2019 Coolant

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
fredhardaway

2019 Coolant

Post by fredhardaway »

Of course I have read and re-read all the info and discussion surrounding the coolant on these boards.
SO is anyone clear as to what came in these 2009-2010 Vibes from the "FACTORY".
Was it Dex-Cool which all the GM and store service people swear it was, or was it PINK or some sort.
Is there any Dex-Cool actual pink, it is orange right? Or does it turn pink over time???

I have a 2009 Vibe, bought in 2015, now at over 120,000.

The coolant level in the reservoir just below low right now, so I was going to add some.

It is definitely PINK color. The GM place that has serviced it since 2008 said DEX-COOL pink.
I was about to check out of O-Reilly with a Zerex Pink for Toyota and the checkout person said no way, you want Dex-Cool, 'yes it's pink'
I get that and it is definitely NOT pink, it is orange.

Is it safe to assume that this 2009 still has the TOYOTA pink in it, and that I should add a Toyota Pink or like alternative?

I checked the service history and no apparent flush has been made. It still had the original battery from Toyota from 2008-2016.

If it is still running great, do I need to do a flush/change yet?

THANKS!
Caretaker

Re: 2019 Coolant

Post by Caretaker »

there's never been any doubt on these boards actually. Second gen Vibes: Toyota Super Long Life Coolant (pink). Zerex Asian is a perfect match. If you have any other rainbow colors in your overflow tank, or you have doubts, get it all out and replace with the SLLC-pink. Cheers.
Transylvania

Post by Transylvania »

Totally agree. Just replaced the coolant in my 2009 Base with PEAK pink coolant for the 2nd time. No issues whatsoever. It's a Toyota engine after all.
jolt

Post by jolt »

The 2009 Vibe came from the factory with pink coolant. GM DEX-COOL is orange. Other types of coolant can be colored different depending on the manufacture of the coolant but DEX-COOL is always orange no matter who made it.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I think these fellas covered it. Zerex Asian is a perfect fit and readily available at most parts stores.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
fredhardaway

Post by fredhardaway »

Thanks!
So if would Orange Dex-Cool mix with the pink that's in there?
Why would all the service people call the Dex-Cool pink if it is orange?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

You should not mix the different flavors of coolant. If you have the orange dex-cool, most here would recommend removing it, and going with toyota pink. There are a select for that would say leave well enough alone.

If it's toyota pink, add some more.

Most shops would assume it requires dex-cool since there is a GM badge on the car, as they do not know it is a toyota.

To also note, if you are low, do you have a leak? There is something that would have caused the coolant to go somewhere. Just something to keep an eye on if it happens to go low again.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
fredhardaway

Post by fredhardaway »

Thanks zbyers
Could the pink in there be the original from 11 years ago and mine is just at the LOW mark.
Could that be general evaporation over 11 years? There is no obvious leak right now.
It was resold twice for the same GM dealer.

So why would it be so common for GM dealers that definitely deal with many vibes( I have seen many 2009-2010 locally still looking good with their dealership sticker on it) to insist it is pink dex-cool if it is not?

I have seen some posts on non-vibe forums saying that dex-cool does/could turn pink with use.
Is that statement totally wrong?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

fredhardaway wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:08 am I have seen some posts on non-vibe forums saying that dex-cool does/could turn pink with use.
Is that statement totally wrong?
That is true in my experience with the two vehicles we own that have this coolant. The coolant starts out orange, but changes to a reddish/pinkish color over time. From what I gather, that is the result of the dye breaking down after all those heat cycles.

This is the Ford's "Motorcraft Orange" factory fill (which is essentially Dexcool) after almost 5 years.
coolant2.jpg
coolant2.jpg (110.83 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
Here's the Dexcool in my Sonic.
coolant1.jpg
coolant1.jpg (125.7 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
I have zero experience with the Toyota pink coolant, but from what I've seen in the pics the fresh stuff is a different shade than what I've seen Dexcool change into. No idea what that stuff looks like after some age compared to Dexcool.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is more info: https://parts.olathetoyota.com/blog/ult ... lor-guide/
You can dig around and find a lot more information but the basic fact is that the Vibe has a Toyota drive train and electrical system in it. Stick to what Toyota recommends for a Matrix and you will be good to go.
fredhardaway

Post by fredhardaway »

Thanks Colonel!
Mine is definitely more pink than that, just compared it to a Toyota in person and it is a closer match to that.