1ZZFE Extra Cooling Line?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
hipwr

1ZZFE Extra Cooling Line?

Post by hipwr »

I have posted this on other sites with no response. After finding this site and noticing the incredible knowledge of the members I thought I'd give it one last shot.

I have a 2005 Matrix that needed the engine replaced. I bought what I thought was a 1ZZ-FE engine from a reseller. When I went to install it, every thing fit perfect except one thing. Directly under the intake manifold there is, what appears to be, a cooling line. It comes out of the block, takes a 90 degree turn, goes horizontal (towards the fan) for a bit, then goes vertical down to the bottom of the engine and then heads toward the radiator. This was NOT on the original engine I removed. (I know, should have gotten the new engine model number off the block before bolting it to the transmission, but I digress) As a result, I have no where to connect this line. What do I do? If I knew what this connected to, I might be able to modify the piping and make it work. Let me know if you need a photo.
zbyers

Re: 1ZZFE Extra Cooling Line?

Post by zbyers »

Post some pics of the engine in question, as well as the coolant line you're referring to.

It's possible this was some minor difference between model years the engine was used.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

If you can find the engine model number, that might help as well.

I'll happily crawl under my car and compare photos.
hipwr

Post by hipwr »

Here is a photo of where the line comes out. On my old engine it is flat steel, nothing there.
Hose on 1ZZFE.jpg
Hose on 1ZZFE.jpg (819.36 KiB) Viewed 2043 times
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'll take an inspection mirror and look under my intake manifold in a bit.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

This write up is regarding the intake manifold gasket, but shows the same location, and that coolant line is not present. https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/di ... cs.410129/

Specific Image that I am referring too...

Do you know what year/model vehicle that the engine was removed from?

hipwr

Post by hipwr »

I stumbled across this when searching for an answer. Anyone have an idea if this could be it?

"The 2004 and newer Matrix and Corolla XRS models were equipped with smog pumps and have an extra hole above each exhaust port in the engine head and manifold where air is injected to achieve complete fuel burning before the exhaust stream reaches the catalyst. All 2ZZ-GE heads from 03/03 onwards carry this modification even if the vehicle does not have the air injection system."
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

hipwr wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:34 am I stumbled across this when searching for an answer. Anyone have an idea if this could be it?

"The 2004 and newer Matrix and Corolla XRS models were equipped with smog pumps and have an extra hole above each exhaust port in the engine head and manifold where air is injected to achieve complete fuel burning before the exhaust stream reaches the catalyst. All 2ZZ-GE heads from 03/03 onwards carry this modification even if the vehicle does not have the air injection system."
Yes, what you have quoted is true; however, you said you have a 1ZZ so the aforementioned would not be applicable.

hipwr

Post by hipwr »

I ordered a 1ZZFE. Looked exactly the same (except for the extra line) so I didn't think to check the model number on the engine before installing it. Is there any way to get the model number without taking it back off the transmission?
hipwr

Post by hipwr »

Here is what I found stamped on the block:

1ZZ

So now what? It appears to be a 1ZZ engine but no one can figure out what it is?
hipwr

Post by hipwr »

If anyone would like to act as a consultant to help me get this engine running, I have unmarked paypal bucks waiting for you. Please private message me.
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

You've told us about that extra cooling line but I haven't seen anything on why the engine is not running.

Maybe start another thread and explain details of what is going on now - is the engine starting up at all but running ruff ? , what engine codes are showing up, etc.

Report if you have checked some of the basics like compression and tried spraying starting fluid in the throttle body to rule out fuel delivery issues? If those check then you are left with ignition and often you will get an engine code.

Could someone have installed a different head (2ZZ-GE) on a 1ZZ block or do both engines share the same block ? (I don't know)

Maybe someone can help point you along the next step to narrow down what your focus should be after giving more info.
2005 Base - 220k
hipwr

Post by hipwr »

The original 1ZZ-FE engine that was in this car was blown when I let a "friend" borrow it. I purchased a replacement engine from a third party reseller and attempted to install that engine. That is where I stopped. During the install, I ran across this extra "line" and I can't figure out what to do with it. Therefore, the engine is half way installed. I have no idea if the engine will even start because I haven't got far. If I knew what to do with that line I could complete the install.

You did make an excellent observation, the head may have been replaced with a 2ZZ and neither I, or the reseller, realized it. The engine looked to be clean and in original condition. But who knows?