First oil change. Help needed.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Nohonor937

First oil change. Help needed.

Post by Nohonor937 »

My gf has a 2.4L 2009 vibe and I need to know which oil filter type I need for it.

Also will a strap wrench work on the 2.4 filters?
joatmon

Re: First oil change. Help needed.

Post by joatmon »

in your other thread you said she had a 1.8L, here you say its a 2.4.
Got to be careful, having two girlfriends can be risky ;)

j/k and sorry I can't be help, never touched an 09, but any of the various chain auto parts store web sites can be used to identify which filter you need once you enter the vehicle type . Looks like its different for the 1.8 and the 2.4, but both for an 09 are the paper type (no metal outer shell), remove the housing and replace the inner filter element. My 03 takes the screw on can type
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

One caveat. Look up the parts you need on the auto parts company web site before going to the store. They've been pulling the lookup books, and pointing you to use a smart phone to go to their web site. Your other choice is asking at the counter.

I was at O'Reilly picking up some parts, and I was PISSED. I had a smart phone, but it turns out that the 'filters' page the scan code sends you to is a set of 'filter' questions, including physical size, but -not- the car you're attempting to service. I mean, how many people are going to know the exact dimensions of the air filter they need, or the physical diameter of the oil filter?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nohonor937 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:02 pm Also will a strap wrench work on the 2.4 filters?
YES ! But I usually use my 12 or 16" channel lock pliers as it's being tossed in the trash anyways.

Hand tighten the new one on .... very HAND tight. Never had a problem!

Nohonor937 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:02 pm My gf has a 2.4L 2009 vibe and I need to know which oil filter type I need for it.
Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
90915-YZZF1 Genuine Toyota Oil Filter
Options:
Oil Filter Quantity : 10 $3.63 Each = $36.30, Drain Plug
Gasket (90430-12031) only if you were to need it!

This above quote was from Sparks Toyota where I've bought the 10 pack of oil filters TWICE!
This most recent price was the fall of 2017
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"