Front license plate bracket for '07... are they made of gold, or what?

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
monarch

Front license plate bracket for '07... are they made of gold, or what?

Post by monarch »

Hello all,I recently acquired an '07 from a relative in Florida. Very clean and nice with less than 12k miles. Anyway, since they don't require a front plate in the sunshine state, they don't even bother to install a front plate bracket. Now that the car is located in the [cloudy] state (NY is the empire state actually) and the NYS-DMV requires that a front plate be displayed, I naturally went looking for the bracket. Since I'm disabled and on a fixed income, money is very tight. I'm trying to locate a used (pre-owned?) one. People are laughing at me... no lie! Apparently these are being snapped-up for some reason. Do they use gold or platinum in the manufacturing process? Are they a collector's item? What gives here!Ok, Ok... I'm trying to inject a little (very little, I know) humor into this situation. The truth is, however, that there is really nothing funny about it. I can NOT afford a brand new one even if I could find one. I've tried eBay and the Web looking for a good used one, and I've come up with nothing, zip, nada, zero, zilch! I suppose that if worse-comes-to-worse, I could cob together some universal bracket of some sort, but I really don't want to go that route. I could understand having difficulty if I was looking for a plate bracket for... say... a '58 Chieftain or something. But for all intents and purposes, this is a new car. Geez...Can someone give me a little help here? Can you steer me in the right direction? Do you have one for sale or one that you would part with? I'm REALLY getting a little more than irritated!Thanks for taking the time to read my sad, sad tale!Regards,Rob
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

I just checked in the cargo area of my 08 Vibe and I do not have one. Maybe some other members here could do the same.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

GM Parts Direct http://www.gmpartsdirect.comhas the bracket you seek, it is $52 though.Why not just pick up a universal plate bracket from a place like Auto Zone or Napa.Here is an example of an item that will workhttp://www.autogeek.net/bkt7006.htmlKeep looking for the proper front plate bracket at junk yards and online but until you find it this type of bracket will work just fine. You could even pick up a piece of aluminum bar from a place like Home Depot, drill some holes, bend it a little and you'll be good to go!Sadly GM charges a tad too much for most items on the VIBE. You will find Toyota has many parts and oils for the Matrix usually at a lower price. The Vibe is a Matrix except for the body and a few minor interior items (such as the cabin air filter). Take off the body, you have Toyota Matrix which is a Toyota Corolla running gear.When I got my 07 Vibe new, my son had an 06 Corolla, pop the hood and parked side by side, the engine compartment was darn near identical!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
ou.grizzly

Re: (djkeev)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by monarch »Since I'm disabled and on a fixed income, money is very tight. I'm trying to locate a used (pre-owned?) one. Quote, originally posted by djkeev »GM Parts Direct http://www.gmpartsdirect.comhas the bracket you seek, it is $52 though.Why not just pick up a universal plate bracket from a place like Auto Zone or Napa.Here is an example of an item that will workhttp://www.autogeek.net/bkt7006.htmlDo not get me wrong, I value your attempt to help, but posting a link to an item that is $52.00 + shipping is A LOT of money, especially someone who is on a limited budget and disabled. That bracket MAY work, but considering the 03-08 Vibe's front end comes to a point, it would be a little difficult. I urge other members here who may have one and do not use it, please offer it up due to the circumstances. If I had one, I would in a heart beat.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
djkeev

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by djkeev »

A universal bracket will work just fine. Sure there is a bend in the front bumper but not so much as to prevent a universal from working. You'll just need to crease the bracket in the center to match the angle. It won't be sealed against the bumper like the factory unit is but it would work without any issues.
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The msrp is the same whether or not there is a front license plate bracket. Since GM didn't include the front bracket with that car to begin with, perhaps they could be convinced to "give" this person one now. (And maybe my lottery number will hit big today!)Actually I am surprised GM didn't add $52 for all of us who live in a two plate state.Does Toyota charge $52 for that part?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: (jake75)

Post by jake75 »

Found - Toyota Parts https://toyotapartscenter.net/....htmllicense bracket - 2005-08 - 2005-08 05-08 $32.81But it gets worse - other parts may be needed -9)Mount bracket Back 10.6110) Side support Right 13) License bracket 14) License bracket Nut 15) License bracket ScrewBut except for the bolts and screws the may already be there.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

You could probably go to any hardware store (you have an ACE Hardware where you live?) and find a black plastic sleeve long enough, buy two and cut them to fit the angle of the bumper. I assume like on the 2009 Vibe they just have a stainless steel screw going right into bumper? Measure three times and screw it in. If you do it right you should be able to have a nice "stand off" mount for the plate for just a buck or two.I have found all manner of hardware at ACE and fabbed together lots of things. Just work your way thru the myriad of drawers until you find what you need.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »I urge other members here who may have one and do not use it, please offer it up due to the circumstances. If I had one, I would in a heart beat.
monarch

Post by monarch »

I appreciate you taking the time to look for one for me... thanks!Regards,Rob
monarch

Post by monarch »

Hi Dave,Thanks for taking the time to post. In my neck of the woods, these stupid things go for around $80... not including the tax! I was a mechanic for 35+ years before I became disabled. I know that I could put something together that would work or use an aftermarket universal bracket or maybe even modify some other manufacturers bracket, but these choices will only apply if I can't locate an OEM part. I'm going to give myself about another week to find one before I resort to the other options. Man... I sure am getting tired of looking at the front plate that is now sitting propped-up in the front windshield! Again, thanks for your post.Regards,Rob
jake75

Re: (monarch)

Post by jake75 »

It might be easier to lobby the NY State Legislature to change the law. Maybe the feds will come to the rescue - in the interest of conservation and the environment pass a law that withholds federal highway funds unless the state only requires a rear plate. Sometimes I think we ought to have a constitutional convention that abolishes the states. What do they do for us is small compared to what they do to us. The feds keep us safe from our enemies, the local govt. picks up our garbage. Vermont with a population of 625,000 has 2 US Senators. That's 10x more representation than average. Those Senators largely represent the Vermont dairy cows.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

IM Russiaville to see if the bracket is gone...http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=37102
jake75

Re: (bull77)

Post by jake75 »

Also might be worthwhile to post request on the Martrix Owners board.
spiffy1001

Post by spiffy1001 »

I live in Texas which is a two plate state, when I bought my new '09 they did not give me a front LP bracket, no lie, they took a drill to the bumper and installed it. My jaw dropped because they did not give me an option. They just said that is what they do, looking around, most cars down here are done the same. Just measure the distance and drill. If you sell it in New York it won't be a big deal - they will need a place for the plate too.
'09 Base with slight damage in the back.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I was surprised to see that they just drill right into the bumper as well, when I put on my plates. I guess as long as they don't strip out it is an elegantly brutal solution. No holes for those in states with no front plate required, a bracket for those that need it. My Civic has nice threaded inserts in its bumper and my Accord has a separately bolted bracket.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
monarch

Re: Front license plate bracket for '07... are they made of gold, or what? (monarch)

Post by monarch »

Hi all,I'm sorry that I didn't follow-up on my original post. I FINALLY found the correct plate bracket! If it hadn't come through when it did... I would have said "The heck with it" and just screwed it to the front bumper. Anyway, I got in touch with a young lady, thru eBay, and she had/has both Matrix and Vibe brackets and both new and used! I have no idea how many of what type she has left... but if you are looking for one, I'd send her an email and ask. Her email address is lena.krupicheva@rambler.ru. As you can see, this is a Russian address. Not to worry, the items ship out of New Jersey. She also sells other items on eBay. Her screen name is skazka19. She DID give me permission to post this info. By the way, I paid just shy of $28 for a B/N bracket in the factory plastic bag including the mounting screws and the shipping. I'm satisfied. It beats the snot out of paying $80+ for one over the Pontiac parts counter! I want to thank everyone for their posts and help. This is a great forum!Regards to all,Rob
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Glad you found what you needed!