Power Steering Fluid Change Schedule

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
blue_can

Power Steering Fluid Change Schedule

Post by blue_can »

Is there one? I don't believe I see any recommended change intervals in the manual? What do other do?
'07 Vibe

Re: Power Steering Fluid Change Schedule

Post by 2006 »

I was wondering what kind of interval would be adequate myself. Personally, I would do it at least as frequently as an automatic transmission filter/fluid change....which I like to do every 50k km. It only takes about 1 litre/quart of fluid to do a good flush and an hour or so of time.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

blue_can wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:38 am Is there one? I don't believe I see any recommended change intervals in the manual? What do other do?
Simple answer ... NO there is nothing posted in the owners manual about changing the fluid. It merely states to "check it" and add fluids as needed.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

2006 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:59 pm Personally, I would do it at least as frequently as an automatic transmission filter/fluid change....which I like to do every 50k km. It only takes about 1 litre/quart of fluid to do a good flush and an hour or so of time.
Yep, I would do it around the same...about every 25k miles or so. never hurts to do it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

I've never changed it to date (currently 87K miles) - and without a listed schedule It's not clear what to do. The fluid looks like an amber color - not sure if that's normal or if it means it is contaminated. Overall it does not look too bad. From the FSM it seems like the replacement fluid is Dexron III - in other words ATF.

I will look into changing it sometime in the near future.
'07 Vibe