TPS Throttle Position Sensor Relearn

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
skippy911

TPS Throttle Position Sensor Relearn

Post by skippy911 »

2009 Vibe 1.8ltr.
Is there a relearn procedure for my TPS ? Seems like my cars Acceleration is acting odd. RPM drops quicky when taking your foot off the Accel pedal. When at highway crusing speed, takes a few seconds to kick down into a lower gear (gives me a rough shift). Took it in for a diagnostics on the trans, Trans was good, no codes on reader, shop says my TPS was only reading up to 80%. Is there a relearn I can try before I look for a new Throttle Body ? Thanks in Advance.
Caretaker

Re: TPS Throttle Position Sensor Relearn

Post by Caretaker »

I believe so. My mechanic said that several of my PIDS were not calibrated properly. I'll write what he wrote, not understanding a word of it :roll:
Scan showed that the actual and the desired minimum throttle PIDS do not match. Also found minimum throttle setting is not complete. Removed throttle bore assembly and cleaned throttle plates. Now all PIDS block are at correct settings and actual and desired settings match the scan data. Now if I only knew what a PIDS was/is???? :lol:
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

If you're getting a rough shift, you might want to consider a drain and fill on the transmission, depending on the miles.
hogdoctor

Post by hogdoctor »

maybe the dealership can offer a software update to the transmission control module?
skippy911

Post by skippy911 »

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know the results.
skippy911

Post by skippy911 »

Had the Toyota Dealer scan the Vibe last week to rule out TPS, ECU/PCM or Trans solenoids. They reflashed the ECU/PCM for a downshift recall. (No Codes or Voltage problems)
Drained and Filled up the Trans with new Toyota ATFWS Automatic Transmission Fluid. Shifts way better now.. highly recommend it. Going to do it again in a month or so as the torque converter hold a quart or so.
Cars working great again.. Thanks for the Tips.