Best Transmission Fluid Type

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
tjdean01

Best Transmission Fluid Type

Post by tjdean01 »

This topic has been discussed a lot, but after reading a dozen threads, I still can't decide which fluid. (I've decided the process, however, which I'll mention as review below.)

Which fluid is the BEST to use? I'm assuming I want full synthetic. Car will get 25,000 miles per year. The T-IV is old and not even synthetic, although I've seen that it's a synthetic blend (same as Mobil JWS3309). Any Dexron is a no-no. I don't want MaxLife with its more aggressive seal conditioners because as of now there are no leaks. Castrol Transmax is fully synthetic and supposedly works fine. A bit pricey locally, but I don't want to get it if it's not best for the vehicle.

Then, there's what I WANT to use. It doesn't seem to be too popular, but it's cheap, available and what I use for the older Camry: Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission. It's says Toyota "Type IV" right on the front and I can get it locally $6/quart or $25/gallon. Fully synthetic and has kept the Camry going good from 200k to 350k. It says it's good for Dexron and many other applications though. Would this be the "best"?

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (47.07 KiB) Viewed 2898 times

The process:
Car is a 2008 FWD and has nearly 300,000 miles and I'm assuming the fluid has been changed before based on its color, but I can't be sure because we've only had it a year. I'm going to drain the pan and put that same amount of fluid back in. I'm going to go with the cheapest for this, which I think it's the Toyota "T-IV" which is $6 at the dealership. Then I'll drive it for a month, then move on to step 2. I'm going to buy a MityVac or Pela oil extractor for $100. I'll try to suck 100% of the fluid out through the dipstick tube. Then I'll drop the pan, clean the magnets, spray brake cleaner on the screen thing, put a new seal on, torque to spec, then refill with the proper amount of fluid.
2008 base 1.8L 285k
zbyers

Re: Best Transmission Fluid Type

Post by zbyers »

I've used the Castrol Import (I think it's called. Basically same flavor as that Valvoline.

Most opt to drain it multiple times across a few oil change methods vs. spending the money on a fluid transfer pump/vacuum that you won't use all that often.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I've been using MaxLife, personally, with no issues.
tjdean01

Post by tjdean01 »

Thanks, guys. So, I was out in 20 degree F weather last night. Tires were covered in snow so I couldn't even drive all the way up on ramps. I got half way up the ramp and locked the rear brakes: high enough! Truthfully you don't need ramps or a jack, though it does make it easier.

Upon inspection the transmission fluid was pretty brown. I thought it was red when we bought it, and maybe it was, but that was a year ago, and I haven't been the one driving it. And, I did end up using the blue Valvoline Multi-Vehicle Import stuff: a) been good in the Camry, b) can buy for $6 locally or $24 locally for the big jug, c) says "Toyota Type IV" right on it.

Anyway, draining the transmission pan, I got 132 oz (4 quarts, 4 oz)! Why did I get so much?! I only bought 4 quarts (128 oz) so I put those back in, drove it a while, put it in park checked the fluid, and although it's hard to check, it seemed close enough to being within the range, so I left it. I was going to put 4 oz of the old fluid back it but I think it might have been too full before. Hmm.
2008 base 1.8L 285k
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Keep us posted if the new tranny fluid makes a nice difference for you.

I cannot recall the exact drain/fill specification off the top of my head. I think it is somewhere around what you drained out.

Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

I checked my notes and when I drained the Transmission Fluid, I replaced with ~3.3 quarts of Toyota Type IV which I believe is close to what it should be. Note that the Torque spec. is 13 ft.lbs for the tranny plug bolt - - which is much less than the oil plug bolt that is 26 ft. lbs.

I like to stay with Toyota Type IV fluid myself but would also consider the Valvoline or Castro Multi Import. I personally would not use the Valvoline MaxLife. MaxLife is LV and “a one size fits all”. I was concerned with the 5.9 csT when the Toyota is just above 7. It's probably no big deal and I know many have been using MaxLife but I am happy staying with the Type IV.
2005 Base - 220k
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I would use the T-IV fluid. I have 260K on mine and zero issues. Power flushed at 60K then drain and fills till now. Why chance with another type of fluid ?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Jammin81

Post by Jammin81 »

Hello and hope all are staying safe from the $h!t virus.

I have been sick for nearly a month because of it and can't wait for summer..... :(

Anyway - I'm at 100K miles on an 07 1.8L Vibe and wanted some advice on flush / drain and refill!

I'm hesitant to do a full flush, but wanted some advice from owners here and also the type of fluid to use. I keep hearing about the Toyota T-IV fluid (if it was for all Toyotas?) and would it work for an old 07 Vibe?

Peace and stay safe!
She had a face like a box of frogs!
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Toyota Type IV is indeed your fluid and the fluid of the first generation Vibe. We second generation Vibe owners have World Standard (WS) fluid in our transmissions. I currently have Amsoil synthetic in my transmission that my trustee mechanic in San Diego said was good. I've been having some odd shifts with the Amsoil but I also don't think my car was born with the best transmission from the getgo. Stick with the OEM Toyota T-IV and you will be fine for your model year. I have had 3 fluid changes in my Vibe and all have been hard "flushes." I was confident that since it was done at a regular interval that I likely did not have any varnish in my housing that could become dislodged. If you are uncertain as to how frequently your last exchange(s) was/were, you will want to perform the more gentle drain and fill and at closer intervals than what the manual states.
Oh, and welcome to the COVID family. I shot baskets today for the first time. It looked like I had 2 bottles of wine in my system as I trudged through my shooting routine.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I just buy Toyota Type IV from the local Toyota dealer. Since it's a 60,000 mile or more interval I don't really care about saving a few bucks on fluid.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I've used the Castrol Import Multivehicle (or some name like that) without issue for over 180k...Obviously have changed it throughout, but haven't had any issues with said fluid.