Timing Chain for '05 VVT-i 1ZZ-FE Questions/Concerns

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Melissa18L

Timing Chain for '05 VVT-i 1ZZ-FE Questions/Concerns

Post by Melissa18L »

first off, i'm super anxious about anyone cracking open my engine. :?

the mechanic that always works on my car says he can hear the timing chain. is this possible?

i mentioned replacing the tensioner first, but he seemed sure at 251K that the timing chain needs replaced.

he also said the oil pump would probably need replaced. does that sound accurate?

he said parts would be expensive but when I looked up the timing chain set it was only $120?? (i order my own parts from rockauto and ship to him. he uses NAPA, but I think they are overpriced)

who would you let replace the timing chain in your vibe? is this something a capable mechanic can do in a garage? should i get/pay for a 2nd opinion from toyota service at the dealership?

and just making 100% sure there are no special snowflake parts because its an AWD!?

thanks!!
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow!
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
Bookworm

Re: Timing Chain for '05 VVT-i 1ZZ-FE Questions/Concerns

Post by Bookworm »

Melissa18L wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:36 pm first off, i'm super anxious about anyone cracking open my engine. :?

the mechanic that always works on my car says he can hear the timing chain. is this possible?

i mentioned replacing the tensioner first, but he seemed sure at 251K that the timing chain needs replaced.

he also said the oil pump would probably need replaced. does that sound accurate?

he said parts would be expensive but when I looked up the timing chain set it was only $120?? (i order my own parts from rockauto and ship to him. he uses NAPA, but I think they are overpriced)

who would you let replace the timing chain in your vibe? is this something a capable mechanic can do in a garage? should i get/pay for a 2nd opinion from toyota service at the dealership?

and just making 100% sure there are no special snowflake parts because its an AWD!?

thanks!!
1) Timing chains aren't new technology. The ones in the old cars (60's, for example), did require regular replacement. I think that most of us have never changed them, however. My old Vibe was well past 300,000 (it's still running, just not on the road) on the original timing chain.

2) Yes, it's possible to hear it. There's a timing chain tensioner that can go bad.

3) Not sure why the oil pump would need to be replaced, but it might be one of those parts where if you have the chain off already, might as well replace it. Same with water pump :)

So, he may be more experienced with the pre-timing belt chains, which were nowhere near as robust as the chains used today. I used to hear some horror stories about them breaking when I worked with a couple of racers back in the early 90's.
jolt

Post by jolt »

You will want to check if your engine has filter screens for the oil going to the VVT. If it does, be sure the filter screens are clean. When you price out the timing chain, check on price of gears and chain guides also. When you do the timing chain, now is the time to replace the water pump, hoses, belt, thermostat, and coolant also. The labor should not be that much more than just doing the chain as most of those items will be mostly apart or off for the chain replacement. The car is already 14 years old so thing of those things as preventive maintenance.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Does the timing chain need replaced? What issues are you having?

You're down in Punxsy area, right? If so, I'm only ~1hr from you. I wouldn't be able to replace the timing chain if needed, but could come take a gander since I have family in the area. Unless you felt like venturing up this way to Warren, PA.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

zbyers wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 am Does the timing chain need replaced? What issues are you having?

You're down in Punxsy area, right? If so, I'm only ~1hr from you. I wouldn't be able to replace the timing chain if needed, but could come take a gander since I have family in the area. Unless you felt like venturing up this way to Warren, PA.
no issues, the mechanic that usually works on my car says he can hear it and recommended replacing it. especially before it breaks.
Melissa 1.8L - 2005 Fusion Orange Metallic Moon and Tunes Gen1 AWD 1.8L "TANGERINE"
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

this is the one that comes with the gear.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 9&jsn=1729
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Melissa18L wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:00 am
zbyers wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 am Does the timing chain need replaced? What issues are you having?

no issues, the mechanic that usually works on my car says he can hear it and recommended replacing it. especially before it breaks.
I'd say replace the timing chain tensioner and then reevaluate from there. typically, unless abused, the chain won't break. the objective of the tensioner is to take up any slack the chain may develop over time.

Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

zbyers wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:29 am

I'd say replace the timing chain tensioner and then reevaluate from there. typically, unless abused, the chain won't break. the objective of the tensioner is to take up any slack the chain may develop over time.
i did suggest the tensioner to him. he seemed to want to replace everything.
so if we replace the tensioner, adjust it and it still makes noise then the chain needs replaced?
Melissa18L

Post by Melissa18L »

jolt wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:36 am You will want to check if your engine has filter screens for the oil going to the VVT. If it does, be sure the filter screens are clean. When you price out the timing chain, check on price of gears and chain guides also. When you do the timing chain, now is the time to replace the water pump, hoses, belt, thermostat, and coolant also. The labor should not be that much more than just doing the chain as most of those items will be mostly apart or off for the chain replacement. The car is already 14 years old so thing of those things as preventive maintenance.
what are they screening for? chunks of the timing chain or just in general to make sure there is no metal in the oil?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Melissa18L wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:06 am
zbyers wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:29 am

i did suggest the tensioner to him. he seemed to want to replace everything.
so if we replace the tensioner, adjust it and it still makes noise then the chain needs replaced?
There's really no adjusting the timing chain tensioner itself. basically you would remove the old one, install the new one, and then put a socket on the alternator and rotate counterclockwise until you hear the tensioner click to release and grab the chain. linky below has some more info on how to do it.

it's something you could even do at home. The tensioner is like $30 from MWR, and takes 30min tops to do on a 1ZZ engine. :D

viewtopic.php?t=39998

jolt

Post by jolt »

Melissa18L wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:08 am
jolt wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:36 am You will want to check if your engine has filter screens for the oil going to the VVT. If it does, be sure the filter screens are clean. When you price out the timing chain, check on price of gears and chain guides also. When you do the timing chain, now is the time to replace the water pump, hoses, belt, thermostat, and coolant also. The labor should not be that much more than just doing the chain as most of those items will be mostly apart or off for the chain replacement. The car is already 14 years old so think of those things as preventive maintenance.
what are they screening for? chunks of the timing chain or just in general to make sure there is no metal in the oil?
Some cars have a fine mess screen in the oil passage that feeds the VVT cam gear. The screen picks up particles and traps them so that they do not get inside the cam gear and cause the gear to stick or jam. The screen can get plugged or reduce oil pressure to the gear. When this gets real bad, you will get a check engine light. It would be just to make sure you had good pressure to your VVT cam gear in case that was your noise and to check to see how much, if any, sludge could be in your oil feed passages. The timing chain tensioner works off oil pressure also which may be why your mechanic suggested to change the oil pump too. I do not know if the 1ZZ engines have the screens but the 2ZZ engines do.

The newer '09 1.8L engines have a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on the VVT camshaft gear causing a noise at start up and Toyota released an updated part number for a replacement camshaft gear. This is on the '09-'10 1.8L engines. Is the noise just at start up or does the engine noise happen all the time?