cognizant decision. my foot should be cured soon.
vibenvy

Re: (DressedInBlack)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Hey Enfield - was yours listed as fitting a Vibe or a Matrix? Right now there is nothing listed for the Vibe but several for the Matrix - I'm wondering if they are really the same.Coming over to the dark side are we !?!Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »It's listed for the Matrix.Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »mvpcarparts is the company i bought mine from; they had it listed as fitting the Matrix. i suggested they include the Vibe to sway some confusion. they have the best price though...at least when i purchased.Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »K&N lists it for a Matrix 2.4L and Scion 2.4L - they don't show the Vibe, but since it's the same engine ...This one is the cheapest on eBay right now Kincaid (mvpcarparts as DressedInBlack said) . Here's the info page for it on K&N's site. I emailed K&N a while back and told them they should list the 2009 - 2010 2.4L Vibe in the fitments as well. They gave me some bs about having to test fit it in house and blah blah blah. Oh well, at least we all know it fits !Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »It took me a couple weeks to get over it. I have now put about four tanks of gas through it since I installed the intake, and it appears that my overall mileage may go up about 1mpg. Nothing dramatic. At least it didn't go down, overall (the first tank, suffering from a lead foot, sure did go down in mpg!).If you haven't already Geoff, you should start keeping track of your mileage on MPG Tune. I average 28-29 mpg with 50/50 driving with the intake, so mine increased 1-2 mpg. Not bad at all in my opinion.
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »This one is the cheapest on eBay right now Kincaid (mvpcarparts as DressedInBlack said) . That's where I got mine - same price, fast shipping.Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Here's the info page for it on K&N's site. I emailed K&N a while back and told them they should list the 2009 - 2010 2.4L Vibe in the fitments as well. They gave me some bs about having to test fit it in house and blah blah blah. Oh well, at least we all know it fits !Yeah, we have all done all the test fitting necessary! Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »If you haven't already Geoff, you should start keeping track of your mileage on MPG Tune. I average 28-29 mpg with 50/50 driving with the intake, so mine increased 1-2 mpg. Not bad at all in my opinion. I keep track of my mileage the old fashioned way, with pen in a notebook, as I have done with every car since my first one.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by enfield577 »That's where I got mine - same price, fast shipping.Yeah, we have all done all the test fitting necessary! I keep track of my mileage the old fashioned way, with pen in a notebook, as I have done with every car since my first one. That's probably the same place I got my mom's intake from back in July as well. Yes, we definitely have more than enough proof on here that it fits the '09-'10 2.4L Vibes .I have been figuring mine out since I first got the Vibe, but I didn't start actually keeping track of it until I found out about MPG Tune back in May I believe. I wish I would have been keeping track of it the whole time though . I can't wait to see what kind of numbers I get this winter with the heavy steelies on .