Missing engine ...caper

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
bratboy

Missing engine ...caper

Post by bratboy »

I have to ask a question about a phenomenon I have noticed the last couple of years. My friend and I go to the auto wrecker while he's in town because to him it is a form of meditation. Let's not going to his mental health. So I've noticed that compared to other cars, the drivetrain from the vibe and Matrix are often gone. I just saw five cars in 1 wrecker this weekend and all engines we're missing. Is this because the engines grenade often or because even the low lean on GT drivetrain is desirable for another car? Me has to know.
tpollauf

Re: Missing engine ...caper

Post by tpollauf »

If this is a big salvage yard they likely have a separate building for storing engine & transmissions only. By pulling them from the car they can store them and are more readily available to sell complete on short notice.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

That's a good point. With the engines out it also makes stacking the cars more stable.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
bratboy

Post by bratboy »

Nope, nothing gets stored. It's all pick your parts. And the same goes for the other two yards in a nearby city...drivetrain are almost always gone.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The drivetrains are used in other Toyotas.

Can't speak to how often the engines grenade in the wild, but its pretty rare here among genvibers. One positive way of looking at it is that all those missing engines that have been sold must have survived the wreck well enough to be worth pulling and reusing
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The drive trains in these are pretty reliable. with slight variations throughout the years, the 1zz was in cars from the mid90s to 2008. given the longevity of these, its quite possible they do get pulled that fast.

I would still suspect tpollauf is correct. Many yards, even pick-a-part yards, do have outbuildings they store engines/trans in. it's quite possible they get bought up before even going in the yard.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
bratboy

Post by bratboy »

I know these places well, and that's the thing...they don't have storage or removal areas. Even if they did, why this engine over so many others!? So I guess the engines are that popular...which really surprises me. I can understand the GT engine, but not the base.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

bratboy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:34 am I know these places well, and that's the thing...they don't have storage or removal areas. Even if they did, why this engine over so many others!? So I guess the engines are that popular...which really surprises me. I can understand the GT engine, but not the base.
There must be somebody in your neck of the woods who prefers to change the engine rather than the oil. ;)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I used to love hitting the junkyards, but now most of them near me no longer allow walking the yard to scrounge for parts
Last edited by joatmon on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
bratboy

Post by bratboy »

And the alien was on its way back to Mexico?
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I know engines are removed before they go into a crusher - the crushers can't break cast iron blocks.
bratboy

Post by bratboy »

Pick-n-Pull leaves entire car out for going to the crusher. Before it heads to the crusher they clear a row and that's probably when they remove the drivetrain is once it's out of the actual yard.
350kVibe

Post by 350kVibe »

vibrologist wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am There must be somebody in your neck of the woods who prefers to change the engine rather than the oil. ;)
I wouldn't doubt it. XD

Also... There was a recall for certain Toyotas having to do with bad piston rings that, among a variety of other quirks, caused an unacceptable amount of oil loss. (Apparently 1 quart every 1000 miles or less is where they draw the line, but not before). A lot of people might just take to replacing the engines instead of attempting to diagnose and fix specific issues when they start burning much oil, as many Toyotas Vibes do, especially if they can get one cheap from a scrap yard.
2009 Vibe GT
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

350kVibe wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:58 pm
vibrologist wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:56 am There must be somebody in your neck of the woods who prefers to change the engine rather than the oil. ;)
I wouldn't doubt it. XD

Also... There was a recall for certain Toyotas having to do with bad piston rings that, among a variety of other quirks, caused an unacceptable amount of oil loss. (Apparently 1 quart every 1000 miles or less is where they draw the line, but not before). A lot of people might just take to replacing the engines instead of attempting to diagnose and fix specific issues when they start burning much oil, as many Toyotas Vibes do, especially if they can get one cheap from a scrap yard.
The oil burning was on the 09 2AZ (2.4L). This really isn't a huge issue if watched. This engine was also one of the least common in the vibes. I presume OP was referring to the 1ZZ or 2ZZ as those are the most common engines these cars had.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe