Aftermarket Cruise Control

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
DC3

Aftermarket Cruise Control

Post by DC3 »

This afternoon we picked up an almost-new 2007 base Vibe. I've been driving cars for 60 years and buying them for 40 but somehow I let one slip by me this time. I did not realize 'til I was driving away from the dealer's that my car has no cruise control! I just assumed it did. How much difficulty is involved in retro-fitting cruise on a 5-speed?DC3
zionzr2

Re: Aftermarket Cruise Control (DC3)

Post by zionzr2 »

Welcome to our Vibedom!I believe the '05 to '08 models w DBW just needed the stalk and plug it in.The '03s and '04 needed much more work as they were not DBW.A SEARCH will yield additional help!
DC3

Re: Aftermarket Cruise Control (zionzr2)

Post by DC3 »

I appreciate your comment, Bill, but being a newbie about Vibes, I'm not sure what DBW means...please fill me in, if you will. One reason I bought the Vibe was for fuel economy and cruise control would surely help in that regard. Please...anyone...illuminate me on DBW!!dc3
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Drive by Wire. It's the same as e-gas. It eliminates the mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle, and is controlled electronically instead.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

DBW= Drive by Wire. There is no throttle cable, just a sensor and spring behind the gas pedal. Your Vibe is pre wired for cruise, you need to buy the stalk and install it in the steering column. The harness is inside the column.
DC3

Re: Aftermarket Cruise Control (nygiantzz1)

Post by DC3 »

Many thanks to you guys! I discovered the super search feature and am now loaded down with tips on cruise controls ! I'm not the greatest with working in tight spaces any longer (eyes begin to get squirrely at my age!) so I think I'll call my dealer Monday and see if I can convince them they should do the mod for me. Wish me luck!And, again, thanks for the help. DC3
kunkstyle

Post by kunkstyle »

Good luck! If your dealer won't do it, I'm sure you could find an independant mechanic that'll do it.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

If I can do it, I know the dealership can. I bought the stalk for $35.00. I think my dealer wanted $65.00 for it. labor shouldn't be more than two hours. I think it took me three, but I'm not the smartest pup in the litter.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
DC3

Re: Aftermarket Cruise Control (K-NINE)

Post by DC3 »

I live way out in the boondocks of the Blue Ridge mountains of western North Carolina. Nearest dealer's 50 miles from me. But just over the ridge is the independent ASE-certified mechanic who's kept every car we've had perking away for the last 15 years. I'm positive he can do it (if he will). All I need to do is order the stalk, right? Can I get that through my dealer or is the Rostra version better?DC3
prathman

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by DC3 »I live way out in the boondocks of the Blue Ridge mountains of western North Carolina. Nearest dealer's 50 miles from me. But just over the ridge is the independent ASE-certified mechanic who's kept every car we've had perking away for the last 15 years. I'm positive he can do it (if he will). All I need to do is order the stalk, right? Can I get that through my dealer or is the Rostra version better?Yes, all you need to buy is the stalk and you should get the GM/Toyota part. But see how much the dealer wants for it since it might be cheaper to get it elsewhere. http://www.rockauto.com usually has them for a pretty good price. The mechanic shouldn't have any problems doing the installation since it's pretty easy and quick. But print out some of the instructions you found with the search of this site. The only tricky part is that the green horn ground wire uses the same connector as the cruise control and has to be moved from its original connector to the one that comes with the stalk.
KNINE

Re: Aftermarket Cruise Control (prathman)

Post by KNINE »

I bought mine from rockauto, and it looks exactly like the OEM stalk. The most important thing to remember is that the rockauto stalk does not come with the green ground wire for the horn. It must be removed from the OEM connector and transferred to the rockauto connector. Otherwise your horn will not work. That's why it took me three hours to do mine. I had to take everything apart and do it over again. The green ground wire will be obvious once the airbag assembly is removed.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
VibeBear

Post by VibeBear »

Sorry for bringing back up an old topic, but does anyone know if the 09 Vibe's still have all the CC equipment.I only ask cause it's a re-design & it seems like something GM might *fix*
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 305/5-speed, Bright Dark Teal
2009 Pontiac Vibe Base 1.8L/5-speed, Carbon Grey
skywalker

Post by skywalker »

Ok, This sounds redundant but I looked but they didn't have pics. This is all i need, a 40 dollar part? The green wire thing confuses me. On another site I saw stuff about cutting out holes how was that? Don't want it to look like the hillbilly next door did it! Thx for the help. Clint