Shifter Cables Source

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Misanthrope

Shifter Cables Source

Post by Misanthrope »

Hello members. One of my shifter cables broke, and I'm looking for replacements. It seems as if GM no longer makes them. This is for a 2009 GT with the 5 speed manual. Several online GM warehouses came back with unable to find responses. Any ideas? I haven't tried a "stealership" yet.
Other than this issue, the old girl has been running fine.
SeattleJeremy

Re: Shifter Cables Source

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Does anyone know if the 1.8 5-speed is the same as the 2.4 5-speed? Maybe the first and second gen cars use the same shift cables?

I did some digging on Rockauto and Amazon, but came up with nothing. Best I could find was this on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/09-10-11-12-13 ... 4063223031

Here is a Corolla shift cable for a 1.8L, but I'm not sure if the length is the same.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Toyota-Co ... 2623084758
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

No. The base model 5 speed uses a different part. I found the last one at a dealership in Maryland and am working on getting it now. GM no longer makes them. Once i get them, I'll go to a Toyota dealer and see if i can find the same part. I'll post up that number once i get it. I was hoping someone already knew the matching Toyota part number. If not I'll try to get it. I'm surprised that it failed so early. 80k miles mostly highway. Ahh well, such is life.
Thanks for your help!
I love vibe owners ;)
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

Oh, none of the parts places like Autozone, O'Reilly's, etc have them. No online sites either. If I'm lucky enough to get the GM part from Maryland, I'll use it to compare when I go to Toyota.
Forgive my typos. I'm out and also frustrated.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I understand your frustration Toyota and GM haven't made this type of stuff easy. I hope you can find the equivalent part.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Ebay has some that they say came off of a Corolla, which should be the same as the Matrix.

https://www.ebay.com/i/223483450208?chn=ps
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

The cable is on its way from the Maryland dealership. According to them, it's the last one in the country. I wouldn't doubt that. I'll try to take them to Toyota and see if i can get the corresponding part number for the Vibe community. Wish me luck!

Thanks for the help folks! You guys are better than my Mustang forum idiots :x :lol:
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Glad you found one. Do NOT throw away your existing one just yet. How did it break in the first place? Hard "slamming" of the gears while shifting? Just simple metal fatigue where something broke? Post pics of the damage if possible. I'm curious for a couple reasons. One I own the exact car/year/engine & tranny as you do and want to be aware that this "could" possibly happen to me as well as others out there. Second, depending on how/where it broke, it likely can be fixed. Having access to almost every possible metal working machine (welders, brakes, lathe, brigeport, milling machines, presses, etc...) there's very little that I would not be able to fix ... or at least attempt to fix. Let us know how the repair goes. Good luck ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Misanthrope

Post by Misanthrope »

Roger that.
8-)