Rear diff drain and fill plugs

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
awdVibeNoobie

Rear diff drain and fill plugs

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

When I was looking a bit closer over my Vibe, I noticed that both the rear diff drain and fill plugs were super rusty. I stopped at the local dealer to see if I can buy new and was told one of them is NLA but the parts guy came me the size of both plugs which was nice. Both are the same (M8 x 1.5) except the drain plug is a tad bit longer (12 mm vs. 10 mm). A quick Google search I found this drain plug and I'm guessing using this plug for both drain and fill plugs won't hurt anything with them being the same length?
03 awd Vibe my backup vehicle
joatmon

Re: Rear diff drain and fill plugs

Post by joatmon »

I can't see how the slight length difference could matter in a differential drain plug. Its job is just to not leak.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

awdVibeNoobie wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 amWhen I was looking a bit closer over my Vibe, I noticed that both the rear diff drain and fill plugs were super rusty.
When you say "super rusty", did you try to loosen them and they are stripped out or are they just 'rusty'?

The drain plug has a magnet in it to catch metal bits, but the fill plug does not.

Even stainless steel will rust when exposed to road salt brine...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
awdVibeNoobie

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

joatmon wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:40 am I can't see how the slight length difference could matter in a differential drain plug. Its job is just to not leak.
That's what I was guessing.

ehoff121 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 am
awdVibeNoobie wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 amWhen I was looking a bit closer over my Vibe, I noticed that both the rear diff drain and fill plugs were super rusty.
When you say "super rusty", did you try to loosen them and they are stripped out or are they just 'rusty'?

The drain plug has a magnet in it to catch metal bits, but the fill plug does not.

Even stainless steel will rust when exposed to road salt brine...
I haven't tried to loosen them yet. I want to change out the fluid and usually with my luck I strip out rusty nuts, bolts, screws, etc. I rather be safe then sorry and have new replacement drain plugs on hand.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Those will definitely be a PITA to remove. And remember: loosen the fill before the drain. You're SOL if you drain it, but can't break the fill open.

I'd also try to find some that you can fit a socket on instead of using a hex/allen key. As ehoff mentioned, the actual drain one will have a magnet (probably account for the different length).
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

zbyers wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:50 amI'd also try to find some that you can fit a socket on instead of using a hex/allen key.
I have a hazy memory of a front transfer case that had a bolt for the fill- could have been on my wife's Highlander...
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I know my 03 and 04 GT use a 10mm hex for fill plug, but a 22mm??? socket for the drain.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
awdVibeNoobie

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

What material is the gasket for these plugs? Copper? Aluminum? Other?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

awdVibeNoobie wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 pm What material is the gasket for these plugs? Copper? Aluminum? Other?
Generally copper or steel. I don't know that I've seen an aluminum washer on these things. If it's like the transmission/oil pan, it's a crush washer.
awdVibeNoobie

Post by awdVibeNoobie »

I'll go with copper gaskets