trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd WOT like hitting a wall

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
fst

trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd WOT like hitting a wall

Post by fst »

so ever since I bought my 03 gt at 160k miles I changed the fluid and added the speed source brass shifter bushing and rear lower engine poly mount. the latter helped with the wheel hop and I had hoped that the shifter bushings would help with the shifting, especially with the 2nd to 3rd gear upshift at WOT....but it didn't. it doesn't happen all the time but majority of the time it happens.
here's the scenario, going full throttle up to 8k RPMs in 2nd gear and quickly upshifting to 3rd but it wont go in, like hitting a wall. so I would have to let go of the shifter to let it back into neutral then gradually ease into shifting to 3rd will it accept it.
what would cause this issue or what would fix this? a couple ppl on the fb group suggested a short shifter? this shifting thing is frustrating, especially when I would like to drive the car spiriting around.
01 Z28-3600 stall, A4, HPTuned, FTRA, LTs 12.3@113
03 Vibe GT (daily)
(Sold)98 GTP-zzp z7 turbo kit, FBO, tune, alky injection 12.3@118
(Sold)98 V6 Firebird-LQ4 swap, cam, LTs, 3.73s, stock 9.4:1CR 12.4@115
tpollauf

Re: trying to shift from 2nd to 3rd WOT like hitting a wall

Post by tpollauf »

fst wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:09 am added the speed source brass shifter bushing
Why did you add the brass shifter bushing in the first place? Did you have "sloppy" shifting when you first purchased the car? The reason that I'm asking is because I am having very sloppy shifting in my 2004 Vibe GT and will look into how to restore it close to original soon. I can move the shift knob a good 3/4" no matter what gear it is in. This is a wearing issue at the shifter only, not the shift levers on the transmission. I really can't help you specifically BUT maybe all 6-speeds will/are experiencing this after 100+K miles or more.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
fst

Post by fst »

the shifter is nice and tight in all gears before and after the shifter bushing. there's a bit of play when in neutral.
03 Vibe GT (daily)
jolt

Post by jolt »

You may want to look into buying one of these: https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/prod ... e-2003-08/

I have never seen a OEM cable shift that was any good for speed shifting. Another thing that can cause hard shifts are bad/worn synchronizes in the transmission. Good luck
fst

Post by fst »

someone on the genvibe facebook group also suggested trying this short shifter out, but the question is, will it solve the 2-3 upshift? also, curious, since I've mainly driven autos most of my life, are there any lubrications/grease under the shifter boot/linkage area that needs lubed every so often?
03 Vibe GT (daily)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I had an 03 5 speed, and it seemed the only place that might benefit from lubricant was where the shift cables attached to the tranny. First time I replaced the tranny ( from the early 5 speed bearing issue) those pivot points were pretty gunked up. Weren't seized, but dirty. If you're only having the trouble 2 to 3 at WOT and nowhere else, I wouldn't suspect the shifter or linkages. It might be. I thought I was wrong once. ;)

I was once given a 66 Ford Falcon that had a manual 3 speed (on the tree). It had an unsynchronized first gear, which meant that to downshift from 2nd to 1st while moving you had to double clutch. I never drove it enough to master that technique. Not saying you need to double clutch on yours, but perhaps just letting up on the pedal a bit from WOT when shifting 2 to 3 might make it easier to get it in gear but still stay in lift
jolt

Post by jolt »

joatmon, that Falcon 3 speed should have had a synchronizer for first gear, my '63 did. The synchronizer for first gear must have been bad in it. You would need to get back into the mid to late fifty's to still have a straight cut gear transmission with no synchro's unless you had a pick with the granny gear.

As for the Vibe shift, take it apart, clean it and lube it. Lube the cables and the connection joints. Use silicone or light oil on the shifter, use liquid graphite in a oil base on the cables (speedometer cable lube). That is as good as it gets. If it does not work for you then replace it and like I said before, I have never seen a OEM cable shifter that was any good for speed shifting. If you miss a shift with the engine wide open and grenade the engine or transmission, was it with it? You are trying to make the shifter do something that it was not designed to do, replace it with a part that was designed for your purpose.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Looking at some ford forums, it seems ford did have a "2.77" 3 speed with unsynch 1st in that year. To be honest, all I can testify to is that particular instance of a vehicle had an unsynch 1st, whether by design or failure (or design failure ;) ) but thats a thread hijack

maybe a different shifter would help fst