2003 with CEL code P1345 from dealer

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
MomsOGVibe

2003 with CEL code P1345 from dealer

Post by MomsOGVibe »

Hi, i’m A new member. I am driving a 2003 AWD Vibe in silver. My mom bought this new, she died in 2010 and my dad kept the car. I’ve been driving it so I can transport him around (my other cars are trucks). This car has been mostly trouble-free, except the battery tends to die if we leave it parked for an extended time.

Brought Vibe to dealer for (2nd) air bag recall. While there, I asked them for oil change, new tires (Michelin Cross Climate), and 4-wheel alignment. They called me and said the check engine light had come on. The data port wasn’t reading any codes. They had to secure a ground connection, the port works, and the code they got is P1345: “...is for a cam timing concern, possible engine tear down needed to verify fault.”

This car had no CEL prior to dealer visit, and was running fine. We took car home with CEL on to drive and observe. I am experiencing intermittent hesitation, misfiring? with it now, at 35-40 mph and about 1500 rpm, and when starting from a stop.

Any thoughts, advice or experience? I’d like to keep the car, it has only 58,500 miles. I’m feeling mistrustful of the dealership since this problem cropped up in their care.

Thanks in advance!
Caretaker

Re: 2003 with CEL code P1345 from dealer

Post by Caretaker »

??Not trusting a dealer??? Now that's a sure sign of sanity !

Everyone needs to know when their plugs and ignition coils were replaced. Hopefully your dad will know the answer; that should always be a starting point as it is a mandatory preventative maintenance item and a job you can easily do yourself. Mileage doesn't kill cars; time does. If your mileage is that low, once can assume they are the original plugs and ignition coils. 16+ years is waaaaay too long for a preventative maintenance item
jolt

Post by jolt »

Here is a link with information about the code P1345 for Toyota since the Vibe is a Toyota: https://www.autocodes.com/p1345_toyota.html

Anything short of having the proper equipment to trouble shoot this code is just guessing. It could be the cam sensor, the crank sensor, the wiring between the sensor and ECM, the ECM, mechanical problems with the VVT gear for starters. Do NOT take it back to the GM dealer. Most do not know much of anything about a Toyota engine. You would be better off finding an independent service garage that works on Toyota's and have them look at it. A Toyota dealership would be a good place too but some of them will not work on a Vibe but you could ask. To just start buying parts and replacing them can add up quickly and you still may not find the bad part so my advise is to seek a second service garage that can locate the problem with proper testing and give an estimate of the repair needed.

Also a bad battery and/or alternator along with poor grounding connections and cables can cause strange electrical issues. I say this because you stated "except the battery tends to die if we leave it parked for an extended time." This is another problem that may or may not be related to your code problem. This problem also needs to looked at too.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Adding to jolt's advise: there is some inexpensive guess work you can do. Jolt:
It could be the cam sensor, the crank sensor, the wiring between the sensor and ECM,
You can disconnect any of the wiring harnesses and inspect them for corrosion, clean them and reconnect. Same with the battery cables. You can search for parasitic draw and voltage drops. You can take out the alternator and have it tested at a parts store.

The two most important things you have already done: mistrust the dealer and join this forum. Welcome!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
MomsOGVibe

Post by MomsOGVibe »

Thanks for all the helpful advice! I will post an update when I know more.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

If the car sits a lot, get a battery cut off switch. They're used for boats and other similar jobs a lot. Basically, it's an extended terminal clamp. When you know the car will be sitting a while, you rotate the switch, and the battery is completely cut out of the car circuit. When you need the car again, you rotate it back on, and you have a battery that's in a lot better shape.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

When you need the car again, you rotate it back on, and you have a battery that's in a lot better shape.
This has one disadvantage though: the computer will be in relearn mode every time. Using a battery maintainer (trickle charger) could avoid that.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

vibrologist wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:31 pm
When you need the car again, you rotate it back on, and you have a battery that's in a lot better shape.
This has one disadvantage though: the computer will be in relearn mode every time. Using a battery maintainer (trickle charger) could avoid that.
Yes, but that also presupposes that the car is inside a garage or similar with a close plug. I don't assume that sort of thing - in fact, I try to assume that the sucker will be parked on the street. :)
jolt

Post by jolt »

If the battery is going dead after your car sits for more then 2 months then you have something wrong with your car that needs to be fixed. Disconnecting the battery does not fix anything and is just an attempt to cover up the problem or issue with the electrical system. Disconnecting the battery will loose the learned settings for the engine, the automatic transmission, and the radio. In other cars you can also loose the climate controls, seat positions, rear view mirror settings, etc.... A car in storage should have a trickle charger hooked to the battery as it is not good to have a battery discharged because repeated discharging below ~7 volt for long lengths of time and recharging will kill the life of the battery. A dead battery is also going to freeze in the winter which can destroy the battery plates.