Motor swap? - 04 awd motor into 07 fwd 5spd

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
mrarcade

Motor swap? - 04 awd motor into 07 fwd 5spd

Post by mrarcade »

Hi, I have a 2007 vibe with a 5 speed. I am buying a 2004 awd. The 07 has muddy coolant. Guessing exhaust into coolant, oil is fine.

If I decide to do a motor swap will the 04 awd motor mount into the 07 and mesh with the 5 speed? I am guessing the flywheel would be different. I just don't know if the awd has different motor mounts etc.

The 04 all wheel drive runs but seller says the transmission is bad. Might I be better off just fixing or replacing the transmission? I've heard the all wheel drive transmission and rear differential are not sturdy.

Thanks for any and all advice.

mrarcade
zbyers

Re: Motor swap? - 04 awd motor into 07 fwd 5spd

Post by zbyers »

Technically it'll fit. They mount up basically the same. However, the AWD block has different mounting holes for the trans/diff than a FWD does. You'd have to find a way to plug those holes. As you mentioned, changing the flywheel is likely needed too. Then some sensors would probably also have to be swapped along with the TB (electronic throttle vs. cable on the AWD).

AWD drivetrain is solid, if it is maintained. The diff is known to leak and/or plug up (like on many vehicles). Clean the breather so it doesn't plug up and blow out the axle seals causing the leaks. The AWD tranny is a little more difficult to find, but can be had on websites like car-part.com.

Your best bet may to source an engine for the 07, and a tranny for the AWD. Fix both, and then sell one.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

Okay it seems things are going my way. I thought there was sludgy mud in the overflow on the 07 Vibe. Looks like the previous owner dumped stop leak straight into the overflow. I was afraid I had a bad head gasket , now I think I just have a coolant leak in the radiator so I will be replacing the radiator.

Picked up the 04 all wheel drive today just poured transmission fluid in and drove it up on the trailer. It has a massive fluid leak. I'm hoping it's just a hose, and the leak is all up by the radiator.

Having a catastrophic leak and losing all the fluid quickly, is it likely the transmission has been damaged beyond use? How likely is it I will repair the leak , fill it with fluid , and it will still be a fine drivable vehicle?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

mrarcade wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:38 pmHaving a catastrophic leak and losing all the fluid quickly, is it likely the transmission has been damaged beyond use? How likely is it I will repair the leak , fill it with fluid , and it will still be a fine drivable vehicle?
Hard to say without knowing nothing about the vehicle. Did they stop driving immediately when it sprung a leak? Did they limp it home? Did they continue to drive it anyways?

If the leak is up near the front for the transmission, it could be the steel tranny lines that go into the radiator (for the trans cooler).
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

Yes they stopped driving it immediately. And you hit the nail on the head. it was the transmission oil cooler pipes mounted just below the radiator. I went ahead and bought the car because we have a blue Vibe and could have used a lot of the parts. But once I saw it was just those tubes leaking I knew I was going to fix it. I replaced the oil cooler pipes and filled the trans with fluid. I Was driving the car today. I have to fix a brake leak on the passenger rear side, other than that the car seems ready to go. I do have to see about getting the AC working.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Jumping in here for what it's worth. Update profile for us showing your approximate geographical location. I say this because I presume you're somewhere in the midwest or areas that endure severe winter driving and salt/brine all over the roads :x Are these leaks clearly from corrosion? Hows the rest of the underside look? Mileage on car in question? Thanks and glad you'll be putting minimum repairs into a dependable Vibe that should give you a few more years of trouble free driving! ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

Yes, the leak was definitely caused by corrosion. Car was in the Columbus Ohio area.

I'm not sure why it corroded so badly, the lower cover was in place. This is our fourth Vibe and none of the other ones are corroded like this. I even paid attention to junkyard Vibes and those were much nicer as well.
Attachments
Was leaking from straight above the bolt
Was leaking from straight above the bolt
rsz_1img_20200527_105705744.jpg (148.61 KiB) Viewed 1103 times
mrarcade

Post by mrarcade »

Here is the 04 awd (200k miles) loaded for the trip home. You can see our 03 with the special edition no clear coat hood (100k miles) in the background..
Attachments
rsz_img_20200526_153952745_hdr_2.jpg
rsz_img_20200526_153952745_hdr_2.jpg (47.55 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Thanks for posting the pics, that's really helpful. I will check that spot on my AWD, and see if it can be gently cleaned up, and then hit it with rustoleum.
2006 AWD, 207k