Oil Pressure Guage

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
engine1

Oil Pressure Guage

Post by engine1 »

Has anyone installed one yet? I'm thinking about taking out the drivers side vent by the window to put the guage there!
Abyss Monotone Power Package All exterior lights upgraded to Piaa 60 Series Flowmaster, K&N Typhoon Autometer liquid filled oil pressure guage 5% Tint on all five rear windows Hurst Pistol Grip shifter, Piaa Sports Horns
joatmon

Re: Oil Pressure Guage (engine1)

Post by joatmon »

I like having both of the vents on the drivers side. In the winter, you can have them heat up your hands while driving I have thought about an oil pressure gauge, but where to put it has kept me from really pursuing it. I don't want to give up anything in the dash for it. Somebody makes things that go on the frame between the door and windshield, but that's a bit too much "in your face" for me. I have been thinking lately about putting it in the top left corner on the dash, which would block even more light from the DRL sensor, but since it seems to always think it's dark anyway, probably wouldn't matter.Probably better to get an electrical gauge, I think it would make install easier. I put a pic of the oil pressure switch in http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=6395. If I put one in, I'd get a T to have both the stock switch and the new pressure sending unit together to use the gauge but still keep the idiot light. Haven't investigated the required plumbing though.In that thread, MadBill said "I installed my vacuum gauge in the flip-out compartment near the driver's left knee"I've also been thinking about taking a voltmeter and mounting onto a 12V plug and then just plug that in instead of the cigarette lighter.
Jahntassa

Re: Oil Pressure Guage (joatmon)

Post by Jahntassa »

I've been thinking about pursuing a DashPC kinda thing. ( http://www.dashpc.com If there are sensors that'll put out any sort of value, i'd connect it all up to a touchscreen..I swear..when I get the money, i'm gonna have a James Bond Vibe.. and trust me, no wires running everywhere.. Mostly nice and clean..and wooboy..somethin' to look at!If I had a million dollars...
2003 Vibe GT Lava"He inched his way up the corridor as if he would rather be yarding his way down it.""For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after a second or so, nothing continued to happen." - Douglas Adams...we all miss you
engine1

Re: Oil Pressure Guage (joatmon)

Post by engine1 »

I usually have that vent closed so it doesn't bother me to take it out, and Autometer makes the A-piller guage pod but nothing yet for the vibe. Just was wondering if anyone has done it and any major routing issues as I will use the mechanical type(more accurate, and faster response than electric)
Abyss Monotone Power Package All exterior lights upgraded to Piaa 60 Series Flowmaster, K&N Typhoon Autometer liquid filled oil pressure guage 5% Tint on all five rear windows Hurst Pistol Grip shifter, Piaa Sports Horns
engine1

oil pressure guage install

Post by engine1 »

Well today it goes in, the Auto-Meter pro comp 2 5/8 mechanical sender. I will post all pics and problems later on, but so far I test fit the guage and it fits perfectly where the center vent is/was, just up and to the left of the CD player!
cohocarl

Re: oil pressure guage install (engine1)

Post by cohocarl »

When I had my heart set on a SC (before the $3K pricetag was official) I had thought of putting a boost guage in that vent. Here's a poor photoshop of it. Is this the vent you are thinking of?
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
cool vibes

Re: oil pressure guage install (cohocarl)

Post by cool vibes »

That looks like it was made to sit in there is it Mechor Electrical? i"m thinking about putting guages in my car oil&water.
Altus

Re: oil pressure guage install (cool vibes)

Post by Altus »

So why'd you choose a Mechanical guage? Because they're cheaper?Personally, I'm not a big fan of running the plastic hose all the way to the guage.... if I were to do it I'd go for the electrical guages....And I am considering it.... these "idiot lights" are driving me nuts -- they don't really tell you anything.....
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
engine1

Re: oil pressure guage install (cohocarl)

Post by engine1 »

Actualy Carl I got the idea from you, I saw your pic about a year ago and thought waht a great idea! BTW Altus I chose the mechanical because of the reliability, it reacts faster than an electric and as long as you go slow and tighten your connections and route the tube away from sources of vibration it will never leak! I use copper line too as added protection from vibration caused leaks. I buy my parts as a Warehouse Distibuter so price isn't that big of a deal, I just want quality equipment for a fair price!Check out the install in the Tech Info and Do-It-Yourself forum!
Stang2Vibe

Re: oil pressure guage install (engine1)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Man, does that look NICE! Got me thinking now.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
jake75

Re: oil pressure guage install (Stang2Vibe)

Post by jake75 »

I remember the good old days when all cars had all these important guages instead of the idiot lights. Many times I have thought that the NTSB ought to make real oil pressure, battery and engine temp gauges mandatory in automobiles. It is a safety issue as much as the soon to be required tire pressure indicators - it is unsafe to have a car fail in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, or in the middle of a busy freeway. Cost would not be very much if it were standard equipment. Of course the NTSB has procrastinated in requiring safer power window switches too. And whatever happened to the idea of an inside trunk release?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
mcgusto82

Re: oil pressure guage install (jake75)

Post by mcgusto82 »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 » And whatever happened to the idea of an inside trunk release? not sure if it's mandatory, but all GM's i've come across have it.ofcourse it's only usefull when the trunk is enclosed. so our cars don't need it.what makes a gauge more usufull? it's the responsibility of the owner to keep up with a cars' maintenance.the idiot lights don't come on after the issue happens but usually before it's too late.alot of car's still don't have a tachometer you know..
djb383

Post by djb383 »

My ScanGauge won't indicate oil pressure, but it will just about everything else and it plugs into the ALDL port under the dash. It displays open/closed loop, intake air temp, coolant temp, ignition timing, mpg, mph, rpm, battery voltage, engine load and throttle position. It displays any four of these readings simultaneously in real time. In the photo it is set to display volts, intake air temp, mpg and coolant temp.

254727=9231-HPIM0112.JPG
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
jake75

Re: oil pressure guage install (mcgusto82)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by mcgusto82 »not sure if it's mandatory, but all GM's i've come across have it.ofcourse it's only usefull when the trunk is enclosed. so our cars don't need it.what makes a gauge more usufull? it's the responsibility of the owner to keep up with a cars' maintenance.the idiot lights don't come on after the issue happens but usually before it's too late.alot of car's still don't have a tachometer you know..1. I'll check out the trunk release thing at this year's Auto Show - usually in March. 2. If idiot lights are adequate, why do few if any cars use it for the coolant temp? As for me, I would get a lot of comfort being able to look at gauges that indicated oil pressure and voltage. Anyone care to take a poll? Example - If it added $50 tot he cost of the Vibe would you like your idoit lights replaced with an oil pressure and voltage gauge?3. Most of us normal drivers, especially those that drive AT's, could live without a tachometer.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Vibe_of_the_thing

Post by Vibe_of_the_thing »

Personally I like having a tach, although I drove a friend's old Corolla for a while that didn't have one and I got used to it pretty quickly. As a GT owner, I think it would be very difficult to enjoy the car without blowing it up if I didn't have a tach, but that's a pretty special case. A shift light would probably perform 90% of the function of the tach.