Coolant / anti-freeze drip

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Spheratic

Coolant / anti-freeze drip

Post by Spheratic »

Hi, there seems to be a slight drip from just below the radiator cap. Is this normal? I have code P0125 (insufficient coolant temp for closed loop fuel control) and was wondering if this might be related. Struggling with emissions test, thank you.
Attachments
Drip
Drip
20191224_111841~3.jpg (514.88 KiB) Viewed 704 times
zbyers

Re: Coolant / anti-freeze drip

Post by zbyers »

P0125 typically signals low coolant level, or a possible bad thermostat.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0125

IF it is leaking from the radiator cap, you could replace it and see if that resolves your issue, though it is unlikely too. But, if it is leaking from that, that does need addressed anyways.

Check the coolant level when the vehicle is cold, and open the radiator cap. If you are low, add some coolant and try to keep from getting air in the system. Using a funnel like this is quite helpful for that.

https://www.amazon.com/EPAuto-Radiator- ... 6217&psc=1

Do you have a bluetooth code reader? You could hook it up and look at the coolant temps when the vehicle is warmed up. If the temp is around 175-180 or so for an OEM thermostat, it's likely the thermostat is bad. My coolant temperature runs at 176 most of the time.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Re: Coolant / anti-freeze drip

Post by Bookworm »

If your cap failed (and they do it), then you'll want to flush the coolant as well. What kills coolant is extra air added into the system.