A246E diagnostics

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ihaveavibe

A246E diagnostics

Post by ihaveavibe »

Hi

I have an 03 base auto Vibe which I believe means I've got an A246E transmission.

I've been tracking down poor fuel economy, suspecting slippage in low gears, etc., so I'm thinking of doing some diagnostics, basically a stall test and a hydraulic test. For the latter I need to locate the pressure tap or test plug. The manual says "transaxle case front left side" but that seems strange, like it would be under the transmission mount. Does anyone actually know where the pressure tap is? A photo would be wonderful.

I'm also thinking of doing a full fluid change and have the ATF pumped out with the engine spinning the torque converter, like you see in videos on youtube. Can someone tell me the direction of the flow in the cooler lines? I think the clearest explanation would be knowing whether it flows into or comes out of the radiator at the top attachment point.

Thanks! If anyone would care to share any experience doing the above, would be much appreciated.
blue_can

Re: A246E diagnostics

Post by blue_can »

Here you go. I've not done a line pressure check on the A246E so I cannot tell you exactly how to find it but hopefully this photo will help. It looks like it is next to one of the servo pistons (the cylinder on the left). It's usually close to the bottom near the pan since the tap comes off the primary pressure regulator in the VB.

As for your other question - don't know the answer but you can simply disconnect both cooler lines, briefly start and stop the engine and observe which line ATF is being pumped out of. I have done fluid exchange this way on other transmissions - not yet on the 246E.
20190429_210718 (338x600).jpg
20190429_210718 (338x600).jpg (131.01 KiB) Viewed 982 times
'07 Vibe
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

Thanks. My tranny doesn't look anything like that graphic though. I think the tap is really under the battery holder area, probably better accessible by removing the driver's side splash shield. I saw something with a mirror but couldn't take a photo. Will try again when I get underneath.

Yeah, I know about removing both hoses, I was just hoping someone knows the answer already :)
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

Weird - this is from the '07 manual although I cannot imagine much if any difference between the '03 and '07 model.

The text that is partially obscured says - "remove the pressure tap bolt from the rear of the transaxle". I assume you've viewed it from the rear and don;t see it - and does not look like the image I attached. In previous cars I've done line pressure tests in all cases the tap was at the back. My guess is that it is at the back.

As far as the oil cooler lines - if you are going to disconnect them you may as well also flush the oil cooler.
'07 Vibe