New member, correct board for transmission problems?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ecchristian

New member, correct board for transmission problems?

Post by ecchristian »

03 vibe fwd 148k miles

Hey y’all, like the title says I’m not sure if this is the correct spot I should be posting for help but I’m pretty clueless about cars and trying to learn. My vibe has started having this issue of sitting at 2k rpms when in park but it will drop when I put it into gear. On top of this issue my transmission just feels very sticky sometimes and slippery other times. Any amount of gas I give it will make it jump up to 2-3k rpms, even if it’s under 20mph. Also when on the highway if I’m trying to accelerate quickly while already going highway speeds it feels like it caps out at 3k and just starts getting really loud and it won’t shift unless I take my foot off the gas and almost manually make it shift. Any ideas of what could be causing these? I was reading that a vacuum leak can mess with Rpms.

Thanks!
SeattleJeremy

Re: New member, correct board for transmission problems?

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Is the check engine light on? If so can you get the codes scanned?

A common issue on the early vibes is the gasket between the engine and intake manifold fails, which happened to my car. In this case unregulated air (vacuum leak) causes the engine to idle high, and bog when floored. This is a simple fix, any mechanic can do it. Here is a video describing the fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTh3SRYhDyA

For the transmission, I'd say check the fluid level, and top it off if need be.

Also, yes, this is the correct portion of the forum. Glad you joined us :D
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

Regarding the transmission - I would start with a fluid and filter change. When was the last time the transmission was serviced? If it has been a long time the friction material from the clutches and bands can collect inside the valve body and cause shift issues. If the fluid change does not help you can also try some Lubegard additive. I'v found Lubegard useful in situations where I have torn down and rebuilt a transmission but not torn down and rebuilt the valve body. The residue inside the VB after a rebuilt can cause sticky valves and related issues with it like hard shifts but the Lubegard helps improve the friction between the valve and the associated passages and resolves these issues.
'07 Vibe
ecchristian

Post by ecchristian »

Thanks for the replies! I have checked the transmission fluid and that looks fine but I will try all of the other possibilities you guys listed.

The check engine light is not on but it sounds like the same issues I’m having are the ones from the intake manifold gasket, I’m very new to repairing cars but hopefully with the Usenet of that video I can do it without messing anything up