code PO328 knock sensor

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Dave2009vibe

code PO328 knock sensor

Post by Dave2009vibe »

Where is the knock sensor on 2009 1.8L Vibe?
I noticed my 2009 Vibe running a little rough one day, but it cleared up before i got home and I forgot about it. The next day I started out and ran through a deep puddle (which happens all the time), and several warning lights came on and stayed on. I took it back home and got my wife's car. It rained all week and i tried it a few times, but the lights stayed on. Things finally dried out and it should have been dry, but the lights stayed on. I dug out the code reader and got PO328, "Knock Sensor 1 circuit Bank 1 High Voltage"
A number of years ago warning lights like this lead to the dealer replacing the knock sensor for about $600. Then a few weeks later the same lights came on again and the dealer said that the computer was bad. I questioned this and they said the sensor probably damaged the computer. They replaced that for $600 or$800. (When the lights came on the second time there was a car behind me n the highway with Sapaugh 7 (the dealer) license plates. Good thing i'm not paranoid!)
Anyway, after i read the codes, I turned the cat back on intending to write down which lights were on, as I hadn't done that. The lights didn't come back on. I did not press the erase button on the reader.
I haven't driven it yet, but probably will try today.
Anybody have any idea what might be happening, whether I should look at replacing the knock sensor, and how to do that?
350kVibe

Re: code PO328 knock sensor

Post by 350kVibe »

Did you ever get this fixed?

If not... I have a couple ideas. For the record, I'm not a mechanic, just been driving quirky Pontiacs since I bought my first car, which is also when I first became familiar with this code. ;)
This code does usually, specifically mean an electrical problem.. "High Voltage" output.. created by either a bad/loose sensor or wires. In the absence of additional codes or performance issues, replacing the sensor would start you rolling down a path with certain answers and is a good place to start in order to find out with certainty what has caused the code. However, like you said, there is still that chance of there being another issue causing the dysfunction that could eventually mean replacing the sensor twice, like I had to. Since I also prefer not to commit my hard earned paychecks to any "try it and see" repairs unless I'm out of options, here's what I suggest for easy, low cost vehicle malfunction sleuthing...

Make sure you've got the correct octane level in your fuel according to your owners manual. This might seem silly, but if you don't regularly let your tank drop below half and it's been a long while since you saw the "low fuel" light or if you frequently use additives, what you think is in there may not be exactly right. That said... a good dose of fuel system cleaner can only do you good if you haven't treated a tank in a long time.

Next time you fill up, wait until tank is close to empty and try a tank with a full dose of seafoam, and clear the code.. If the code comes back, fill your next tankful (from near empty) with only the standard fuel according to owners manual and clear the code... If the code comes back again, it's more likely to be the sensor or wires than anything else, and though it seems costly, replacing the sensor would be your best diagnostic option.

To get a detailed diagram with the knock sensor location, just go to your local GM dealer and they should be able to get you what you need. The longer that code sticks around, the more likely it is to lead to serious mechanical issues, so let us know how it goes!
2009 Vibe GT
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

I recently came by a Scotty Kilmer video in which he mentioned just how bad driving through puddles can be. He specifically was talking about how that can destroy a catalytic converter, but it won't be immediately apparent.

It's probably not a danger if you hit the puddle early, but if you drive through it hot...

Anyway, maybe the wiring got soaked in a way it didn't like, and shorted out the sensor?

The car's computer, AFAIK is inside the car beneath the passenger side dash, so it should be high and dry.
2006 AWD, 207k
Dave2009vibe

Post by Dave2009vibe »

I did wind up replacing the knock sensor. Found a youtube video that showed how. Having done it now, I see that if you had all the tools available in a good place to work, like in a mechanic's shop, and you had done it before, you could do the whole thing in 20 minutes. The dealer charged me $600 for that job some years ago.
I've since had to replace a coil pack. Now I've got a blown head gasket, (I just made a post on that), so this may be the end of the car for me.
Thanks for the reply.